Let the rookie win.

SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Patch is about a day away. There will be an influx of new players coming along with the sale.

So, be on your best behavior. Raging, whinging, calling people noobs is a trademark of a petulant child. Please don't do that. Even if new players show up on non-rookie servers, because chances are, there will be a shortage of servers to go around.

What should you do? Engage them. Most people will lose interest if they wander around aimlessly, so be sure to include them in important tasks. Ask them to build, tell them what the building does, and confirm that their action is important to the team. Take the fast learners along with you on "super special missions" into the enemy base to destroy infrastructure and scout for intelligence. Players react positively to a new game if they have a constant influx of simple goals to accomplish. You, the experienced player, ARE the tutorial. (That's all tutorials are, a series of goals.)

So, by "let the rookie win," I mean that you should let the rookies participate in the team's eventual victory. Yes, pretend that you WILL win even if you know that a loss may be likely. Keep the morale up, the rookies will naturally learn how/when losses occur over time. Be a team, don't leave the greenies alone and confused while you do your thing.

After a week or two goes by, NS2 will be back to normal.

Comments

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I always try to give the rookie the cool stuff if I'm comming, especially if he's asking questions and engaging people about the game.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    problem is, most of us won't recognize some stuff now so we'd need to brush up quickly to even be able to legitimately help them
  • chibimikechibimike Join Date: 2007-09-09 Member: 62232Members
    Tell em to play aliens
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I have found that if you kill them, even once before they kill you they will quit. When populating a server I always let rookies kill me twice before I kill them. Normally if I do not do that they will leave the server as soon as they die. Not sure what they are thinking but perhaps a lot of these kids today like to have kills feed to them at the start of a game or they throw their computer across the room.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    I have found that if you kill them, even once before they kill you they will quit. When populating a server I always let rookies kill me twice before I kill them. Normally if I do not do that they will leave the server as soon as they die. Not sure what they are thinking but perhaps a lot of these kids today like to have kills feed to them at the start of a game or they throw their computer across the room.

There really isn't a need to let them win encounters that they would normally lose in any given circumstance. ie, one floor skulk vs 5 marines should probably learn that he/she will die quickly.

The point is, you shouldn't necessarily go easy on them for the sake of it. One should try to get them to play as a cohesive unit rather than solo.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    ZEROibis wrote: »

I can't say I've ever seen this happen, although in most of the games I've played lately that had rookies I was on the same team as the greenies and could give them encouragement. I can imagine if the opposite is happening (as it sadly is much of the time) someone would get embarrassed and leave right away.

Moral of the story: don't pick on your teammates! Ever! Unless you know them. Especially if it's Hugh or Kouji.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    While I agree people need to have thick skin either way in online games. I remember on launch people told me to alt+f4, uninstall and then once I was done doing that to go jump off a bridge. But I just found it funny and continued on my way. Either way it will depend on what server they enter and what type of people they come across.
    While I agree people need to have thick skin either way in online games. I remember on launch people told me to alt+f4, uninstall and then once I was done doing that to go jump off a bridge. But I just found it funny and continued on my way. Either way it will depend on what server they enter and what type of people they come across.
    Having thick skin is a good virtue for sure, but it shouldn't be a prerequisite for online gaming. It's no secret that he environment tends to get a lot more hostile than it needs to.
  • NeoQuaker1NeoQuaker1 New York Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183182Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I agree with OP, the vets shouldn't act super competitive over the next few days. This weekend will bring a lot of new players and the majority can get hooked if they win even just a few games or get a few kills. A lot of them could be people who bought Aliens: Colonial Marines and are disappointed with it. Personally I always to try to help rookies by answering their questions. And if my team is stomping the other, I will take it easy on them.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Pro tip: If you are agitated, frustrated, or angry, use VOIP/chat sparingly or not at all.

;)
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    edited February 2013
    when i get agitated i use uncle ruckus voice on the mic.
    edited February 2013
    NeoQuaker1 wrote: »
    I agree with OP, the vets shouldn't act super competitive over the next few days. This weekend will bring a lot of new players and the majority can get hooked if they win even just a few games or get a few kills. A lot of them could be people who bought Aliens: Colonial Marines and are disappointed with it. Personally I always to try to help rookies by answering their questions. And if my team is stomping the other, I will take it easy on them.
    Don't hold back too hard in pushing for a win if you can maintain a positive team atmosphere. A tough game where everyone on the team holds it together, backs each other up and makes a big push for a victory can be an incredible experience for anyone regardless of whether you're new or not. It's hard to give the rookies some epic games if we don't get some tough games going. The point really is that as long as you can maintain some good humor and cheer to buoy everyone's morale no one is going to feel too bad about trying to keep up with the game. Keep the push going and push hard, just make sure you throw in a quick tip any time it looks like someone doesn't understand how something works exactly, or a the old "awww almost... wait keep it up!" kind of banter when you're having a hard time during critical holdout situations or an inevitable seeming defeat in a land stand.

It's worth noting that out of the many, many stories I heard from people playing games of NS1 when it first came out - y'know, way back in the way back when literally everyone single one of us was a rookie - that the "last stand" anecdote stuck out as being one of many people's favorite moments in the game. Sieging down marine start or some of the more entrenchable hives was indeed ridiculous back then but it made for some fun and memorable gameplay. Just because things are going like hell doesn't mean you have to start getting grumpy about this thing or that thing... just ride the ridiculousness and try to have fun with it, and be vocal in encouraging everyone else to do the same! Oh, and definitely try to avoid conceding unless the other team is being genuinely stupid about it.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    And pretty please don't be stacking your teams on the greenie servers. Concede should be used sparingly in the presence of a few rookies. Games will not be perfect, but just imagine that the aliens have the same number of rookies and so things might still be worked through. Play for fun, that's why the rookie's here. A turtle a day keeps the Aliens away (you hope).

