Sewlek's Beta Test Mod

Comments

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    i personally hope they come back, because to lower skilled players, doing 25 damage is better than none at all.
    in any decent game, marines will receive meds in an engagement, rendering that calculation impractical anyway.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    in any decent game, marines will receive meds in an engagement, rendering that calculation impractical anyway.

Ummm... so they got medded. You can see the giant flash of the marine getting it and you go "Oh, they just got 75 more health. I know that I only got 1 bite in so it doesn't matter." or something similar. That's part of calculating how many more bites the marine has left.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Glancing bites piss me the fuck off.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    elodea wrote: »

@Ironhorse
    The idea of glancing bite is fundamentally flawed, and any implementation has to deal with trying to cover those same flaws.
    Ok, i'm all ears, lets hear where the concept fails..
    Because hit registration is confirmed server side, any feedback is always going to be too late to do any good (as we see with damage numbers, which btw is pretty much the optimal feedback solution to glancing bites). Different hit sounds is stupid with how saturated the incombat soundscape already is, and doing stuff like colour coding instant feedbacks is so silly and 'unimmersive' that you know something with your underlying mechanic needs to change instead.
    Nope.. all that talks about is the failed implementation.. which i agree with??

Whats even funnier to me is how everyone who advocates the removal of glancing bites dismisses the fact that the same instant client side based feedback (damage numbers are server side) given for the current bites can be implemented for whatever system created for glancing bites.. so i see that as an invalid argument, really.
    And dont tell me that varying sounds aren't a viable option either, given it is currently used by vets to determine a hit (along with the blood effect).
    And finally... is @elodea really using the word "immersive" to support an NS2 argument? ... i'm genuinely in disbelief, that has got to be a first. lol
    The gameplay cannibalism (more than zero) from intermediate/vet levels is not worth the 'benefit' (Less than or equal to zero) added for beginner experience. .
    This i actually agree with, but again.. you've argued nothing about the concept and only about it's implementation.
    And in fact you've used said failed implementation as some sort of evidence that the concept is fundamentally flawed??

From a PT point of view i can't tell you how many features had a poor original implementation, but once adjusted worked as intended, speaking volumes to your correlation.
  • thelawenforcerthelawenforcer Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183176Members

Ummm... so they got medded. You can see the giant flash of the marine getting it and you go "Oh, they just got 75 more health. I know that I only got 1 bite in so it doesn't matter." or something similar. That's part of calculating how many more bites the marine has left.

meds only give 50 hp. calculating the bites only works in perfect situations, where the marine doesnt receive meds and and when you know his armor upgrade level and the health he started the fight with. in reality, skulks tend to keep biting as long as it takes till they get the kill/assist cue. besides, the principle is still intact, the uncertainty is about a lack of skill - up your game and get 75's with every bite and you should still be able to calculate without a problem right?

• RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    IronHorse wrote: »

@Ironhorse
    The idea of glancing bite is fundamentally flawed, and any implementation has to deal with trying to cover those same flaws.
    Ok, i'm all ears, lets hear where the concept fails..
    Because hit registration is confirmed server side, any feedback is always going to be too late to do any good (as we see with damage numbers, which btw is pretty much the optimal feedback solution to glancing bites). Different hit sounds is stupid with how saturated the incombat soundscape already is, and doing stuff like colour coding instant feedbacks is so silly and 'unimmersive' that you know something with your underlying mechanic needs to change instead.
    Nope.. all that talks about is the failed implementation.. which i agree with??

Whats even funnier to me is how everyone who advocates the removal of glancing bites dismisses the fact that the same instant client side based feedback (damage numbers are server side) given for the current bites can be implemented for whatever system created for glancing bites.. so i see that as an invalid argument, really.
    And dont tell me that varying sounds aren't a viable option either, given it is currently used by vets to determine a hit (along with the blood effect).
    And finally... is @elodea really using the word "immersive" to support an NS2 argument? ... i'm genuinely in disbelief, that has got to be a first. lol
    The gameplay cannibalism (more than zero) from intermediate/vet levels is not worth the 'benefit' (Less than or equal to zero) added for beginner experience. .
    This i actually agree with, but again.. you've argued nothing about the concept and only about it's implementation.
    And in fact you've used said failed implementation as some sort of evidence that the concept is fundamentally flawed??

