NS2's Steam Hub Discussion

CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
…is not doing the game any favor. Many players will check out a game's Steam Hub out first before they make a decision about buying the game, since it's directly accessible from the store page.
I remember myself pondering about whether or not I should buy Miner Wars when it was on sale. One quick glance at the Steam Hub revealed that the game seemed to have some awful latency problems and was just not fun to play, so I refrained.

In NS2's Hub will you mostly read about OP aliens, cheaters and massive performance issues. It's nice to have this forum here where devs stay in contact with the community and discussions are somewhat civilized due to having a lot of veterans around where who can disprove balancing issues as L2P and so on.
But it is not what the majority of people will see. Instead, they will see a bunch of uneducated first impressions on the state of the game.

Comments

• SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Yeah but this is what people think, so what can you do? As the saying goes, you only get one chance to make a first impression.

The only thing that will 'fix' the talk over there are fixes in the game. Right now we BADLY need balance and performance fixes, but they're giving a content update instead. I really hope that they don't wait too much longer. NS2 has shipped over 300K copies, yet I only see maybe a thousand people in game anymore.

• A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Current players:
    1,631 Natural Selection 2
    1,551 The War Z

Oh jesus, that just ruined my day. :(
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    snaga wrote: »
    http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Current players:
    1,631 Natural Selection 2
    1,551 The War Z

Oh jesus, that just ruined my day. :(

How is this possible? With all that bad press? Are those numbers faked they must be. What the ****?
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    And you can't even buy the game from Steam currently. I have no idea.
  • thefrozenonethefrozenone Join Date: 2013-02-24 Member: 183302Members
    edited February 2013
    In all honesty, if a person bases a game purchase off of what people say on the game's forums, they shouldn't be playing games. Forums are notorious for being cesspools of whiners and fanboys.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    In all honesty, if a person bases a game purchase off of what people say on the game's forums, they shouldn't be playing games. Forums are notorious for being cesspools of whiners and fanboys.

The problem is though, most people do use reviews, metacritic scores and forums as a guide to buy or not to buy. It's a bad idea and just watching some YouTube footage of a game is a much better indicator or heaven forbid, go to a buddy and have a look at the actual game. But no, people are... Easily influenced by bad sources :(
  • HalfcentaurHalfcentaur Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182612Members
    snaga wrote: »
    And you can't even buy the game from Steam currently. I have no idea.

WarZ is addicting. It's fun.
    Just has like, terrible management. Compound this with a terrible fanbase that came from DayZ - you get some amazingly horrible press.

It's a fun game though. Just has severe hacking issues.

NS2 is too complicated for normal gamers. My friends almost refuse to play NS2 with me, because it's basically too difficult for them. They don't feel like trying to get better, when they can just play WarZ or some other shooter that is way easier to play.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Well, it's not like the complainers are entirely wrong. A game that people can't maintain 60fps in, even with low settings/low resolution, is just not going to get played that much. If I didn't love the game so much the performance issues definitely would have run me off a long time ago.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Savant wrote: »
    Yeah but this is what people think, so what can you do? As the saying goes, you only get one chance to make a first impression.

The only thing that will 'fix' the talk over there are fixes in the game. Right now we BADLY need balance and performance fixes, but they're giving a content update instead. I really hope that they don't wait too much longer. NS2 has shipped over 300K copies, yet I only see maybe a thousand people in game anymore.

Qft