Server browser Lag

shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited February 2013 in Technical Support
When I move my mouse cursor over the rows in the server browser, I get massive lag, FPS drops to 1 and theres slight audio glitching.

Here's a video, sorry about the bad quality but it does its job:

Oh yeah and of course specs:

Intel Ivy Bridge Core i5 (quad-core) 3570K @ 4.2GHz
AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4870x2 custom overclocked (GPU 775MHz, memory 960MHz)
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
Latest Catalyst 13.1 legacy drivers, all other system drivers installed.
Windows 8 x64

Comments

• rwsrws Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177696Members
    Has this always been going on for you, or just recently?
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    rws wrote: »

Sorry, cannot say, I havent paid attention to it until now.
    @rws

This is still happening for me, if it is of any use, here are some profiler screenshots from when this happens:

http://imgur.com/a/LtUMT
    edited April 2013
    Couple things I am thinking about.

It looks to me as if you're using a custom background there in your main menu from the profile shots? If this is the case, I wonder if that could be causing the lag spikes still even if it's been happening in a diff build since you first posted this issue.

From the video it looks as if something is having trouble keeping up with your mouse movement, which could be causing the momentary spike, to when you keep moving your mouse during this it makes it worse to keep up. I want to guess that something with your mouse could be causing this, perhaps you are using wireless? What kind of mouse are you using? To rule this out, try using another mouse if one is available and see if this it can be replicated.
    Couple things I am thinking about.

It looks to me as if you're using a custom background there in your main menu from the profile shots? If this is the case, I wonder if that could be causing the lag spikes still even if it's been happening in a diff build since you first posted this issue.

From the video it looks as if something is having trouble keeping up with your mouse movement, which could be causing the momentary spike, to when you keep moving your mouse during this it makes it worse to keep up. I want to guess that something with your mouse could be causing this, perhaps you are using wireless? What kind of mouse are you using? To rule this out, try using another mouse if one is available and see if this it can be replicated.

Its not a custom background, I am in-game in those profiler shots, so the background is from in-game.

I am using a wired Logitech mouse, what causes the lag is moving the cursor in a fast succession over multiple rows in the server browser.
    edited April 2013
    shonan wrote: »
    I am using a wired Logitech mouse, what causes the lag is moving the cursor in a fast succession over multiple rows in the server browser.

I was thinking about that too, and I had tried that myself with profile running to see if I could reproduce it. This is leading me to believe it could be something mouse related, but I doubt it is. I want to make sure to rule this out. Try another mouse if you have one.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @shonan ... i have yet to see a single individual with more tech support problems than you... lol..
    You may wish to consider that there is something fundamentally wrong going on in your rig.

It seems to be all related to rendering too...
    And no one else has these problems.

You seem technically proficient so i'm sure you can diagnose the issue..
    But perhaps you should try a new OS, swap out different hardware etc.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was just about to report this. Happens to me since the recent update.

My solution: don't wave cursor over all the rows.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @shonan ... i have yet to see a single individual with more tech support problems than you... lol..
    You may wish to consider that there is something fundamentally wrong going on in your rig.

It seems to be all related to rendering too...
    And no one else has these problems.

You seem technically proficient so i'm sure you can diagnose the issue..
    But perhaps you should try a new OS, swap out different hardware etc.

Look at squishpoke above ;)

I just like to report issues that I see to developers, more so than the "average customer", which explains it. I guess I am a customer hard to satisfy :P Or I just like the product so much I want to see it get better :D
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If it is hardware-related, I have a GTX 460 and an i5-3450. The GPU in particular seems to render artifacts in rare cases.
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    If it is hardware-related, I have a GTX 460 and an i5-3450. The GPU in particular seems to render artifacts in rare cases.
    Out of curiosity what OS are you running, I recall someone saying that NS2 isnt tested properly on Windows 8
    Tested with Crossfire off, still happening
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    Listening to that video-sound, I get the impression that you get a sound-loop, ie. your speakersound gets picked up by a microphone, and send through your system, to be played over the speakers again etc etc.

...might be to much for you system?

And offcourse, you should try running NS2 on a non-OC'd system first...
    Paajtor wrote: »
    Listening to that video-sound, I get the impression that you get a sound-loop, ie. your speakersound gets picked up by a microphone, and send through your system, to be played over the speakers again etc etc.

...might be to much for you system?

Still happening with all input devices disabled, good theory though.

