For the love of all that's holy, System Shock 2 is BACK!

SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
Wow!
For the past decade something has been lurking amid the vast electronic tangle of cyberspace: a name whispered with a strange mixture of fondness and fear by those who remember it; a creation that reigned supreme at the tail end of the last Millennium, and then almost completely disappeared. Just a few days ago, however, it suddenly came back, determined to regain its former glory. I’m here to tell you why you should be afraid and delighted in equal measure.

The alluring monster in question is, of course, System Shock 2, often referred to as the spiritual predecessor to Bioshock, the game that earned Ken Levine a place in the virtual hall of fame. For more thirteen years, legal problems have kept it locked in cyberspace, inaccessible to anyone who didn't buy it in 1999. But now, finally, that's all be resolved, and Good Old Games has released a version of it optimised for modern PCs. (link)
For only $10 you get the game,, soundtrack (both flac and MP3) wallpapers, artworks and more. If you have never played it and want to play a part of video game history, now is the time. If you do decide to get it, dig around for the mods that upgrade all the textures and such. While dated it can still look much better with the mods.

Comments

• ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    SS2 is the greatest FPSRPG in the world. If you haven't played it you really really REALLY need to do so. Grab it from GoG, bung in the rebirth texture pack and immerse yourself in an incredible world.

--Scythe--
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    SS2 has CO-OP ? I tried to play i some time ago but I remember it crashed or messed itself up somehow when I started introducing mods.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited February 2013
    Nice it's one of my top favorite games. Plus the SHTUP mod along with rebirth just made it all the better. Was somewhat annoying to get it to run on windows 7 but at least this is out which should introduce more people. I guess it is no longer abandonware but the 4 person co-op multiplayer should be fun.

Seriously though those stupid monkeys. Their hitboxes were so small and most of my wrench hits always missed. Then you heard their howls when they were close by when you were already low on bullets. It was pretty unsettling. Still haven't found a game that has a god tier inventory and hud system like SS2 :(
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    System Shock 2 is an amazing game, but for those who haven't played the original, I recommend checking out System Shock Portable, whether it's before you play SS2 the first time or whether you've already played SS2. Personally I like SS more than SS2 and I've seen a lot of people agree with me. They're both some of the best games ever made.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    In general any support for Good Old Games is a damn good thing. I think it's more than healthy for the gaming 'culture' that the old games are still available and set up some standard for the modern products.

Also, the Looking Glass Studios logo still brings up really good memories. Those wind chimes.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    edited February 2013
    I guess it is no longer abandonware but the 4 person co-op multiplayer should be fun.
    Just pointing this one out; it was never abandonware. Still under full copyright protection as the LGS assets (including IP/franchises) were auctioned off at bankruptcy, just the ownership was in-dispute.
    I'm still note sure exactly who got this IP or how (unless the Atari bankruptcy tipped some pretty major power), though I'm glad to see it back on sale, legally.

I'm still hoping for a Steam release, but apparently the IP-holders have set up an exclusive distro deal with GoG. Only explanation offered was that the indie group apparently hates DRM. Which is hilarious, as the original release came with some of the most draconian DRM available; even with the disc in the drive, authentication would fail about half to 3/4 of the time.
    I mostly know this as I still have my original CD version, and remember fighting with it and having to full-on reboot (sometimes multiple times!) just to get the game to accept that yes, I actually owned a legal copy.
    Compared to putting up with that, Steam's SSO method is kitten-whispers.

On second thought... if anything, I'd more expect that while the group (dubiously) obtained the IP/distribution rights, they didn't get the actual source code/assets from LGS, making a recompile with anything necessary to interface/work with Steam/disable the in-built DRM impossible. It'd actually be incredibly amusing if the version GoG is selling just includes a pre-packed no-CD executable from back in the day.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    I'm just so glad it's merely a re-release instead of "omg you guys, totally making System Shock 3!" Eurgh.
  • -Drake--Drake- -dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ- Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15125Members
    I hope this new found enthusiasm for SS2 will encourage people to resume modding the engine and such to make it look more up to date.

I still have the original CD release somewhere with the massive box/packaging games used to come in back in the day but I can't for the life of me remember where I put it. :(
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    They have already modded it extensively. Check out this post on GOG for details. The textture upgrades really make a difference. Take a look at this forum page for a pile of before/after pics - you can really see the difference.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Does the version that GoG distribute have those mods already included? I'm confused.

--Scythe--
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Scythe wrote: »
    Does the version that GoG distribute have those mods already included? I'm confused.
    No, the GoG version does not include any mods. In fact you need to download a special tool in order for the game to be modded in the first place. However, you can see in the images how much clearer the textures are. Look at my post above and check the link of "this post" to see more info on the mods.

