Epic matches! share your experiences.

ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
Over the past week or so I've been involved in some insane matches, from long back and forths' with no clear winner, to total decimation in the first few minutes but i think tonight's (well, early morning here) takes the prize.

I was commanding a team of 7 marines on Veil and things were going badly from the start. Before we began, I said I would place skylights once and if it couldn't be held, I wouldn't be replacing it (though later I did, repeatedly)...It went down before it was even constructed, meanwhile, 2 marines slipped into cargo after securing topographical (but not C12) and whilst waiting for phase tech, the obs in base went down, as Skulks sneaked past marines securing overlook, stopping the research dead. At this point, my hopes of victory were almost gone (but it was too early to vote). Surprisingly we recovered to an extent and got a phase gate up in overlook followed by a quick armory (the marines in cargo died before the phase gate research was finished).

We put pressure on Sub-Sector (the Aliens first hive) but were unable to make any real dent. A couple of marines would occasionally decide to head towards pipeline whilst the battle raged over sub-sector but never got as far as getting a phase gate up. Before we knew it, we were nearly 15 minutes into the game and were hovering between 2-4 extractors up to that point.

We built a robotics factory in overlook as desperation set in. We needed a 2nd CC. They had 3 hives, almost complete map control and a stream of fades and onos' but they were too focused on overlook and sneaky marines to team up and take down our main base (though attempts were made).

After managing to get 4 Arcs up we forced our way into sub, destroyed the hive and....got beaten back (losing the arcs). At this point, I called GG (in team chat) and hopped out of CC briefly to vote concede. The majority didn't vote however... We built up some more arcs over the next few minutes and simultaneously got a ninja phase-gate in Nano-grid. Again we attacked Sub-Sector, which had been rebuilt, and again it went down but we were unable to take it for ourselves. As marines got picked off, they went through to Nano-grid knowing the focus was elsewhere...We secured it and threw up an obs and a few extractors, but we still had no 2nd CC etc. We had all the tech available to us (no JP's or exo's) and I was dropping weapons and mines as I had nothing else to spend Tres on (and it allowed players to save some in case we ever managed to get to exo's)

It took over 30mins, 4 or 5 ninja phase-gates and countless med/ammo drops but we finally took a second Tech point in Pipeline (using an assault on sub with unaided arcs as a distraction). Securing it cost us both overlook and nano-grid though, so we were down to 2 RT's (Control & Pipe) but we had a few players able to buy exos. We quickly secured some res from Topographical, Skylights and C12 and from there a slow advance with exos towards sub-sector whilst I spammed scans down so they weren't ambushed. Aliens tried to rush pipeline as we approached Sub-Sector but 2 marines held off a fade,onos and gorge (well played!). When we reached sub-sector, there was no-one defending it, so they marched in...fearing a base rush I dropped a scan near control and 2 gorges ran away scared by the scan (despite no one being in control if they'd have rushed in).
We took down Sub-Sector no problem. Instead of building it up I ordered everyone to keep advancing and hit Cargo. On-route Pipeline got hit and a few vocal marines cried out for a beacon. I shouted "No beacon, Push cargo! Hit the hive!" and Boom, after more than 50 minutes, GG

Needless to say, the Ready Room afterwards was full of chatter from both sides. It was a truly epic match and we ALL thought aliens had it in the bag right up to the last 10mins. I only wish I had a video so i could relive the match a few times.

This is what NS2 is all about! :) Share your most memorable matches below!

TL:DR - 50+ Minute match where every inch felt like a mile and we were pushed back time and time again. At no point between the 2 and 40 minute marks did we feel we had any chance of victory...Now stop being lazy and read the whole story above! xD

Comments

• VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    Marines winning, it was pretty epic and unexpected
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    Commanding a game on Veil (can't recall team size, 9 I think). 1 marine stayed in control, rest of the team split in two and headed out both sides towards cargo. Ran into cargo uncontested (all the aliens had gone to nano!), built a CC, armory, RT, obs and IP in cargo. Recycled the control IP. Told most of the team to attack sub (ignored nano) and 2 guys to go round to pipeline, C-12 to get more extractors.

