Marine rifle GL attachment should it return in some form?

deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I like the idea of bringing back the GL rifle for the marine team but with the following changes.

1. its researched by the commander at an armory for 10 res.
2. it costs the marines 5 res which gives them 1 shot and up to 3 rounds can be bought at 15 res.
3. The damage and trajectory are equal to the GL.

Basically it would be to costly to be used constantly but would be ideal to reasearch and hvae 5 or 6 marines spend 5 res on a grenade to clear a heavily fortified position early game. the great thing is the model is already done and wouldnt need alteration, for those who dont know its a standard rifle with a GL attached to the bottom. Firing the GL is done by pressing alt fire, you loose the ability to melee with the rifle whislt a GL is attached.

Comments

• ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    Far too powerful as you've created it to be viable.

One major factor you are disregarding is that the principal weakness of the GL is that the marine hefting it is pretty defenseless and should be easy meat for any half-wit skulk. What you have listed above would be superior, in every way, to the already existing GL because it allows you to both have personal defense via LMG and the big-bang/AOE of the GL for anti-skulk/teammate cover/clog-bustin'.

Consider that you'd get ~6-8 grenades, at your liesure and early game access for the cost of the 'GL', without an advanced armory and with no drawback to the Marine early-game. Further, self-defended GL'ers, etc.

Overall, I think it's a creative concept, but it absolutely poops on any sense of 'balance' whatsoever, unless you give it an incredibly absurd cost (This kind of tech would be easily better than the existing GL, and would need to be further in tech than the existing, imo) which would render it pointless, or give it some kind of serious drawback.

-All-In | Colt
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited February 2013
    i think it would ceertainly increase that marine win ratio, but balancing it would be a problem, perhaps restricting it to 1 Grenade at a time so you can only ever have 1 grenade in the rifle and once fired would need to buy another for 5 res at an armory as opposed to buying up to 3 and spending 15 res at a time

but basically each grenade for the attachment will cost you 5 res, with the GL for 25 pres you get infinate grenades, for the rifle with GL for 5 res you get 1 grenade but can also use the rifle

8 grenades would cost you 40 res which would be a hefty amount, so i dont think it would absolutely poop on balance.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    It was detrimental to gameplay, which I think takes preference over balance. The idea is to have other players defend the single grenade launcher marine. Having a bunch of self sufficient players removes the need for teamwork.
    edited February 2013
    they arent exactly self sufficent i mean they only have 1 Grenade each but it would certainly give marines a fighting chance. vs a base siege thoguh having a marine with a gl who can buy infinate ammo would be substantially better.

i feel as thoguh this is the reason why marines are loosing more than they should be, the Rifle with gl was extremely powerful and bringing it back albiet very restricted and costly would restore some much needed balance.

aliens are winning nearly 60% of matches and soon they will have their own version of phase gates and babblers.
    they arent exactly self sufficent i mean they only have 1 Grenade each but it would certainly give marines a fighting chance. vs a base siege thoguh having a marine with a gl who can buy infinate ammo would be substantially better.

i feel as thoguh this is the reason why marines are loosing more than they should be, the Rifle with gl was extremely powerful and bringing it back albiet very restricted and costly would restore some much needed balance.

aliens are winning nearly 60% of matches and soon they will have their own version of phase gates and babblers.

If its one grenade, it could just be added as a hand thrown, like in NS1. Players might like the ability, but what would it be used against primarily?
    I would prefer if it was more of a structural damage focused grenade. Like an ARC based grenade or something. Otherwise it might be too generally applicable and too much of a no brainer.

• SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    The best place for a weapon mounted GL - if they go that way - would be on the shottie. The LMG needs to stay 'stock' with the melee alternate action, if for nothing but consistency. Why the shottie? Firstly, since the shottie has no alternate fire action. Secondly, I think it would be easier to balance/justify.

