Give us the ability to choose on which inf portal/egg to spawn

Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
I dont know why such an awsome tactical game as NS2 doesnt have the ability to choose spawns already.
As a marine that's not a big issue to be honest.
However when playing with friends on the alien side,it's getting a bit anoying randomly spawning on the other end of the map(in mid and late games ofc)and than having to regroup.
It makes teamwork and sticking together much harder and it shoudnt be like that in my opinion.
It would be really nice if we can pick the general area in which we can spawn(example choosing between subsector and pipelines if both places have eggs/inf portals)

Comments

• DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    To be honest, I have trouble understanding the logic the game uses to decide where you spawn. I know that shift eggs go first, but when there is no shift, or when using a Marine IP, it seems to be totally random.

It's almost like it's an intentional scattering effect to prevent a team from amassing to much combat power in one area too quickly. For instance, if you have a second tech point that you spawn from, it forces you to go back to your main to use the prototype lab or advanced armory (Assuming they were built there). Or, if you have one IP in your main and a second in an expansion, it splits the team up and you must regroup. It seems like the system is engineered to disrupt organization and force small groups to spend some time "linking up" before pushing forward/defending. Also seems like it's meant to give phasegates and gorge tunnels a use, otherwise an IP would be cheaper than building a PG and it's required research (Except IPs can only go near command chairs I know).

Of course, there are some pluses (sp?) here, especially in pubs. As a commander, it helps guarantee that someone will spawn at one of the bases sooner or later to build structure X. Also as a commander, if forces your guys to take different routes to the frontlines instead of spawning as close as possible, effectively acting as a "patrol" of your territory. Of course, phasegates and gorge tunnels negate that effect. Now, this is assuming that your team isn't listening to you at all, otherwise you could tell the next person spawning in to spawn in base X or Y to build that structure, or to take a particular route.

This is one change that I'm sure UWE is very cautious to approach because it would cause a major shift in how things operate.
  • proteinstainproteinstain Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24349Members
    i had suggested and also made a thread about this already here
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    i had suggested and also made a thread about this already here
    Signed your thread m8.