Slowly teched up in cargo. Aliens built RT's all the way into control but lost them when my RT team got up there. Aliens just couldn't push out of sub-sector. I was still commanding from the Control CC and they never bothered to kill it to drop a hive. Pipeline had a CC in it as well and kept being scouted by the RT team.
    At 13 minutes some guy joined, hoped in spectator and was like:
    "Marines are you going for some kind of achievement? 13 minutes in, you don't have phase gates and your winning!"
    After a few arc pushes and some harassment on nano and overlook to take down their RTs we eventually won. Marine team couldn't believe how well the game had gone, I got lots of compliments (the nice side of going comm). Even the aliens said we played really well.

TL:DR - Relocated to cargo on Veil. Won the game.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Commanding a game on mineshaft.
    Had a base in repair and operations. Aliens had the whole rest of the map. 2 Exos defending repair, 5 jetpack marines defending the gap. Sieged out deposit at around the 14 minute mark, though alien presence was too strong to move in. At the 17 minute mark, 3 Exos left repair heading towards cave, shooting every alien entity they came across. At 17:30, distressed all marines to repair, and sent them to cave, while sending 10 ARCs through crusher to the bottom of sorting.

Every alien had diverted to cave to stop the exo push. Though most were higher lifeforms, and were outmatched by the jetpacks in the large tech room. At 18 minutes, the aliens redropped deposit hive, but the ARCs were still stationed in the gap. All three hives fell within 30 seconds of each other. Yay.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    So we started in atrium as marines, our team was pretty bad, we lost reactor and it got cloged up forever. On the right side aliens started to push flight control to expand there. It was clear that if we lost flight the game was over, so the plan of the comm was to get a phase gate there. After an unsuccessful push I encourage the commander to get a phase gate in summit reception or cross-road as fast a possible to get a position on the map. While motivating everybody over the mic, we push several time to summit reception to get a phase gate up, we barely fail the first time as the alien team is aware of what we are trying to accomplish. Finally after a tense fight I just manage to finish the phase gate before dying and tell everybody to phase asap to reinforce the position. This was the beginning of a great come-back.

As I spawn I see the phase gate in our base without its blue portal, and my teammates waiting next to it, confused. The phase gate in summit reception is unpowered as its under the control of cross-road power node instead of the summit reception one, even though the phase gate is three time closer to the summit reception power node. The aliens makes fun of us "fail-gate".

gg
    Yuuki wrote: »
    The phase gate in summit reception is unpowered as its under the control of cross-road power node instead of the summit reception one, even though the phase gate is three time closer to the summit reception power node.

Argh I hate that! Comm really needs to be able to see where the power lines are for each room.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That one time when we skulk rushed the marine base, winning the game after 1 minute playtime. Readyroom was filled with Lulz and Wtf's. Next Round they marine rushed our hive. 3rd round both teams camped base for some time, whispering over their mics before moving out. Was hilarious.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Anytime a Lerk Rush succeeds it's pretty epic

You have to get into the command room before the marines get a chance to drop a 2nd chair though
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    edited February 2013
    Copy-pasted from my clan forums.

From a terrible start (on Mineshaft) with hardly any RTs held, we managed to push out in to Operations and Deposit for just long enough to get Jetpacks up before we lost Repair and Deposit. Then, turtling in Operations and phasing in and out to keep our hold on Central Drilling, we managed to survive endless multiple Onos onslaughts for long enough to get just two ARCs built. Defending those we managed to slowly push back to Repair, re-drop our Comm chair and get Exos, and then the rest, as they say, is history. Combinations of ARC fire and Exo/MAC/welder combos, we managed to push the Aliens out of Deposit, Sorting and finally Cave. GG.

Such a tense game - even though both teams had Rookie players, (almost) everyone was listening to the Comm and great teamwork triumphed over possible better skill level.

7116C5524532758C8F592995A74B3D9D9F42A00F

Check the scores of the Alien team - 20/30mins in when we pushed back a little, half their team raged (standard story). The game still lasted a long time after that though!
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    Shame about the rage-quitters... That scoreline looks like your team walked all over them, but the events suggest a pretty balanced match, where they had the edge...evidently some of their better players left. I guess we'll never know what might have happened had they stuck around

I hope UWE can add a 'Theatre' mode like CoD and Halo that auto record matches at some point. It's impossible to tell when your about to have a match like these and recording using third party software kills your FPS.