I actually did a 'cutscene mod' for SS2, since the original cutscenes were 320x240, and when they were upscaled in game they looked pretty bad. I was able to double the resolution and improve the picture quality. I reuploaded the mod, in case anyone is interested I can provide links.
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    Of many, many, many classic first person shooters this has to be amongst the best. I didn't get the chance to play it until a few years ago, but damn I was surprised at how good it was. The graphics are not the greatest at all, but the delivery of the game is incredibly good. The story line is engaging, developing your character is a blast, and the co-op is very well done. I used to get on IRC just to get people to play with me again, I may have to set this game up again. It really is a true underdog of classics.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited February 2013
    Scythe wrote: »
    SS2 is the greatest FPSRPG in the world. If you haven't played it you really really REALLY need to do so. Grab it from GoG, bung in the rebirth texture pack and immerse yourself in an incredible world.

--Scythe--

There's also a little game called Deus Ex in that genre so I'm not exactly going to give it number 1 so easily.
    Well let's not bicker too much though. We have SS2, Deus EX and let's also not forget the original Half-Life. They were all historic groundbreaking titles.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

System Shock 2: 1999
    Deus Ex: 2000
    Both are excellent.

Don't play it without SSTools
    http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4141.0

and the High Texture Update (which I like to call SHUT UP, although it's spelled SHTUP)
    http://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,22.0.html

Here is a guide to all the other good stuff, I'm too lazy to mention separately (I'd also recommend the rebirth model replacements):
    http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4447.0

Aaand as a final Easter Alien egg:
    ALL the audio logs!
  • archwaykittenarchwaykitten Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180431Members
    System Shock 2 is one of my favorite games. I've played it once every three years or so since it came out, each with a different style, and every play-through has been a blast.

I would like to say this though: do NOT feel the need to upgrade all the textures and whatnot. It's fun to play around with the graphical upgrades after you've already completed the game a couple times, but In my opinion, the modders haven't actually made the game look any better. The original game's graphics have not aged very well, but at least they've aged consistently. It does no good to upgrade the textures on enemy models without also upgrading environmental textures and character animations. You just end up with an environment that no longer looks consistent. It's also possible that the older models end up being scarier precisely because they force your imagination to do more of the work.

Or maybe I'm just weird like that. I also think that the vast majority of Skyrim mods end up making that game look far worse.

If you already know you enjoy graphical modding, go for it. Just don't let the existence of these mods deter you from playing one of the best games around. Because honestly, who wants to spend time installing mods? You'll be lucky enough to just get the base game running without some hassle.
    Hamlet wrote: »
    Both are excellent.
    Let's not forget the original Half-Life from 1998. It seemed that this was the golden age in gaming. All these groundbreaking new titles that redefined video games as we knew it. If anyone hasn't played all three of these titles, then they are missing out on some of the best games ever made.

• LunosLunos Join Date: 2009-08-18 Member: 68518Members
    I'll be honest, did not like Half Life. At all. Spent my time playing counter strike instead. I was thinking of playing SS2 recently but I was wondering if I should wait for SS1 to come around at some point first.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Savant wrote: »
    Both are excellent.
    Let's not forget the original Half-Life from 1998. It seemed that this was the golden age in gaming. All these groundbreaking new titles that redefined video games as we knew it. If anyone hasn't played all three of these titles, then they are missing out on some of the best games ever made.
    Well, if we go outside the FPSRPG genre, we've got Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Starcraft & Brood War, Grim Fandango, Plancespace: Torment, Thief 1 & 2, Fallout 1& 2 and probably a dozen other awesome titles all published somewhere between 1997 and 2001. 1998 alone has more than five all time classics.

Also, OK Computer was out 1997 and Kid A 2000. I don't know what they were putting to the drinking water on those days, but it certainly worked. I think I'm still somewhat stuck on those years.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited February 2013
    Savant wrote: »
    Both are excellent.

Half-Life isnt and FPSRPG. Of course if someone were to mention that in it's own topic I would have to bring up Unreal, which I find to be the much better story driven FPS.

It would have been nice if Deus Ex and System Shock 2 HAD redefined gaming. Unfortunately there are VERY few other good examples of their genre and none that can compare to them as a standard.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Just look at the improvements in SHTUP:
    http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=22

They all stay true to the original while raising graphical fidelity enourmously.
    I couldn't imagine to play SS2 all blurred.

Edit: No. Hot. Linking :(
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    My System Shock 2 doesn't look like that.
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    I'd Shock her System.