From a PT point of view i can't tell you how many features had a poor original implementation, but once adjusted worked as intended, speaking volumes to your correlation.

I have had damage numbers on since almost the beginning of my playing of NS2, and I can tell you that even knowing about glancing bites and knowing when I get glancing bites, it is still a terrible system that unnecessarily obfuscates alien play and adds large amounts of frustration to the game. For the miniscule benefit it provides to new players, it isn't worth adding a lot more intricate mechanical knowledge to a new player's plate, let alone the amount of annoyance/frustration it adds to veteran players.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @robotix Again.. i agree??

I dont mean any offense, but at this point I'm beginning to think people aren't able to distinguish the difference between a concept and it's implementation...

I dont mean any offense, but at this point I'm beginning to think people aren't able to distinguish the difference between a concept and it's implementation...

So you don't want glancing bites? My argument is that glancing bites would needlessly complicate the game without providing any real benefit regardless of implementation. Your argument seems to be the opposite.
  • TinterTinter Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185446Members
    Not sure if you know or even want to fix it, but BT does not work on 249 right now. It seems the Alien comm couldn't place cysts.
  • reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
    Glancing bites are a big mistake for this game. As a low skilled player i hate it. I never know when marine is going to die. Eating armor 2 or 3 marine with glancing bites is horrible ... for me is almost immposible to kill s1. Anyway I like some ideas in bt. I like scaling alien hp, celerity in combat, new upgrades (phantom, aura) and some stats balance tweaks ... but new fade movement and replacing blink/shadowsped is terrible. Skulk is more agile then fade. Original fades movement is perfect. No need changes. I also dont like idea of bunnyhopping. I prefer easier and more noob friendly movement from basic ns2.
  • PipedreamzPipedreamz Join Date: 2007-07-05 Member: 61484Members

I am a very casual player, but when i bought this game there were too many things that just contributed to not having fun, glancing bites among them. And if a concept can't be implemented correctly, the value of said concept is entirely academic.
    re: the change to armory armor repair - it makes it almost impossible to have one player play defensive to counter a counter push - for instance at a phase gate. because the marine is unable to repair his armor alone (despite there more than likely being an armory already in position) it becomes extremely hard to defend a phase gate. a lerk will strip you of your armor very quickly, leaving you extremely vulnerable and actually hugging the armory more than ever. seeing as the aliens move alot faster and PG's have less health, it seems that making them alot harder to defend even though you are ready and in position seems a bit too much. MACS arent really an option, they are a nightmare to micro, and from my experience and teammates feedback, they can actually be a hindrance in fights, blocking shots etc.
  • Apollo10000Apollo10000 Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183582Members
    re: the change to armory armor repair - it makes it almost impossible to have one player play defensive to counter a counter push - for instance at a phase gate. because the marine is unable to repair his armor alone (despite there more than likely being an armory already in position) it becomes extremely hard to defend a phase gate. a lerk will strip you of your armor very quickly, leaving you extremely vulnerable and actually hugging the armory more than ever. seeing as the aliens move alot faster and PG's have less health, it seems that making them alot harder to defend even though you are ready and in position seems a bit too much. MACS arent really an option, they are a nightmare to micro, and from my experience and teammates feedback, they can actually be a hindrance in fights, blocking shots etc.

Have you actually played the BT mod for more then a couple of rounds, it's like marines mostly win, for the reason the armoury not being so useful, because most are out of the base pressuring, expanding and so fourth, also the games I've been in only the main base has an armoury, which saves quite a lot of res for upgrades and so on, Id say the BT mod giving the improved hit-reg, greater welder pushes, and the ability to push for one base plays make marines a little easier, hence even if the armoury changes are only good conceptually, it still is a needed nerf to balance it out.

