More graphics settings

shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I think there should be more detailed graphics settings that would allow turning motion blur and other effects off, this should help people with bad performance a lot.

Comments

• HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Some effects are so minor that they don't make any difference to performance.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Motion blur and other similar effects make a big difference. Its a shame you cannot currently control them. There is a reason they are present in other games' settings.

Oh and these things do stack up you know.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    shonan wrote: »
    Motion blur and other similar effects make a big difference. Its a shame you cannot currently control them. There is a reason they are present in other games' settings.

Does NS2 even have motion blur?

edited February 2013

Does NS2 even have motion blur?

Yes, there are even mods on Steam Workshop that remove it. I'd love to see being able to disable these kind of things that really arent important but reduce performance.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2013
    No, there is no motion blur in NS2, especially after B238 that removed the celerity effects.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    Regnareb wrote: »
    No, there is no motion blur in NS2, especially after B238 that removed the celerity effects.
    Good that they have been removed altogether, however still I'd like to be able to disable other similar visual effects.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Still blur when map is open, visual and audio changes on low hp.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    Jekt wrote: »

Sounds like you're the kinda guy who would love a pink skulk mod.

There is no motion blur. So can you list some of the other 'settings' you would like to adjust? And maybe double check if they actually exist in the game first.
    edited February 2013
    joederp wrote: »

There is no motion blur. So can you list some of the other 'settings' you would like to adjust? And maybe double check if they actually exist in the game first.
    Motion blur was there before that patch removed it, sorry for not reading the patch notes thorouhgly before posting just to make sure (not).

I would like to be able to turn off non-gameplay affecting effects like on-screen effects similar to motion blur etc. that are just eye-candy and would improve performance with them off, also smoke and other effects in the gameworld, although those do block vision which may be gameplay affecting.

All kinds of taxing transparency effects etc in the game.

Motion blur was there before that patch removed it, sorry for not reading the patch notes thorouhgly before posting just to make sure (not).

I would like to be able to turn off non-gameplay affecting effects like on-screen effects similar to motion blur etc. that are just eye-candy and would improve performance with them off, also smoke and other effects in the gameworld, although those do block vision which may be gameplay affecting.

Be more specific.
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    I'd love a setting to cut down the number of light sources, similar to the NSL map versions on the workshop...Can't imagine it'd be easy to implement though
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/127986/fps-benchmarking-an-update

A thread showing each grahpic option's effect on FPS.
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Way back yonder, I did some benchmarking to gauge how different options affected my framerate. Both the game and my system have changed since then so I thought it useful to redo the analysis. The results aren't necessarily surprising, but its good to get numbers regarding it. Results below:

SHORT ANSWER
    cdIr0jZ.png
    Chizzler wrote: »
    I'd love a setting to cut down the number of light sources, similar to the NSL map versions on the workshop...Can't imagine it'd be easy to implement though

That's the only way to implement it that I know of.

Be more specific.
    More specific? Go into the game and look at those taxing transparent effects everywhere all over maps and your screen.
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    edited February 2013
    Chizzler wrote: »

That's the only way to implement it that I know of.

I think it's technically possible to do it without having it as a seperate map. Much like selecting which textures to use depending on the graphics settings, you could tag which light sources are enabled. Therefore all the light sources exist, but some are simply disabled dependent on your graphics settings.

In other games, you can shoot out lights in-game, so it's definitely possible to disable light sources in code, otherwise, it'd be loading a new map each time you shot out a light in those games.

Exactly how one would go about implementing such a system I don't know (or if the spark engine is even capable of doing so).
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff

because he stated facts? Shame people like you polute the forums.