Inspiration - Aliens Colonial Marines (Video+Screens)

JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
edited February 2013 in Mapping
btw:
*ns2 looks better! but the professional setting sometimes looks really cool (design, lightning)
*you can have a ingame look at 12 february (if you bought it)

full video: http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/02/02/ign-live-presents-aliens-colonial-marines (playtime: 2h 10m)
Game starts @: 2m 9s (ingame intro)
Gameplay starts @: 6m (player movement)

at 6m 10s: LGZhY6R.jpg
at 6m 38s: zkzmgUS.jpg
at 7m 16s: lJukwOk.jpg
at 9m 30s: qkG0VtB.jpg
at 11m 23s: MZipqXR.jpg
at 11m 54s: prpPV4D.jpg
at 12m 38s: l3Yd4dg.jpg
at 15m 22s: RtDOgEG.jpg
at 16m 18s: qvdT2gI.jpg
at 17m 49s: GURExla.jpg
at 18m 13s: MCDpOo5.jpg
at 18m 40s: XH70Bx1.jpg

...and so on...

Comments

• DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    This is great, thanks for posting it all for us to see!

Is it just me, or is the lighting... clunky looking in parts? Even the first screenshots lighting makes no sense to me (2 area lights somehow creating spotlight on door).

However the architecture is great inspiration - looks great!
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Nice post, thanks! Looks really nice in parts, the rooms are nicely detailed and believable. In comparison to ns maps, they're a little bland in terms of the larger architecture. but I'm just going off the screenshots, I'll hold out watching the video just in case the game is actually good (still not sure on that) but I want to keep the thrill power for when I actually play it. Nothing worse than having trailers spoil all the surprises!
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    @Howser:
    if possible (guess you will buy aliens colonial marines)...
    please make some ingame screenshots and maybe upload them,
    if you see some cool areas ingame.

1. take screenshots: (1 second of your time per each screenshot)
    F12 ingame: for screenshot (aliens colonial marines uses steam so it should be possible to capture a screenshot by pressing F12)
    2. upload to (maybe) imageur.com: (5 seconds to point it to your alien colonial marines screenshot directory + pressing the upload button)
    3. post the album link to this thread here (20 seconds for login + posting this).

4. i would get each specific link out of the album and directly post each image link here (if this would be to much work for you)

thank you, if this would be possible.
    i would do it by myself, but i wont buy the game.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    ooh very nice - dead space 1,2,3 also have some really nice areas, as well as metroid prime 3
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I'll be waiting for reviews my guess is its not going to be all that special... I certainly wouldn't preorder it! but in the case I do buy it i'll take shots of anything I like and post them for you
    FOV maxed, excuse the distortion for sake of vision, and excuse the few I was injured (red)

http://imgur.com/a/r2BPB

One thing I noticed is a few lights with heavy atmosphere combined with other lights without it

• schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited February 2013
    WORST.GAME.EVER. and possibly some kind of scam :

also you didn't screen shot the coolest room of the game - which is the room right after this one:
    zYmsQK3h.jpg

would make a really cool hive room
  • VonDoomVonDoom Knee deep in the latency Join Date: 2009-10-08 Member: 68989Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shame the story didn't live up to its expectations, but visually it looks really sweet. Im sure there are some ideas to steal from here :D
  • WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Environment art is pretty sweet but the level design itself is fucking crap, everything's so goddamn boxy, no curves, nothing is slanted just 90 degree turns EVERYWHERE.
    Check out this comparison of the Demo and the actual game:

• JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Not entirely sure what happened with the development but something went horribly wrong, but at least it goes to show that it doesn't matter how much money you throw at a game it doesn't meant it will be AAA quality.
    I'm glad I spent my money on the FAR better Alien vs Marine game.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited February 2013
    WhiteDevil wrote: »
    Environment art is pretty sweet but the level design itself is fucking crap, everything's so goddamn boxy, no curves, nothing is slanted just 90 degree turns EVERYWHERE.
    have you not played alien trilogy? :-w
    the game had potential, the game still has potential.
    it's not a bad game per se, it's just not the tech demo. srsly. the teck demo rueld.