Flash grenades for Marines

XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
Guys I was thinking about a great new addition for NS 2 that is currently in some of the worlds most popular FPS past and present, flash grenades.

The basics are:

Cost 15 tres to research from armoury
One time use, think NS 1 grenade
Blind for 5 seconds, starts out full bright white screen and fades out over 5 seconds to normal
Within the concussion cone itself (close to explosion) will turn players screen 90 degrees in any random direction
Can be cooked by marines
Saps all alien energy if too close to grenade

I've spoken to a lot of the top competitive Australian NS 2 players and they all agree that this would be a great addition, it would add lots of immersion and create more micro opportunities in battle for marines, they can counter counter ambush by throwing flash on them self before being attacked by 2-3 skulks and will add spades of team work to the game as people flashing in hive areas/rooms will signal newer players now is the time to strike. This will allow you to throw well timed flashes and knock lerks or fades out of the air and disorient them and punish greedy onos base rushing you.

It's definitely open to balancing as well, maybe make onos immune to energy sap, increase blind time to 10 seconds and change from white to black screen, reduce energy reduction to 90 or 80%, we've already established in numerous threads that marines don't need vision to shoot skulks so applying asymmetrical balancing aliens wouldn't need energy or vision to kill marines reliably, imagine catching a sneaky vent lerk out with a well timed nade and shooting them down before they know what's happening, placing a flash at your feet that goes off as fade shift steps in for the kill, he loses all energy and vision while you shotgun him down, lob flash over the gorge clogs then chase and unload your entire clip into him while he runs around blind and whimpering unable to heal himself or his hydras, I think this would be a wonderful edition to natural selection 2.

Comments

• YeahbrahYeahbrah Join Date: 2013-02-15 Member: 183084Members
    An interesting idea that would no doubt need testing.
    7/10 brah
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Thanks m8, here's a fun statistic, 100% of FPS games without flash nade failed and died. UT, quake, DoD S, NS1, HLDM, battlefield (soon), L4D2 (soon), hat fortress had already gone under and took F2P to revive it + hats, it seems like such a core mechanic sorely lacking from FPS today.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Xao wrote: »
    Thanks m8, here's a fun statistic, 100% of FPS games without flash nade failed and died. UT, quake, DoD S, NS1, HLDM, battlefield (soon), L4D2 (soon), hat fortress had already gone under and took F2P to revive it + hats, it seems like such a core mechanic sorely lacking from FPS today.

All of those games are still played... Your statistic is flawed..

as for
    Xao wrote: »
    Within the concussion cone itself (close to explosion) will turn players screen 90 degrees in any random direction
    Saps all alien energy if too close to grenade

These would be the only two no no things. It's a flashbang, not an EMP, MACs have EMPs. For this.
    Screwing with peoples view rotation will just annoy them. It doesn't add to the effect. A simple whiteout is enough to completely stop an alien from killing you as is.

Time equal to that of gorge spit on a marine screen would seem fair, maybe as little longer if extremely close.

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    MAC EMP is useless, I don't think I have ever used it, and can only think of maybe one or two situations that would work with it (base attack delay or stop an onos hitting an exo).

The worst foe of the MAC is bile bomb, which occurs at quite a distance, or a skulk, which regens energy again too quickly for it to be useful.

That said, I don't think the nade should reduce energy. Possibly the attack speed?
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Flash grenades were the single most annoying aspect of the Counter-Strike games (particularly CS:Source) and were one of the main reasons why I eventually stopped playing that god-forsaken game.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Great troll thread, would read again.
  • mrmoo2002mrmoo2002 Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182700Members
    I also like this idea a lot. The knockback seems counterproductive, but a flashbang would be a nice way to disrupt alien vision (including night vision/aka:easy mode)
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    -WildCat- wrote: »
    Flash grenades were the single most annoying aspect of the Counter-Strike games (particularly CS:Source) and were one of the main reasons why I eventually stopped playing that god-forsaken game.

You must have been pretty bad at CS.
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    -WildCat- wrote: »

You must have been pretty bad at CS.

Oh ho ho... Whadda zinger! =D>
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You could make it supersonic as well so marines are not influenced by it. I like it. Maybe as second mine option if not as grenade?

-> Vision cluttery in NS2 is big already on marine side, so this may give a balance.