UI Suggestion - Options Menu

GenericOverusedNameGenericOverusedName Join Date: 2013-02-12 Member: 183022Members, Reinforced - Shadow
From what I'm assuming, there are three basic use cases for the options menu:

1. User opens it to look at the options, but does not change anything, and returns to the main menu.
2. User opens it, changes something, wishes to keep the settings, and returns to the main menu.
3. User opens it, changes something, does NOT want to keep the changes, and returns to the main menu.

As it exists currently, case 1 works out fine.

Cases 2 and 3 are not so great at the moment. If I change a setting and hit 'Apply', I'm assuming that it has kept that setting when I hit 'Back'. But if I change something and then hit 'Back', I don't know if the setting has been kept or reverted. As of now, the settings are kept whether or not you hit the Apply button at all. In fact, the settings are applied automatically to the main menu background, so the 'Apply' button seems to be completely pointless at the moment.

My suggestion would be to change the 'Apply' button to 'Save', and make it so that if the user changes a setting and hits 'Back' without first saving, that a prompt appears asking them if they want to revert. This would require remembering the prior settings when a user messes around with stuff, so I understand that it's not as easy as just slapping a popup box on the thing.