Gorgeous alien vision doesn't work properly?

GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Anybody else experiencing this? None of the marines or their structures are highlighted in orange anymore, except for power nodes.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    That shouldn't be happening..
    Screens?
    And reproduction steps if possible?
    Specs?
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Im getting the same problem
  • Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    I also have the same problem.
  • BigTracerBigTracer Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174169Members
    Try to delete shaders and let them be created once again.

You have Radeon, don't you?
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Just a quick check. Are you running any mods such as minimal AV? mods tend to break on updates.

Wait, do mods automatically disable after an update? I vaugely remember that....
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    No mods, and I dont have a radeon card
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    No repro steps, just start and play the game. Yes, Radeon 4850HD. How would you delete the shaders?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    No repro steps, just start and play the game. Yes, Radeon 4850HD. How would you delete the shaders?
    Delete your \AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\cache folder.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ok I tried deleting the shader folder. It recompiled it, but the problem hasn't gone away.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Again, screens please with a DXDIAG.
    Thanks
  • ChalarieChalarie Join Date: 2012-05-03 Member: 151459Members
    I have had this issue and it seems intermittent. No mods are messing with shaders, all the files verify, but still no structures but powernodes are highlighted. One time upon restarting It fixed itself though. Later tonight I will attempt to recreate the bug and update you all here.
    @IronHorse Theres nothing special it just that the rines are green like geometry
    Thanks chalarie.

@killer : okay.. but we could still use a DXDIAG to determine hardware + driver combos that aren't working with this change
    Alright, I started out by going into Explore mode and there was something funky going on with the alien vision shaders. I guess at some point they were modded or something, but they ended up not showing structures except for powernodes.

I then joined a server and Alien vision worked perfectly. During loading it had to compile some shaders, console says shaders included alien vision and some surface shaders for some different models including marine and some other alien lifeforms.

Restarting my client and joining a server yielded the same result- That being no issue. I will try more tomorrow to reproduce the issue, but it is late, so I will sleep.
    edited March 2013
    Sorry for my improper forum etiquette with this double-necro-post, but this is still an issue that I am pursuing and I would rather not start an identical thread. Apologies aside, I have been working on reproducing the bug and haven't found a surefire way to repeat or fix the bug, but have found a few interesting things that hopefully those of you with a bit more knowledge can comprehend and (hopefully) solve.

So far the chance of alien vision not working seems rather intermittent. Sometimes it will work, other times I load up and I can't see anything on alien vision. Once it happens though, it is guaranteed to happen until I restart the game and it seems I 'roll again'.

Here are a few images of the issue I am having to back up my claims and hopefully help with the solution:

Here is normal alien vision working during one of it's intermittent states: NjXQLD4.jpg

And this is the issue I am getting when things don't seem to go right: s5AwpB3.jpg

One thing to note is while both of these screenshots only show alien structures, It also effects viewing marines, other lifeforms, and marine structures. The only things that show up highlighted are cysts and powernodes.

I tried a few other things to try and pinpoint the issue:

-I unsubscribed from the minimal alien vision mod (Which had been disabled before, mind you) and deleted it from my steam workshop files so it no longer has anything to do with my game. To no avail.

-I removed the darkvision.screenfx and alienvision.screenfx (separately and together) because the console told me they were interfering with consistency checking. Loading up without them, as expected, removed my alien vision all-together from the game. After re-validating the local game files and getting fresh versions of the shaders I removed, I joined a game only to have the same issue as before, that of no targets being highlighted on my alien vision. And, as before, the console tells me darkvision.screenfx failed consistency. Hm. (This was a completely vanilla file downloaded from steam through re-validation.)

-After revalidating, I loaded into an explore mode map and opened alien vision to find another issue I was having before: Strange alien vision colors and things not highlighting. Here's some screenshots of what I found: mNIyiXX.jpgu34MiJI.jpg

I find it very strange that after replacing the very files that servers are saying don't validate, I still get the same issues. So has anyone else had any luck with reproducing this or finding a solution? I am hoping this information helps you somehow, @Ironhorse . I am waiting anxiously because this is something that does limit my gameplay and I know other people are having similar issues too. Thanks in advance for assistance, and I apologize again for bringing this back.
  • snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
    Did the alien vision notification of stealth break with the patch, or could that be a related issue?

On regular vision I see my teeth disappear, but with alien vision I always see my teeth in green even when cloaked instead of them being mostly translucent.
    snooggums wrote: »
    Did the alien vision notification of stealth break with the patch, or could that be a related issue?

On regular vision I see my teeth disappear, but with alien vision I always see my teeth in green even when cloaked instead of them being mostly translucent.

That's another issue I have seen with alien vision this patch that seems a bit more regular. I don't know if It has something to do with this though, since I have this issue with cloaking or not.
  • Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    I'm having the same problem. Sometimes it works properly, sometimes it doesn't, even in the same game. You can see that the Fade is bright orange, but the onos, exos, and marines are just barely outlined. When I turn the alien vision on, it actually makes the marines harder to see since they are the same color as the background. This is really hurting my game here. How do I fix it?

http://imgur.com/a/fkFoT

• 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    That would be an awesome visual cue for stealth, since it's pretty hard to tell if you're cloaked or not when alien vision is on.
    Red when you're visible, green when you're invisible.