Commander mouse sens doesn't compute!

MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
http://loschaos.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Commander-Shepard-Funny-Grin.jpg
Embedded image removed, it's irrelevant to the topic; thus spam. - Angelusz

I can put my mouse sensitivity to 5 or 20, commander interface sensitivity stays the same. Has been bugging me for ages, my comm apm could be thrice what it is now, if I could just move my bloody mouse around. :p RAWGRH!

Comments

• thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    I find this post highly disturbing for reasons.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Is this in-game sensitivity via the slider bar or console command? One way many of us get around this is having a mouse with an adjustable DPI.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I think the slider and console command are the same. If you max out the slider it's 20 i_sensitivity. You can further increase the sensitivity with i_sensitivity in console. But it doesn't affect commander view.

My mouse is 800dpi, I can manually tune it up to 2k something, but it isn't reasonable to do this every time I jump into CC.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Commander sensitivity, judging by your post, should remain constant based on desktop sensitivity, where fps-mode sensitivity is affected by in-game sensitivity, correct?

The obvious solution here is to set your desktop+built-in mouse sensitivity high enough to play commander, and then set the in-game sensitivity low enough to play outside of the commander, and you never have to alter it again for NS2. This is actually better than if the game's sensitivity setting impacted the command chair, in which case you would have to compromise between the two or change it every time. The ideal solution would be two separate in-game sliders.

In the future though, no reaction images please. This isn't 4chan or reddit or whatever you think this is, it's a text forum. Images should be appropriate and useful.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2013
    Interesting observation. Never occurred to me
    I'll add it to our internal list of requests.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Commander sensitivity matches desktop sensitivity...
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Doesnt make sense.

• |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Interesting observation. Never occurred to me
    I'll add it to our internal list of requests.

I read this as "eternal list of requests", and upon realizing my error, thought that maybe you had made the mistake, not me.

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    shonan wrote: »
    Doesnt make sense.

How so?
  • Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    I don't have this problem because I change the sensitivity on my mouse itself when switching between commanding and fighting.
  • ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members
    I can confirm this issue. Having a very high DPI set on the mouse makes playing as a commander difficult due to extremely fast cursor movements. Playing as a foot soldier is OK since you can lower in-game sensitivity for aiming. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for the commander mode.
    shonan wrote: »
    Doesnt make sense.

How so?

Of course sensitivity should be the same everywhere in the game or have two separate sliders for the two modes.
    It's not the same though, when you play on the ground you don't have a mouse, you have a crosshair. The mouse, desktop, NS2 menu, commander, it's all the same, and it should be. Surely you don't find your desktop hard to navigate, why should it be difficult in NS2?
    It's not the same though, when you play on the ground you don't have a mouse, you have a crosshair. The mouse, desktop, NS2 menu, commander, it's all the same, and it should be. Surely you don't find your desktop hard to navigate, why should it be difficult in NS2?
    NS2 isnt my desktop
    :|
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    sotanaht wrote: »
    The obvious solution here is to set your desktop+built-in mouse sensitivity high enough to play commander, and then set the in-game sensitivity low enough to play outside of the commander, and you never have to alter it again for NS2. This is actually better than if the game's sensitivity setting impacted the command chair, in which case you would have to compromise between the two or change it every time. The ideal solution would be two separate in-game sliders.

In the future though, no reaction images please. This isn't 4chan or reddit or whatever you think this is, it's a text forum. Images should be appropriate and useful.

Wrong. Desktop stays at 6/11 for unfiltered 1:1. Google if you want to know more, this is not the topic for it.

Wrong. Commander Shepard is highly relevant to a topic of commanding. I've been posting equally relevant pictures here since 2004, I think I know what forum this is.

Thanks for your time though. :P
    Always leave "windows mouse settings" sensitivity at default, and just change mouse DPI. Raising the windows sens usually ends up in pixel skipping.