And its not my overclock.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I will however repeat what ironhorse said before.
    You have a gazilion of problems with ns2, shonan. Something in your rig doesnt like it. You really should take some more rigorous steps to troubleshoot.

Reinstall windows, disable the overclock, remove all mods, delete the steamcache.
    Stuff like that.
    Paajtor wrote: »

My CPU is unclocked, so that isn't the issue.

I don't think it matters that much anyways, since it only happens if I wave my cursor over all the rows. It doesn't prevent me from selecting and joining a game.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited May 2013
    hmm. actually it doesnt seem THAT odd to me.
    If you move the mouse faster then the sound plays of course it produces that noise. Seems it attempts to play the sound always regardless if it finished the last time.
    Also it selects fine unless you speed around it a lot nonstop. Then I finally see it drop down.

Not sure if there is a problem, but i shall try myself regardless.

>edit
    I can not reproduce heh. But I am interested in r_stats 1.
    Seems stuff like draw calls go up when you have more in the list, regardless if it shows.
    See if it helps applying more filters?
    I will however repeat what ironhorse said before.
    You have a gazilion of problems with ns2, shonan. Something in your rig doesnt like it. You really should take some more rigorous steps to troubleshoot.

Reinstall windows, disable the overclock, remove all mods, delete the steamcache.
    Stuff like that.

Done, done, done, done. All the same. :-B
    Seems stuff like draw calls go up when you have more in the list, regardless if it shows.

• IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Wait, some people don't experience this?

I get it on my 7970, i5 2500 (3.3Ghz), 8GB ram, windows 7 home premium.
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    edited May 2013
    I also have this problem and have been getting it for as long as I've been playing.

As it happens, I also have a solution for this: lower your mouse's USB polling speed. I always suspected this was the cause, but didn't care enough to test until now. At 1000Hz polling speed, my FPS plummets to the floor when waving the mouse around in the server browser, but when lowering it to it's minimum at 125Hz, the issue disappears. Simple enough to test on my G500 with the Logitech Gaming Software.

Obviously, it's a make-shift solution, but perhaps the devs can use this to fix whatever is causing the problem in the first place?
    Khaze wrote: »
    I also have this problem and have been getting it for as long as I've been playing.

As it happens, I also have a solution for this: lower your mouse's USB polling speed. I always suspected this was the cause, but didn't care enough to test until now. At 1000Hz polling speed, my FPS plummets to the floor when waving the mouse around in the server browser, but when lowering it to it's minimum at 125Hz, the issue disappears. Simple enough to test on my G500 with the Logitech Gaming Software.

Obviously, it's a make-shift solution, but perhaps the devs can use this to fix whatever is causing the problem in the first place?
    Interesting, however I wouldnt lower my polling speed down from 500 just to fix this since it obviously would make aiming less accurate.

Here is a video with r_stats 1 showing:

• MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    Always been somehow laggy one.. While updating and browsing in same time did that also.. Engine is messy one ;) Even high particles can give massive lag spike if you look them too close :P
    Khaze wrote: »

Same happens in my g400... massive lag with 500hz & 1000hz polling rate and 250hz a little. 125hz have best performance :D Just wondering how that is affecting while gaming..
    the wut?

you get a 400+ ms per frame at times. oO

try to use profiler. while in the menu. Profiler is more prone to crash if you are not ingame, but it will definitely be interesting to see profiler shots from the biggest fps dives.

profile command:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2074238/#Comment_2074238
    edited May 2013
    There you go 500hz CEB0556FD334315B918118BE8A4844915B370352
    edited May 2013
    That seems odd, cant make head or tails from it.
    Perhaps Ironhorse or a PR can make more sense from it.

The MS on the game thread is insane.
    the % are all in such a odd state I can not even begin to realise what is causing this. (if you look at ironhorse his examples in the thread I linked, you see vast difference.

perhaps its due to having r_stats on while profiler runs?

lets wait till a dev or pt sees this. :)

>edit
    was not due to r_stats 1. I simply can not reproduce this. You are not using any addons? nothing mounted, for sure?
    edited May 2013
    Another one, not sure but I had 2 ns2.exe's on :D when I took the first one: CD1875D3363227952E14A85FBC65A00FBF978311
    only thing close to what I saw was a old 160 build problem.
    So yes... uhm.. PT anyone? XD
    BTW, only "raw input on" does that