Computer freezes sometimes when shutting down NS2

BottBott Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183509Members
Well, topic says it all really. No other game or program causes this, and computer is prime/ibt/occt stable for 24 hours straight.
I shut down the game, get to desktop and computer freezes a second later. If anyone have any tips for a debug-program I can use please reply.

Comments

• Snypr18Snypr18 Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168566Members
    This happened to my wifes pc as well. I will try and follow up with a DxDiag.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Your best option is to give us dxiag and the ns2 log file. those might help a bunch.

There are instructions about how to locate both in the stickies.
  • WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    Happened to me just now. First time ever after 130 hours but only the second time I've run since gorgeous. Typed quit in console after being kicked from a server running descent due to reserved slots.
  • BottBott Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183509Members
    edited March 2013
    I have tried forcing the freeze with the quit command(or alt-f4, both cause it) but it just wont happen. Tho, if the game has been running for lets say 2+ hours it happens just about every single time(Makes me think memory leaks, and I see NS2 has quite a few atm).
    I'll make sure Debug Viewer is running next time I pull a long session and see what it captures on freeze, plus logfile and dxdiag

edit: Didn't read the post above, it does happen if you go to main menu first.
    edited March 2013
    [2508]
    [2508] Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
    [2508]
    [2508] Error: 4974 memory leaks in 'Client' (1909712 bytes)
    [2508]
    [2508] Error: 4974 memory leaks in 'Engine' (1909712 bytes)
    [2508]

and then it froze. If you have somewhere I can upload the plog I can do that, tho I doubt it's gonna tell you more than above. Memoryleaks out the wazo after a few hours.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    ! Memory leaks!
    Can you get a dump file of this?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I and another I know of has also got the error for memory leaks after disconnecting from a game.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    Updating topic, still same issue and far from alone in it. As always, happens after long sessions and a ton of memory leaks. Didn't have p_logall on, so nothing from logs, but they dont say anything other than what I posted previously as it fetches it straight from the games output. No dumps, its a hardcrash and a bad one at that. There is a correlation between the amount of memoryleaks and the outcome of a shutdown. Short time and few leaks equals just a short freeze when quitting the game, presume to clear mem, while a long time and many leaks equals my computers only hardcrashes through its entire lifespan.
    I must say I am quite dissapointed you guys have yet to fix such a serious bug after such a long time..
  • billetbillet Join Date: 2012-10-02 Member: 161318Members
    I get the same thing every now and again, quit the game as per normal and about a second after it goes back to desktop, the machine hangs. It does however come out of it, after about 3 minutes.
    @bott you dont need p_logall on to get logs.. log.txt is made every time u run NS2.
    Said memory leaks should be relatively harmless, we all get them, and often without hard crashes.

In order to fix this we need more info, since we cannot reproduce it.

Things like your dxdiag that has been requested in this thread would help, as well as said log.txt
    thanks
  • MadTreeMadTree Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157608Members
    I've been getting this too, every single time I quit my comp freezes and I have to manually restart. It's really annoying, especially since this last patch improved my FPS so much, I was hoping to start playing more often. Where do I find the log.txt file?
  • roxrox Join Date: 2013-06-12 Member: 185536Members
    I used to get the exact same thing, real hard crashes (black screen) on exit that forced me to manually reset the computer. Computer is 100% stable, can run any stability test/fold etc and programs much more intensive on the hardware than NS2 for any period of time without any hangs or issues. This would happen approximately 1 every 10 times I exited the game, and it seemed to happen after long sessions indeed.

But somehow it has fixed itself auto-magically for me, haven't gotten a freeze on exit in roughly two months now, and I play as actively and as long sessions as I used to when I got them. Unfortunately I can't say the exact time when it stopped happening so I can't say if it was after a specific build or anything like that. Whats strange is I haven't done any real changes on my end to make it stop, I'm running the exact same hardware/OC/operating system install etc so it's really hard to say what made it stop.

The only logical thing I can think of that may have affected it is driver updates, and looking through my programs/uninstall list the only driver I updated in the time span the freezes stopped happening is my nvidia gfx drivers. I'm currently running 320.00, so if you're running an nvidia card I guess it's worth a shot to upgrade or roll back to that version.

My rig in case there are any common factors:
    Asus P8P67 pro
    8GB RAM
    GTX690 (sli activated - are people experiencing this running nvidia and perhaps sli as well?)
    MadTree wrote: »
    I've been getting this too, every single time I quit my comp freezes and I have to manually restart. It's really annoying, especially since this last patch improved my FPS so much, I was hoping to start playing more often. Where do I find the log.txt file?
    Go into windows explorer and type %appdata% in address bar, then navigate to Natural Selection 2.

Waiting for another crash, then I'll fetch the log.
    Good job on the leaks, and the problem has been mitigated.

Froze for 1 minute after exit, then recovered.
    log.txt 75.2K