Just me or pub games getting way better?

Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
Title says it all. I feel like the quality of pub play, at last on the East USA servers I frequent, has gone way way up. It used to be I would play tens of games every time I sat down, and maybe one of them would be decent. That decent game would still have one team clearly dominate, but it would just take them longer to get to gg.

Lately it seems like most pub players know how to play. Sure, some games still end pretty quickly due to a successful rush, but about one in three games in the past week has been extra long with lots of back and forth. I've played multiple games over an hour long.

Just yesterday we had one that was truly epic. We already had a few good games on the server, and I alien comm'd one last game before bed. We started in cave. Right away I cysted up cavern, central, crushing, sorting, deposit, and central. We tried to push repair, but marines took it. They let us in deposit surprisingly easily. I built the deposit hive first, but we lost central. We couldn't take central back, and it wasn't long before they arc'd deposit. That's when it all got crazy. I can't even remember the sequence of events. I remember the cyst chain was constantly being broken. I remember having to rebuild upgrades constantly as they got harassed by jetpackers. I remember cave and sorting both going down at least once. I got kicked out of the hive at least twice and had to run to get to a new one. I felt like we had definitely lost quite a few times when exos were in deposit and cave. I was ready to give up multiple times, but we stuck with it. I think I built almost as many hives as I did harvesters in that game. All I remember about the end was that we got three hives fully grown again, retook central, I bought onos eggs, we put a fourth hive in repair, and sealed the deal.

Anyone else having this experience?

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Always good games on the west coast. One of the servers I really like are getting regular/familiar faces now, which is cool.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    Yeah, I think the vast majority of new players are starting to get a hang of the game.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think it's mostly the lack of all the greens that have quit after the sales or spent the time learning to play.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    Hopefully you can rub off onto the Aus pub scene good lord many of them are just terrible
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    edited February 2013
    I feel people are doing slightly less window licking but the teamwork and strategy of pub play is still very much lacking. People are learning though and will continue to learn so I suspect things to only get better :)
  • Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Always good games on the west coast. One of the servers I really like are getting regular/familiar faces now, which is cool.
    I also like seeing the familiar faces. There is one particular group of players with names such as Gorge Clooney, Gorge Washington, Curious Gorge, etc. Always good to see them join. Maybe I should start trying to friend people on Steam who I see often.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Locklear wrote: »
    I think it's mostly the lack of all the greens that have quit after the sales or spent the time learning to play.

/thread

Playas be learnin'!
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    Volcano wrote: »
    Hopefully you can rub off onto the Aus pub scene good lord many of them are just terrible

Most of that is because the AUS community is small so at night you generally have 1 or 2 servers with players, both of which are stacked to the ceiling for one side. Can't remember the last time I've had a close game on an AUS server tbh.

Just the other night I specced 4 maps in a row where it seemed like a scrim with the same players on each team every round. I'm not saying it was a 'deliberate' stack but the AUS community is so small the good players end up wanting to team with other people they know can play the game.

I've started playing USA servers. Most of them are positive on the mic more as a start. From what I've seen it's not a rampant stack you get 90% of AUS games. The biggest complaint I've had is my 250 ping which I can understand, and I always ask if I'm teleporting or just lagging.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'm finding the opposite, starting to hate pubs more and more, I think it's because I've been scrimming more often and I can't handle pub mentality anymore.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    I'm finding the opposite, starting to hate pubs more and more, I think it's because I've been scrimming more often and I can't handle pub mentality anymore.

Wait until you get sick of the competitive mentalities, lol!
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Kalabalana wrote: »

Wait until you get sick of the competitive mentalities, lol!

No fun anywhere ever.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester

Wouldn't say I'm starting to hate pubs, but I know the feeling. :)

Although I have to agree with the OP, the average skill level has certainly gone up since release, but I guess it's only normal.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Not getting better for me. 80% of the time I just get sh*t matches. Almost no one listens, one round even the whole team stood in containment while half the team evolved to gorges and did not attack anything at all.
  • SolaritySolarity Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170515Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not getting better for me. 80% of the time I just get sh*t matches. Almost no one listens, one round even the whole team stood in containment while half the team evolved to gorges and did not attack anything at all.

Just need to find a better server. We require people to listen and have headphones, else we sometimes boot people. We are less concerned with skill and more concerned with working with other players and comm.
  • FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    Its just the natural process post release of any game where bad players / derpy players start to quit and the community becomes more condensed, offering better games for everyone.

Every time there is a steam sale I cringe.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Most of my ns2 enjoyment comes from cyst rupture, bonewall, cloak, whips and things to annoy marines.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    edited February 2013
    I dunno about average skill making any jumps, but the games are good. Less obnoxious players.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    This is definitely true.

Most players have stopped doing really stupid/hopeless things and are playing more strategically now. Overall team strategies are a lot better now.
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    Scatter wrote: »
    Most of my ns2 enjoyment comes from cyst rupture, bonewall, cloak, whips and things to annoy marines.

The other night on Veil when your comm trapped me in that bonewall in cargo I thought I was stuffed, then I turned around and was looking into your panic filled Lerk eyes as you flapped your wings so hard trying to escape. I acutally started laughing over mic before I remembered to shotgun you. :P

Then later that night on Summit I was in Vent shotgunning the alien RT when I got bonewalled right over the railing and into the abyss! :(
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    Yeah I thought you would like my bonewalls Chris