Core clock being stuck at 500mhz, eratic gpu usage, only this game (7950)(Screenshot)

lurkerHDlurkerHD Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164748Members
Hi guys.

I have an annoying bug that seemingly no one else has. When I launch NS2, it occasionally gets stuck in 2d mode for my graphics card (500mhz). Usually I can just change the resolution a couple times, and it eventually fixes itself. However, lateley, for whatever reason, it's been extra stubborn and hasn't wanted to jump into performance mode. Any ideas?

Here is a screen capture of it in action. Notice my GPU % jumping from 100% to 0% VERY quickly, and my core clock at 500.

PS this only happens with this game, nothing else triggers this!

Thanks!

Comments

• FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
  • lurkerHDlurkerHD Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164748Members
    It's been doing this since I've had the game (october). I've gone through several driver updates since then and the problem has persisted through all of them. I am currently on the newest beta drivers.
  • UzverUzver Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172632Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Try to set your power plan to "High Perfomance" in Windows instead of "Balanced".
  • MindstormMindstorm Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175356Members
    I had just this problem untill I fixed my clock rates with MSI afterburner. Without it I can try chaning my power plan, and switch powerplay on and of a couple of times and that would work 1 out of 10 times.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    sounds more like a driver issue or a broken vidcard
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2013
    This is a well known display driver issue that occurs for some.
    Typically its followed with a "device lost" or "display driver stopped working"
    NS2 can really put your hardware to the test and some drivers/OCed cards will freak out as a result.

A DXDIAG would be really helpful to see (see stickied known problems thread for instructions)

edit: a commonality between these reports is the latest AMD display drivers
  • lurkerHDlurkerHD Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164748Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    This is a well known display driver issue that occurs for some.
    Typically its followed with a "device lost" or "display driver stopped working"
    NS2 can really put your hardware to the test and some drivers/OCed cards will freak out as a result.

A DXDIAG would be really helpful to see (see stickied known problems thread for instructions)

edit: a commonality between these reports is the latest AMD display drivers

Thanks for taking the time guys. By the way, I already have my pc set to "performance" under power management. I wonder if more people have this issue and just assume the game is really running that badly?

Here is my DXDIAG

http://pastebin.com/dgLedw80

Thanks again!
  • MindstormMindstorm Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175356Members
    Try this:

Remove your driver with the Uninstaller.

Then install the new beta driver from here:
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/AMD_Catalyst_13.2_Beta6.exe

If this doesn't work you can try to "completely" remove all traces of your ati with the following steps (inside quote).
    Follow these stops.
    (Remember, if you look in some of the folders mentioned in this guide but don’t have any AMD/ATi folders, just move to the next appropriate step. This means the uninstall option has removed such files for you. But as we know, the uninstaller still leaves a lot of things behind) Do at your own risk.

1. Go to Add/Remove Programs

2. Uninstall the Catalyst Install manager (Express Uninstall)

3. Reboot the computer and log back into windows as normal

4. Go to folder options and select “show hidden files and folders”

The next part of the guide will remove all ATi/AMD files and folders from the computer.

5. Go to your C drive and remove the “AMD” folder

6. Double click the “Program Data” folder (Normally hidden) and remove all ATi/AMD folders

7. Go back to C and double click “Program Files” and remove all ATi/AMD folders

8. Go back to C and double click “Program Files (x86)” and remove all ATi/AMD folders

9. Go back to C and double click “Users”

10. Access the name of your windows profile and double click “AppData” (Normally hidden)

11. Check the “Local”, “LocalLow” and “Roaming” folders for any ATi/AMD folders and remove them.

12. Go back to “Users” and check the “Default” folder (Normally hidden)

13. Double click “AppData” (Normally hidden)

14. Check the “Local” and “Roaming” folders for any ATi/AMD folders and remove them.

The next part of the guide will remove registry entries left by the AMD drivers.
    15. Close everything down and go back to your desktop

16. Click start, then type “regedit”.

17. Click “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” and extend the folder

18. Click “Software” and extend the folder

19. Remove all AMD and ATi Folders

20. Click “Wow6432Node” and extend the folder (Within the software folder)

21. Remove the “AMD” folder

22. Click “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” and extend the folder

23. Click “SOFTWARE” and extend the folder

24. Remove all AMD and ATi Folders

25. Click “Wow6432Node” and extend the folder

26. Remove all AMD and ATi Folders

27. Click “HKEY_USERS” and extend the folder

28. Click “.DEFAULT” and extend the folder

29. Click “Software” and extend the folder

30. Remove all AMD and ATi folders

31. Click “S-1-5-18” and extend the folder

32. Click “Software” and extend the folder

33. Remove all AMD and ATi folders

34. Click “S-1-5-21-1632250243-966907716-928185508-1000” and extend the folder

35. Click “Software” and extend the folder

36. Remove all AMD and ATi Folders

37. Close down regedit and empty your recycle bin

38. Undo the folder options change to hide the hidden folders

39. Reboot

40. Install your AMD/Nvidia drivers and reboot
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    To report driver issues to AMD/ATI, follow the corresponding link:

AMD Issue Reporting Form for AMD Catalyst™ 13.1
    http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3ECF

AMD Issue Reporting Form for AMD Catalyst™ 13.2 Beta
    http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3F36

AMD Issue Reporting Form for AMD Catalyst™ 13.1 for Legacy Products
    http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3F30