does resolution affect fight FPS?

xtalxtal aka X-rayCat Join Date: 2009-06-28 Member: 67961Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
edited March 2013 in Technical Support
Hey!
After looking at @ScardyBob post (http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/127986/fps-benchmarking-an-update), I've started to question myself does lower resolution affect FPS in battle if your GPU(*) can handle the game? It was obvious for me that resolution affect maximum and mean FPS, cause you can check it easily yourself ;) So week ago I've decided to check it (NS2 build 239) and here is the answer:

resolution doesn't affect minimum FPS! when: (*) - waiting for GPU parameter in r_stats 90% of time = 0ms, but it like can go ~5-7ms sometimes
so you might save yourself headache playing on low resolution :)

Conclusion based on short benchmark demo made on NS2 build 239:
ns2resolutioninfluenceo.png

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    From my tests the biggest hitters are:

* the logics thread, which you can not do anything about.
    * shadows
    * atmospherics
    * occlusion

But depending on hardware, results may vary.
    In the previous build, the textures could grab over 1GB of vid memory on max textures so anyone with less then that would see performance with less.
    In the new build, r_stats does not even show a huge amount of vid memory in use, so go nuts.
  • DrowningwDrowningw Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175899Members
    edited March 2013
    resolution affects fps if your GPU is the bottleneck. when your CPU is the bottleneck, it has no effect. thats how it is in every single game.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    Yea changing resolution won't help unless your GPU is the culprit behind your low performance in combat.
  • xtalxtal aka X-rayCat Join Date: 2009-06-28 Member: 67961Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    @Xarius yes, but if you get lower performance in battle you can be almost sure problem is CPU. I would say only if "waiting for GPU" is above >0ms, 80% of time GPU is the problem.