A few of your experiences stand out to me...Relocating to Cargo without phase gates sounds interesting (and risky!) and whoppa's match where everyone was too scared to move out sounds hilarious!
    Chizzler wrote: »
    Relocating to Cargo without phase gates sounds interesting (and risky!)

Well the way I see it one of four things will happen:

1. You meet a skulk rush on it's way up to control. As the teams have headed left and right you get warning whichever hive they start. You now have early warning of a rush, have probably killed a few and know where the hive is. Either pull back, stop the rush and play as normal or carry on to cargo.

2. Get to cargo, find main hive. Target the extractor, and cysts. Taking that down early game on Veil really hurts. Hop out CC and start building base as everyone respawns. Play as normal.

3. Get to cargo, find fast hive drop. Shoot the hive! You can probably take it down as you have your whole team and it's low health. Depending on how many left, either try to drop a CC and IP in cargo or start building control and play as normal.

4. Get to cargo, it's empty all the alien are in nano. Build new base, now in prime location to apply lots of pressure.

They all seem good outcomes to me.
  • AndinagamaAndinagama Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176019Members
    edited February 2013
    Hey Chizzler.. since you started this thread... recall this game? Just finished it 10 minutes ago.

Playing Mineshaft as aliens, we were down to a hive under construction at some point (marines had just killed us in cave AND repair, and they had 3 bases (sorting, ops, deposit) while we had 0.5 - cave was redropped after they left). They ninja'd our hive down in repair, along with most of the cysts. then we killed them. the stuation was bad, but we did not give up. i gorge healed our surviving harvester in repair for 2 minutes solid until comm was able to cyst down from the newly finished cave hive. we got our hive up in repair again and then headed to cave side to fight them in sorting (which is where they would most likely come assault from as they knew that would be our hive spot.

we took them out of sorting first, then headed to deposit (that took forever since the marines used like 10 MACs and it was hell trying to kill them all. then they started pumping exos into our newly built sorting hive... which we defended. we did not lose our hive in sorting. we kept trying to distract them in operations but it wasn't enough, they'd phase in and kill. we needed 2 onoses on defence for sorting most of the time, and there were two new players on our team.. which only made it more fun.

Our commander was excellent, he jumped in and out of the hive all the time while managing the rapid building/egg drops and defended the cave hive from jetpackers with a fade (since my onos couldnt reach the jetpackers)

I think I lost my Onos four times... but we had a lot of res.
    So did the marine team - they kept pumping out Exos and ARCs.

We took them out of deposit eventually, and once their second comm station was down, they were not able to defend against us. We had 3 hives by this point.

This just goes to show... especially from the Alien team, you can come back with practically NOTHING left (at one time we had a hive under construction, 2 harvesters and an adrenaline shift) if the marine team doesn't finish you off properly
    Marine comebacks are rare but I have seen them.

Unfortunately, I only joined at about 35mins so i didn't get to see where you didn't have a hive grown (You had Cave & Repair), but I saw (and felt) the comeback. Every TP was getting attacked every minute or so, never knew who owned what.
    Excellent use of Hallucinations too, Bullet Sponges and distractions for the real onos' which there were many of...so so many! Marines really fought hard to pull it back again once you got the upper hand, but in the end, your relentless need to win, beat us down.
    Awesome match
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    i havent had an epic match in ns2 yet... ns1 there were plenty (in the early patches, before combat made everyone want to rush a game)... hopefully this will happen soon... i actually like the 2 hour matches... u could leave and join again lol
  • AndinagamaAndinagama Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176019Members
    Unfortunately, I only joined at about 35mins so i didn't get to see where you didn't have a hive grown

Hmm, you probably joined within 3 or fewer minutes of Repair hive being up (for the second time).

It can't be too often that you join a game 35 minutes in, and it isn't even half finished yet :)

edited February 2013
    Andinagama wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I only joined at about 35mins so i didn't get to see where you didn't have a hive grown

Hmm, you probably joined within 3 or fewer minutes of Repair hive being up (for the second time).

It can't be too often that you join a game 35 minutes in, and it isn't even half finished yet :)

I know...When i joined the server I saw the match time and hopped in spectator assuming it was over and marines had barricaded themselves in base, but they had 3 bases vs 2 hives and it was all to play for so I got involved. Unfortunately for me, I was the one in command chair when you guys took both deposit and operations (after i ordered the whole marine team through the PG to Cave) so feel a bit responsible for the outcome.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I once had a game where 3 people were listening to commander. That was awesome.
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    xen32 wrote: »
    I once had a game where 3 people were listening to commander. That was awesome.

wohahahahahahaha

sad but true...

• ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    I had the best match yesterday on Summit.

We were Aliens in Atrium, against the Marines in Data Core. (It was a full 24p server)

We had ok control over the map, the Marines had Vent, Sub and Comp Lab RT's and were setting up their 2nd base down in Sub. Our comm decided to try something different and dropped both Flight and Cross hives at the same time. Cross hive was half built when everything started to get awesome.

A few marines had snuck into Cross and built up a sneaky phase-gate and suddenly the whole team was flooding back to Cross for the most epic battle I've ever seen in NS2! Marines were pouring through the phase into cross, building armouries and dropping mines all around their little defensive area while a huge amount of skulks were flooding the room biting everything they could. The alien comm was cyst spamming the area trying to clear the mines out.

The phase would get pretty low, but then marines would weld it in the middle of the raging battle going on. The whole thing seemed like it lasted 10 minutes and by the time the Aliens eventually took down the phase the Cross hive had been up for awhile. As soon as it was down though, another sneaky phase was noticed going up in Flight! sadly this battle didn't last as long as the Aliens cleared that out pretty quickly also.

After this the aliens were sitting on 3 hives and had locked the marines down into Sub and Data Core, they didn't have anything else at all. The game looked over but the marines held out for so long, eventually pushing out and re-claiming vent and comp lab. Alien onos were getting picked apart by a marine team that was working well together and in the end they actually made a huge comeback and won the game with great teamwork.

My writing doesn't do it justice but when you have about 8 people from both teams stop fighting in the middle of a battle just to type: "THIS IS SO EPIC" maybe you can get the picture.
  • MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
    edited February 2013
    Had an epic game over the weekend. I was marines. Aliens was winning by kills which can be frustrating and they had a few top players I played before. Marines was the underdog team. I noticed something that kept the mojo alive. When ever aliens took one of our bases we manged to take one of theirs. To a point both teams was doing circles in taken each base. We manage to switch bases over and over. Close to the end Aliens had the upper hand by taken 3 bases while marines only had 2. We all thought game was going to be over soon. We decided to push to the newest base they just took and I knew aliens was going to retaliate and take one of our bases which they did, but what we did afterwards was amazing we raped and plow each village aliens had like a train and took over the whole map. We literary did a train in the end arcs/exos/ and marines. I myself was a EXO 4 times! one of those times COMM dropped me a exo the rest was from my own res. Game was a bit long like 2 1/2 hours but it was an epic battle. Aliens did a great job they had tons of Onos and played very good. It was a even team. After the game everyone was happy even aliens. No one rage quit and we all talked about it in the lobby room.
    Just had a game on a USA server which was pretty awesome, not because the game itself was incredible but because I managed to see some peoples names I recognise from the forums here! Obviously some of the players I mention I don't recognise from the forums, but they all seemed to know eachother and were fun to play with.

On the Aliens there was:

Calego - Formidable skulk and great gorge player in the game I was in!
    Pale - This lerk that just was in DC one second, and FC the next. Great harassment and hard to play against!
    Evil.Iguana - I don't think this guy is using build 240 to be honest. I think he's still using skulk movement from 239! Might have to report a bug.

Luckily on the marine team there was a guy called PartySkulk who evened the teams up alot.

It was great fun to play randomly with people who obviously knew eachother but weren't all on the same team (Which happens alot in AUS servers). Everyone was enjoyable to play with and it was cool to see a name I recognised from these forums.

The game itself was pretty damn fun too! Multiple times losing power/phase in crossroads, even losing power in our marine main in Sub.

Also I know my ping to USA servers is crappy, but no-one complained which was awesome also. :)

GG USA.

PS: I've also seen current1y in a random PUB USA server before. That was pretty awesome too.
  • Zenn3kZenn3k Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183506Members
    There was 1 game last night that aliens won. I was pretty shocked about that one.
    Do you really have to come into this thread and complain about balance?

