ENSL custom map cup thread

fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Hoooo yeah! New cup happening both today (Saturday) and tomorrow, lots of matches all day long, with teams from around the world. Most of the top teams are in contention, including Mercury, Saunamen, Archaea... and a surprise Exertus comeback (who knows if they will actually play though!). What's special about this cup, is that it will be played exclusively on custom, non-official, maps, created by the community for the community. This should really throw things up, as most, if not all, of the teams have never played on these maps before.

Schedules, maps, all the information you need really, is available on the ensl website.

Many of the matches will be streamed, starting with Archaea vs. Mercury on ns2_triad on the official UWE NS2 twitch.tv channel.

Live score updates from ns2stats: http://ns2stats.org/

Discuss the maps, the matches, the whatever in this thread!

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Matches are happening right now on twitch.tv/naturalselection2 :)
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    A shame I scheduled a visit to my parents with no gaming PC for this very weekend and won't be able to take part. It sure will be interesting to see how the big teams adjust themselves to new maps, and what kind of reception they will get.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2013
    Confirmed results from round 1 of Group A (eu "top" group):

Archaea 2 - 0 Mercury
    HBZ 2 - 0 Quaxy (forfeit)
    duplex 2 - 0 exertus

Interesting that duplex' all new roster won against exertus. Good indication that (a) duplex' new roster is pretty good and (b) exertus' break lasted too long.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    I don't want to watch people playing on custom maps... I want to PLAY on custom maps! <sigh> I wish more public servers would run more custom maps more often.

Hopefully this Cup-cast will encourage server admins to do exactly that. :)

Good luck to all the contestants!
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2013
    Confirmed results from round 2 of Group A:

Archaea 2 - 0 Quaxy (forfeit)
    Duplex 2 - 0 Saunamen (dayuuuuum, what an upset, kudos to duplex)
    HBZ 0 - 2 Mercury (first round was a massive 45 minutes)
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2013
    So far I've really enjoyed ns2_icarus and ns2_jambi. Both need some work, especially stuck spots and siege spots on icarus and lack of cover in some rooms on both, but I think these are good candidates for custom maps in ensl s2.
    edited February 2013
    Confirmed results from round 3 of Group A:

Exertus 0 - 2 Saunamen
    Archaea 2 - 0 HBZ
    Quaxy 0 - 2 Mercury (forfeit)

Confirmed results from round 4 of Group A:

Archaea 2 - 0 Saunamen
    Exertus 2 - 0 HBZ
    duplex 2 - 0 Quaxy (forfeit)
    edited February 2013
    Confirmed results from round 5 of Group A:

Mercury 1 - 1 Saunamen
    HBZ 0 - 2 duplex
    Quaxy 0 - 2 Exertus (forfeit)

This leaves both duplex and Archaea at 10 points total, no rounds lost today. Archaea and duplex each have a foot in the final now, but Mercury has a chance to sneak past duplex if both Archaea and Mercury beat duplex 2-0 tomorrow. In other words, tomorrow is going to be exciting.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    NA Streams (looks like multiple now):
    BlindNS2:
    Virsoul:
    Welkin:
    Semihandy:
    Zefram:

Also, for those who was to keep up with NS2 streams (tourny related or not), you can go here: http://ns2hub.com/streams/
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm glad to see a lot of streaming going on with NS2. :)
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited February 2013
    Group B is a forfeit-fest. I suppose the other european groups are the same, with the exception of Group A, of course.

Also the tournament is so boring that there is no point in winning Group B (for example) as you never play anyone from other groups. So the only interesting matches are in Group A all the time.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Second day of matches are going on now:
    Alright, all the deciding matches have been played now, with duplex winning out over mercury, after a 1-1 match between the two, to get through to the final against Archaea, who are still undefeated.

The final is coming up in 25 minutes and it's going to be a monstrous best of 9 grind.
    aaaaand done! Archaea takes the european final, although duplex put up a solid fight.

North American final later tonight.

After trying all the maps, I'm positive that icarus and jambi are great maps and, if some issues are fixed in the meanwhile, should be included in ensl s2. I also think triad played decently, but it has a few problematic rooms/corridors that could cause problems in the long run.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    God damn Archaea too strong.
  • supsusupsu Join Date: 2012-04-24 Member: 151023Members, Squad Five Blue
    I hope we won't see any of these maps in NSL season 2, nothing personal they are just not good or fun to play.
    I couldn't disagree with you more, zups. I've been looking forward to this tournament for a while now, as I'm pretty tired of three playable official maps, and it didn't disappoint. Great games all weekend.

As usual, kudos to the admins and casters.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    ggs. Probably should have played the maps 1 or 2 times before having a pcw on them.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Watching Archea win is like observing gravity in operation.

"Yup, that apple definitely hit the ground again. Make note of that, young'uns."
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    I've made another thread to encourage some more feedback on the state of each of the maps:

Custom Map Cup Map Feedback Thread