Also Macs are fine I've seen them used pretty good, little base helpers most don't use them in the heat of action... again, freeing up marines to pressure aliens again, marines have it easy in the BT mod, though Aliens have some things to help counter.
    edited June 2013
    yes, i have played lots of BT, in both competitive and public games. my experience is that aliens dominate organised games - and i think its atleast partly because phase gates are harder to defend, as the marines are easier to keep at low armor levels, particularly if they're on their own. I mention MAC's because while they can be helpful, they can just as easily not be. they are promoted as a replacement for the armor repair function of the armory, but seeing as they can actually cost you engagements, i dont think its really viable.

regarding the marine bullet hit registration - i understand that it doesnt really 'improve' it, rather than make bullets 'fatter', similar in a way to how parasite works. I havent really seen much discussion on this, though i think it deserves more of it.

Could we get a bit more clarification to where changes have been made that lead to this feeling of improved bullet registration?

• tagwolftagwolf SF Bay Area Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182710Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    In NS1 getting three hives was actually an advantage.
    That's the main problem in NS2 - the aliens are perfectly capable of being competitive on two hives and the only truly worthwhile advantage of a third is the ability to drop onos eggs.

The main advantage of a 3rd hive is tech point denial and map control.

Marines are fine on 2 CC's as well. I personally think it balanced out fine and think if / when UWE pushed out all BT changes at once, the community that exists now will be in an uproar and we'll lose even more people.

NS2's BIGGEST problem is lack of a simple, single player campaign tutorial and an achievement / ranking system to give incentive to players to keep playing.

This would be very simple to script and I actually have plotted out a short story using existing maps that would slowly introduce game mechanics to a player.

Some of you may disagree. That's fine. But try to understand I work in the gaming industry and these are common things in ALL games meaning to grow a large multiplayer base.

Can you imagine COD without a campaign to learn the game? Saying...here ya go, multiplayer!

People would do exactly what I see most players do. Go marines...or god forbid aliens. Have no idea how to use lifeforms or do anything. Then get frustrated and quit.

This game has sold a LOT of copies. Yet we have like what....under 1000 concurrent players at peak hours?

The issue isn't balance. I promise you that.

I really hope UWE pushes forward to save this. I love this community. And to see it mangled in an effort to save the wrong things breaks my heart.

Keep playing guys. Please.
    edited June 2013
    yes, i have played lots of BT, in both competitive and public games. my experience is that aliens dominate organised games - and i think its atleast partly because phase gates are harder to defend, as the marines are easier to keep at low armor levels, particularly if they're on their own. I mention MAC's because while they can be helpful, they can just as easily not be. they are promoted as a replacement for the armor repair function of the armory, but seeing as they can actually cost you engagements, i dont think its really viable.

regarding the marine bullet hit registration - i understand that it doesnt really 'improve' it, rather than make bullets 'fatter', similar in a way to how parasite works. I havent really seen much discussion on this, though i think it deserves more of it.

Could we get a bit more clarification to where changes have been made that lead to this feeling of improved bullet registration?

The games I've been playing I rarely see Marines on low armor, because either there are Macs or people welding, they are some who don't straight away, but once they realise they not getting welded and everyone else is they change their mind rather quickly, because I admit I only weld people who are actively welding as-well, it's a team game, not one dude that does all the slave work.

Also it's really annoying when playing on the aliens if they are using welders regularly because you can not chip their armor down, so a normal three men team in a vanilla requires a little attention, if there's good meds, maybe a little bit more, but if they welding each-other it takes most of the team to remove them.

What I've seen with the more focus on welders is pushes in general are just harder to stop, because let's be truthful most kills for aliens is because some other alien has weakened them or a surprise attack, but with welding the marines are rarely without armor in the field.

About the Macs, if used properly and micro decently are very annoying to deal with if you playing on the alien side, because the Mac can heal armor much more effectively then another marine, while stuff is going on around them, but I agree, if left in front of the marines, if can be very annoying.

