28mm true-scale minatures

ArchaicArchaic Join Date: 2008-03-30 Member: 64001Members
just wondering what people's thoughts are on 28mm scale miniatures of marines in various poses with various weapons, skulks, exosuits, the whole shebang(excluding buildings), just ready to be used to create a table top army or star in an ns2 themed role playing game game session (with one of the generic systems).

this would give ns2 an in on a new market (not all table top gamers play computer games), possibly give UWE a way to branch out, and just be damned cool to have available to make dioramas with.

true scale means if you were to scale the model up to human size, it would be more-or-less proportioned correctly. this is opposed to heroic scale which has bulky arms, legs, torsos...the proportions are off to real life.

technical:
-scale of project (how many minis are produced, what types) would depend on interest: on these forums and on the chosen manuf's game forums. suggested minimum is 1 marine and 1 skulk
-miniature scale is standing marine =28mm, no proportions modified (true-scale)
-minature basing - basic round (ie 40k) - chamfered round (warmachine) - hex (battletech) - square (warhammer) - scenic basing would cost more, plain bases are cheap
-packaging - just unassembled minis, a hobbyist stater kit (paints for the minis, a pair of brushes[general and detail], glue for assembly, multiple models), or would we get them assembled and painted prior to end user receiving it?
-manufacturer/sculpter - what material do they work with? where are they located? what do their sculpts look like? what scale do they work in?

im willing to do research on and contact various minature production companies IF there is interest in this sort of thing here.

Comments

• Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    To be honest.. i'd prolly order a pack of 5 for about ten bucks and throw them in my PC case or something. If they were expensivish like more expensive than ordering a pizza or something i'd have trouble doing it because of my christian beliefs that pepperoni pizza is holy and sacred.
  • FrizzlecatFrizzlecat Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183752Members
    edited April 2013
    All I can think right now is "Warhammer NS2". Tabletop wargame with aliens and marines, wait, forget about Tyranids and 40K, I mean NS2, with NS2 maps, laid out on a table top, turn-based, wait, this is a stupid idea...

Okay, I think, larger decorative models would be more appealing, rather than a table top wargame, I don't like that idea anymore. Something I could put on my desk. Maybe, say, oh, I don't know, a marine..... uhh.... ahh, I know, like from one of the videos, an Exo battling in melee with an Onos (which is ridiculous, there's no such thing as "battling an onos in melee"), on a nice base (or not), say, 8 inches high. I'd buy something like that, if I had any money.

Or an exo being swarmed head to toe in skulks! Stuff like that. Action poses. I don't think small models can really do things justice. In fact, fuck it, make them life-size, and I'll dedicate half my house to a full-scale diorama.

• DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I say just do a large cheap pack of plastic marines and aliens done army men style, like you used to find at the grocery store hanging from a hook in the isles. Pew Pew Pew!