Gorge Tunnel Possibilities

Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
I was just thinking about the gorge tunnels. I'm not sure exactly how they work. I'll find that out in a few hours. However, it does seem possible to open one end and go in before the other end is ready. You can clearly see a skulk hitting a closed sphincter in the trailer video.

If that is the case, then you can do some potentially evil things with this. Imagine the start of the game, a gorge builds a tunnel in a clever spot, and the other aliens all go inside of it. The gorge then sneaks out to the enemy base and builds the other end. All the aliens spill out into the enemy base and destroy it. If the marines get to the hive and try to take it, the aliens can turn around and defend it very easily.

Even if this specific scenario isn't possible, I expect to see a lot of surprise gorge tunnels just like surprise phase gates.

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    If you let a lone gorge sneak into or near your base, then you we're likely going to lose eventually.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Whole alien team hmm? It would also be funny if the tunnel is destroyed before the other end is set up :P

p1ln.jpg
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    1. Build tunnel entrance
    2. Build 5 Whips around entrance
    3. Build tunnel Exit just outside marines exit
    4. Sit at entrance and eat popcorn
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Runteh wrote: »
    1. Build tunnel entrance
    This is exactly what I'm going to do except I'm out of popcorn.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    Hopefully less shift use! And camouflage has new effects so that's gonna be fun.

I hope down the line Marines' get some form of non-pg way of holding control points.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Fappuchino:

Why not have a Shift inside the tunnel?
  • BigTracerBigTracer Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174169Members
    edited February 2013
    Runteh wrote: »
    1. Build tunnel entrance

5. No one falls for it after 24 from Update release.
    Apreche2 wrote: »
    I was just thinking about the gorge tunnels. I'm not sure exactly how they work. I'll find that out in a few hours. However, it does seem possible to open one end and go in before the other end is ready. You can clearly see a skulk hitting a closed sphincter in the trailer video.

If that is the case, then you can do some potentially evil things with this. Imagine the start of the game, a gorge builds a tunnel in a clever spot, and the other aliens all go inside of it. The gorge then sneaks out to the enemy base and builds the other end. All the aliens spill out into the enemy base and destroy it. If the marines get to the hive and try to take it, the aliens can turn around and defend it very easily.

Even if this specific scenario isn't possible, I expect to see a lot of surprise gorge tunnels just like surprise phase gates.

I'm afraid it will substract 2-3 minutes from "Alien Win Timer".
    Why make onos train run through the whole map, if you can make them pop out right in front of CC.
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    my question is, if tunnel entrances can be destroyed, and one destroys both entrances while somebody/somepeople are inside, what happens to those players inside? o.O
    edited February 2013
    my question is, if tunnel entrances can be destroyed, and one destroys both entrances while somebody/somepeople are inside, what happens to those players inside? o.O

Burried alive in gorge's bowels. Everything inside dies, including aliens. Expect a long waited troll option. Collapse tunnel with 4 onoses inside.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2013
    Whether or not it's a Shift replacement depends on what is required to unlock the tunnels. If it's a 3rd Hive ability, it won't really change anything about Shift usage at all. I also wonder how it will look for the commander on the map, since he needs to be able to build stuff inside. And will the marine commander see the tunnel too, so that he can medpack his marines inside or at least not wonder where they have gone?
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Can you echo tunnel entrance?
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    i hope so :D (but the answer is probably no because you can't echo hydra's)
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Namm wrote: »
    Can you echo tunnel entrance?
    Ooooo now that is an idea.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Echoing tunnels would be so amazing and would actually give echo a proper use. I also hope they revise shift eggs as currently it's in a terrible state after the over-nerf.
    Xarius wrote: »
    Echoing tunnels would be so amazing and would actually give echo a proper use. I also hope they revise shift eggs as currently it's in a terrible state after the over-nerf.

Invisible Shift quietly echoes invisible tunnel of invisible gorge and 4 invisible onoses quietly go through it. Great.

• FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    Fappuchino:

Why not have a Shift inside the tunnel?
    This is assuming the kham can see inside the place, right?

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Put it on the small bridge in refinery, facing the lava. Marines hop out all excited and whoopsie!
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    Any info about the res cost and Health pool of tunnel entrances?
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members

Those players die, whether aliens or humans.

• PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    buhehe wrote: »
    Any info about the res cost and Health pool of tunnel entrances?
    kGorgeTunnelResearchCost = 20
    kGorgeTunnelResearchTime = 60
    kGorgeTunnelCost = 10
    kGorgeTunnelBuildTime = 15
    kTunnelEntranceMaturationTime = 120
    kTunnelEntranceHealth = 1400	kTunnelEntranceArmor = 0	kTunnelEntrancePointValue = 15
    kMatureTunnelEntranceHealth = 1600	kMatureTunnelEntranceArmor = 100
    kGorgeArmorTunnelDamagePerSecond = 5
    // entrance and exit
    kNumGorgeTunnels = 2

source
  • Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    What if you try to bluff?

Imagine a gorge building one end of a tunnel in marine territory. The marines will probably assume the other end is in alien land. They go in. Then the aliens close the one-ended tunnel. All the marines that fell for it are dead. Hopefully jetpacks, or even exos, went in there!

Also, can MACs go in there? An exo might need them for welding.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Apreche2 wrote: »
    What if you try to bluff?

Imagine a gorge building one end of a tunnel in marine territory. The marines will probably assume the other end is in alien land. They go in. Then the aliens close the one-ended tunnel. All the marines that fell for it are dead. Hopefully jetpacks, or even exos, went in there!

Also, can MACs go in there? An exo might need them for welding.

I'm guessing you can only enter the tunnel when both entrance and exit are placed.