About Phase gates it still takes quite a while for a solo Alien to take it down, minus the Onos, and if the whole team is on it, then like in vanilla it's a lost gate, but as I said there's still plenty of time to respond to an attacked phase gate.

About the hit-reg, they did enlarge the bullets, which it turn makes it easier to hit targets, sometimes it allow clip shots to make full hits, you could argue this make it unfair, but being hit-reg still isn't perfect, it's alright compromise.

the situation im talking about with the phase gate is for instance when you push for something, you will often leave one marine to hover around the Phase gates so that they are not left completely open. I find that this role is alot harder to perform now, simply because you are weaker from not being able to replenish your own armor. one lerk is able to strip you of your armor and keep you glued to the armory.

welders being good has nothing to do with the armory. they provide very distinct benefits.

about the bullets - wont it cause clipping problems - shooting through gaps or hitting walls when your clearly aiming past them etc. it happens with parasite quite alot (but parasite is used relatively infrequently compared to marine LMG :P) doesnt it? there are other possible issues, but im not sure they apply - for instance wont trace's drawn at 45degrees be 'fatter' still, making it even easier to hit etc.

is the illusion of better hit registration worth all these side effects?

about your example regarding the welding of teammates etc - i think this is actually a perfect illustration of why the idea is stupid.
    the situation im talking about with the phase gate is for instance when you push for something, you will often leave one marine to hover around the Phase gates so that they are not left completely open. I find that this role is alot harder to perform now, simply because you are weaker from not being able to replenish your own armor. one lerk is able to strip you of your armor and keep you glued to the armory.

welders being good has nothing to do with the armory. they provide very distinct benefits.

about the bullets - wont it cause clipping problems - shooting through gaps or hitting walls when your clearly aiming past them etc. it happens with parasite quite alot (but parasite is used relatively infrequently compared to marine LMG :P) doesnt it? there are other possible issues, but im not sure they apply - for instance wont trace's drawn at 45degrees be 'fatter' still, making it even easier to hit etc.

is the illusion of better hit registration worth all these side effects?

about your example regarding the welding of teammates etc - i think this is actually a perfect illustration of why the idea is stupid.

No-one ever leaves a marine waiting around a gate, so your point is mute, neither Comp or Pub does it, because one marine defending is one less killing harvesters, also when I command I don't drop armouries except for main base, because spamming slows tech and encourages bad behavior(mass defending).

So your point has no merit.

Welders are cheaper that's why they're better, no T-res lost, again more res for tech and other stuff which might be needed.

About the bullets you right there are some issues, but I believe it's a compromise, because the hit-reg while alright still have loads of issues to improve on, maybe in time they'll be able reduce it once they fix the server side issues, because aren't you annoyed of seeing damage on your computer but not the server.

My point might have been misunderstood, I mean on the field I weld everyone, but if in base and the person running around asking welds, I won't unless they been doing it, but for me that's a rare issue, nearly 75% of the team has welders, also seeing the effects take on in vanilla a little bit, obviously people coming from the mod, but still good signs it comes down to mindset and once there, it becomes second nature.
    it never happens that teams leave one marine to hold the phase gates when the others are pushing... right. this is just utterly pointless, i cba giving feedback anymore.
    edited June 2013
    it never happens that teams leave one marine to hold the phase gates when the others are pushing... right. this is just utterly pointless, i cba giving feedback anymore.

I've never seen that, because if teams did, then phase gates would never be attacked, then you would never hear a solo skulk taking down a phase gate(which happens quite alot), also in competitive matches, you get shouted out for camping phase gates.

I would also like to know which game you see where one person camps the phase gate the whole game, you may ask someone to defend, but if you know your stuff, you ask two or more to protect it, because one isn't enough, also if you keep one person camping, that's one less killing resources towers and attacking strong-points.