I'm going to be taking the opportunity to play some stuff I never really do I think, Fade mainly.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    I hope that they enable green names in both teams when in ready room. It will make it easier to distribute rookies / veterans more evenly.

• briatxbriatx Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180352Members
    godrifle wrote: »
    I've never had a rookie pull my arms out of my sockets.

Coffee. All over my keyboard. I'll send you the bill.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Seahunts wrote: »
    I hope that they enable green names in both teams when in ready room. It will make it easier to distribute rookies / veterans more evenly.

Haha oh wow.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Squishpoke:

Thoughts on suggesting they go to a combat server?

I think I'd rather have a new player that can get kills than someone who knows how to win, but can't hold the line
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    Squishpoke:

Thoughts on suggesting they go to a combat server?

I think I'd rather have a new player that can get kills than someone who knows how to win, but can't hold the line

I'd rather have new players experience the game the developers have designed rather than what is essentially a TDM and isn't a good representation of the actual game...Not that it isn't a good, fun, modification.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Patch is about a day away. There will be an influx of new players coming along with the sale.

So, be on your best behavior. Raging, whinging, calling people noobs is a trademark of a petulant child. Please don't do that. Even if new players show up on non-rookie servers, because chances are, there will be a shortage of servers to go around.

What should you do? Engage them. Most people will lose interest if they wander around aimlessly, so be sure to include them in important tasks. Ask them to build, tell them what the building does, and confirm that their action is important to the team. Take the fast learners along with you on "super special missions" into the enemy base to destroy infrastructure and scout for intelligence. Players react positively to a new game if they have a constant influx of simple goals to accomplish. You, the experienced player, ARE the tutorial. (That's all tutorials are, a series of goals.)

So, by "let the rookie win," I mean that you should let the rookies participate in the team's eventual victory. Yes, pretend that you WILL win even if you know that a loss may be likely. Keep the morale up, the rookies will naturally learn how/when losses occur over time. Be a team, don't leave the greenies alone and confused while you do your thing.

After a week or two goes by, NS2 will be back to normal.

This is exactly why Ill be playing on the Oldf server. People are gonna be patient and tolerant and help them learn. The people that bitch at greens for being green will be dealt with. All in all, I'm excited. My reserve slot there is vibrating faster than a spaniards honeymoon bed springs.
  • ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members
    It is not wise to upset a rookie.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    This is exactly why Ill be playing on the Oldf server. People are gonna be patient and tolerant and help them learn. The people that bitch at greens for being green will be dealt with. All in all, I'm excited. My reserve slot there is vibrating faster than a spaniards honeymoon bed springs.

Your reserve slot probably won't function properly as most if not all server side mods will be broken as hell after the patch. Too many changes to the back end coming to not cause problems. Dragon is pretty quick so DAK should be updated within a day but as a plea to server operators: consider disabling your server mods until new versions come out so we don't have odd issues like some of the things caused by ns2stats during the beta when using an old version on a new build.

Seriously. Hell, CO/MvM/Faded servers might want to consider going back to standard NS2 gamemode as those will be broke as hell and we could use the extra server space for the sale.

• CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Industry wrote: »

Your reserve slot probably won't function properly as most if not all server side mods will be broken as hell after the patch. Too many changes to the back end coming to not cause problems. Dragon is pretty quick so DAK should be updated within a day but as a plea to server operators: consider disabling your server mods until new versions come out so we don't have odd issues like some of the things caused by ns2stats during the beta when using an old version on a new build.

Seriously. Hell, CO/MvM/Faded servers might want to consider going back to standard NS2 gamemode as those will be broke as hell and we could use the extra server space for the sale.

Do you really have to shit in my cheerios on my bday :(
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

If it helps, I've eaten nothing but sprinkles for days.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As a matter of fact, me & a friend regularly invite greens to our little 4-slot server and show them around with cheats on.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i SHALL B TOLLING DOZE NWEBZZ!!!

Just kidding. I genrally like playing with newer players because i will usually ask them to follow me and help me out with my plans and schems muahahah. So while they are learning more about the game with someone with a fair amount of experience I have someone who has my back and makes situations eaier for me. Win/Win in my eyes.

If it helps, I've eaten nothing but sprinkles for days.
    Today's my birthday. You should've deuced on my cake.

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

I actually setup two different launch batch/config files for exactly this reason. The "normal" one has all the desired mods setup while the "patch" one is just vanilla NS2 until the mods get updated. Its much easier than having to remove all the mods for a day or two, then readding them once everything's fixed.
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    why should we act out of character for new people for a week, giving people false impressions of our terrible selves isn't a good idea, well leave them heartbroken when the polish of the new patch wears off and we all go back to being snooty jerks.
    why should we act out of character for new people for a week, giving people false impressions of our terrible selves isn't a good idea, well leave them heartbroken when the polish of the new patch wears off and we all go back to being snooty jerks.
    For some of us, being helpful and friendly, even at a higher skill level, is not acting out of character.