You're already doing it in about 10 other threads, please leave this thread to people who are actually positive about the game. Thanks.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Just had an epic battle on an EU server called like Greatest Ono factory, or something, commanding in Descent for marines, down to just one chair, but most of the W/A upgrades were online, and then we managed to turn the match, retake Launch Control, then siege Hydroanalysis with just two Arcs and an Exo or two, and then push to Fabrication, after that the aliens resigned. Very rare to see tables turned, especially in such dire situations. But suddenly, the mood in the team changed, people started to encourage each other, and I don't know - we actually started hitting things, or what. In the greatest emergencies, I was half the time in the field, fighting shoulder to shoulder with my fellow marines.

The tension, the frenetic pace, fumbling around, the occassional dead ono tumbling down the stairs, the change from despair to triumph, the teamwork, it was all beautiful. Who was there with me - thank you, guys, it was an awesome experience. These moments are why I waste my life gaming ;-)
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    Aliens Win >>> nah thats normal , aliens still OP

Human Win >>> Outstanding marines :)) Outf..king standing !!
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just had a really funny game. Playing as Marines on Tram, our commander left randomly in the middle of the match, and so I took over. By the time I had taken control, though, we had been pushed all the way back into Warehouse (the original commander hadn't left us in a great position anyway) and I decided might as well just fully commit to turtling! I built up all of our weapons/armor levels, researched all of the levels in the armory, got myself a personal army of MACs to weld everything and even got myself some turrets. Of course, I only had one extractor, so this took a long time but I did manage to get some extra res by recycling the third IP (why the old commander built 3 IPs on an 8v8 server I do not know) and the protolab which wasn't serving any purpose anymore. But we managed to hold out for like 25 minutes, it was hilarious! They would send in like 3 Onos at a time and we were somehow able to fight them off. By the end there were lerks constantly firing spores everywhere and the khamm was spamming halluciantions and drifters and just about everything else he had just trying to take us down. And just for laughs I put together a ninja hive rush and eventually brought out some ARCs and starting bombarding Ore Processing.

The alien team probably got pretty mightily pissed off at us for not conceding but we all had a great time. Probably the most enjoyable loss I've had on NS2
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I happened to be part of an epic alien comeback 43 min game marines had us on the back foot for most if not all the game, i just happened to be streaming the game live.
    So check it out :)
    http://www.twitch.tv/maxamus_ns2/c/2022449
    Why do the steam sales and now this free weekend always seem to bring out some awesomely fun games?

Admittedly I had been in a few poor ones before, where marines were dominating and sitting outside a 1 hive alien base and racking up kills for 10 minutes. I was starting to get dissapointed.

Then I joined a server, where there were about 10 rookies out of a total 18 slots and just had a great game.

I joined marines, and there happened to be a rookie by the name of "ThatGuyChris" so I get on mic before we have a comm and say "Alright Chris, I can see you wanna play the game like I do so stick with me and we can kill some stuff!"

He typed back "Ok" so I told him how to use the map, and said on game start we would go Logistics. (Was really weird now I think about it, we were pre-game in Shipping and the live game started us in Shipping).

On game live, EVERY marine went to Logistics, after a quick explanation of how to construct buildings; we were off to Repair, then Ore and finally Warehouse (Alien spawn Server) before everyone was dead. I stuck around in Shipping for Chris to respawn, and this time I told him we should go Observation. 3/4 of the team headed straight towards Observation and we claimed that, moved into ET and killed that, pushed Mezz and killed that and got into Server and killed some eggs and skulks before everyone was wiped out.

During this we had basically lost the whole left side of the map but we had done enough damage for the game to settle down and everyone started splitting up more effectively.

Hopefully they had a blast and picked up a few things but also realised it's not a simple point and shoot game. So much fun. Reminded me of my first post (from memory?) in this thread where we had a huge conga-line of Aliens running from location to location around the map.
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    I wish I could, but the teams usually concede before anything gets interesting. Hooray for concede!!!
    PoNeH wrote: »
    I wish I could, but the teams usually concede before anything gets interesting. Hooray for concede!!!

Re-read the thread title please. Keep your complaints in relevant threads. Thanks.
    Only a day into the Free Weekend and i've already seen a few great rookie filled matches. A lot of them seem to stick together and move in a bunch naturally. rushing a second hive at 10mins in whilst rookies are shouting "What the hell is going on!?" down the mic is amusing :)