But I see your lack of feedback as just weak sauce, a person using fallacies to make points.

in my experience as my teams field commander, having one man stay back to defend the phase gates while my team tries to push a hive or double pressure etc is something I call for all the time, precisely to stop the situation where one skulk bites a phase gate down, or in the situations where they will sacrifice their harvesters to take down a phase gate, with some clutch play and comm support he may be able to hold them off long enough to allow others to recover or even push them off entirely on his own... he can also phase back to help defend a base rush etc. this is about as basic as marine positioning and tactics get.

If i cant even state simple things like that without being accused of 'fallacies' i simply give up.

edited June 2013
    in my experience as my teams field commander, having one man stay back to defend the phase gates while my team tries to push a hive or double pressure etc is something I call for all the time, precisely to stop the situation where one skulk bites a phase gate down, or in the situations where they will sacrifice their harvesters to take down a phase gate, with some clutch play and comm support he may be able to hold them off long enough to allow others to recover or even push them off entirely on his own... he can also phase back to help defend a base rush etc. this is about as basic as marine positioning and tactics get.

If i cant even state simple things like that without being accused of 'fallacies' i simply give up.

But it is rarely used, or rushes would be less of an issue, or phase gates being munched down, also it's the risk you take, mostly all the big teams have players attacking not defending, unless a cause is needed, like something being attacked, but it's rarely seen a team putting a defender up, just in-case, cause while defending, that's one guy is doing nothing, not killing resource towers or upgrades, or even denying map, that's why I called you point weak sauce, firstly most team don't use it, and secondly rarely seen in public games.

Most people believe that attack is more important then defending, hence both Competitive and Public, people only defend when needed, very rarely do you see dedicated defenders, most people in this game see defending as losing, or at-least not winning.

Also I called it a fallacy because it's not a day to day fact of the game, most don't defend, unless needed, attacking is the first priority, you always hear move out and one stay to build, and then that guy goes to attack.
  • king_yoking_yo Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67192Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Even though thelawenforcer has been saying really retarded stuff for the last 2 or 3 pages, ofc you let 1 or even 2 marines defending your PGs. You never let PGs undefended, that's retarded.
    edited June 2013
    king_yo wrote: »
    Even though thelawenforcer has been saying really retarded stuff for the last 2 or 3 pages, ofc you let 1 or even 2 marines defending your PGs. You never let PGs undefended, that's retarded.

Pretty much. Having 1 or 2 Marines defending will prevent 1 or 2 Skulks/Gorges from taking out an entire base or forcing a beacon and losing any Arcs/Exos you had.

My point is, in theory that's what you do, but what do you actually see, both public and competitive you rarely see someone babysitting a phase gate, asking someone to defend when you know something going to happen, is common, but someone just sitting there defending, now that's rare, or soloing a phase gate would be impossible.

• king_yoking_yo Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67192Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This is not rare, it happens all the time.

I rarely see it, and wouldn't you know, base rushes and also phase gates being destroyed by one skulk are so common, the only time when I see a phase or a base being manned, is because they were told do so, not because they waited they for something to happen, you lot must play games were bases are always defended, and people dedicate their time to defending, oh wait they don't, both competitive and public, all the team is attacking, unless called back or beacon-ed.

I rarely see it, and wouldn't you know, base rushes and also phase gates being destroyed by one skulk are so common, the only time when I see a phase or a base being manned, is because they were told do so, not because they waited they for something to happen, you lot must play games were bases are always defended, and people dedicate their time to defending, oh wait they don't, both competitive and public, all the team is attacking, unless called back or beacon-ed.

I pretty much always see someone staying back to defend without ever being told to do so.
    Robotix wrote: »

I pretty much always see someone staying back to defend without ever being told to do so.

I just don't and there's a reason why beacon is used very regularly, because one Gorge or Skulk can destroy the power or any other structure, if people defended regularly most of the sneaky stuff wouldn't happen, but this isn't so, many times someone we get into a base because of the lack of defenders, also when I see attacks, both public and competitive everyone attacks, unless called back, many times I have seen an attack phase gates been destroyed because everyone has left it.

People always go where the action is, very rarely will some one hold.

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    BT doesn't seem to work with 249beta :(