The regular shottie can stay where it is now on the armory tech tree. The advanced/GL shottie tech will be in the advanced armory, at an appropriate research cost. The GL shottie would be 25 p-res, equivalent to a GL. The 5 p-res difference being the 3 or 4 grenade limit on the shottie, which would only be refillable at an armory. Since a regular GL costs 25, you can't call the limited GL shottie OP since it costs the same as a GL, and the GL can dish out way more damage.

I don't like a GL on the LMG though.
    Savant wrote: »
    The best place for a weapon mounted GL - if they go that way - would be on the shottie. The LMG needs to stay 'stock' with the melee alternate action, if for nothing but consistency. Why the shottie? Firstly, since the shottie has no alternate fire action. Secondly, I think it would be easier to balance/justify.

The regular shottie can stay where it is now on the armory tech tree. The advanced/GL shottie tech will be in the advanced armory, at an appropriate research cost. The GL shottie would be 25 p-res, equivalent to a GL. The 5 p-res difference being the 3 or 4 grenade limit on the shottie, which would only be refillable at an armory. Since a regular GL costs 25, you can't call the limited GL shottie OP since it costs the same as a GL, and the GL can dish out way more damage.

The shotgun is the typical go to weapon of most jetpackers though isn't it. In general the change to the shotgun may not be too overpowered, but having a jetpacker flying around with that much power, and no sacrifice, seems too potent. At the very least it would further remove the Exo from favor.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As I've said before, the current implementation of weapons is supposed to create differences between players on your team, with strengths and weaknesses for each. Hybridizing the weapons removes that particular kind of synergy.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    |strofix| wrote: »

The shotgun is the typical go to weapon of most jetpackers though isn't it. In general the change to the shotgun may not be too overpowered, but having a jetpacker flying around with that much power, and no sacrifice, seems too potent. At the very least it would further remove the Exo from favor.
    Yeah I think SG and GL would not be much different than LMG and GL...in fact it could be worse as the SG takes fades down better than a LMG did so increases survival rate of JP'er.

Perhaps you could merge the FT and GL but even then your allowing both ranged and melee.
    I think we are stuck with never having underslung again, personal GL's always irked me and removed the requirement to research GL's.
    hakenspit wrote: »
    |strofix| wrote: »

Perhaps you could merge the FT and GL but even then your allowing both ranged and melee.

Secondary fire flame grenades anyone?

• SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    edited February 2013
    I didn't bother playing the alpha/beta until that atrocity was removed from the game. I'm sorry, anyone calling for it's return is unwise. *Be polite.* -Talesin
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    way too overpowered an idea. Why bother getting a gl if the whole team can have gls + primary weapon?

The only weapon change I could see would be a flamer on the single exo (using the same energy pool to stop super spam) or chainsaw instead of fist, have it heat up so you cant keep it on all the time.
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2013
    Honestly this isn't as good as you think it is. The GL attachment on the lmg in the beta was awful. Not to mention the shotgun is the most cost-effective weapon in this game right now. Why waste res on this?
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    edited February 2013
    I didn't bother playing the alpha/beta until that atrocity was removed from the game. I'm sorry, anyone calling for it's return is unwise. *Be polite.* -Talesin
    Dont disagree, the beta with the underslung was a horrific time for those that liked to play aliens.

But I think it does serve as an example when considering other combinations. Especially on the exo as this is an area that will be getting additions in the future.
    Whilst a FT on an exo sounds good...it also sounds terribly OP'd and means they would be almost invincible against skulks, gorges, fades and even Onii.
    So if they are considering a chainsaw, like most warhammer geeks would like, it would have to do stuff all extra damage than a normal fist (which is no feather touch) or risk making them too hard to kill as melee is the exo's weakness.

• _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mhh... don't judge by the title. The old GL attachment was to powerful. Nobody wants it back. But as a 1-time use item for p-res, it could work. Like the hand grenade from NS1 only with the advantage that you don't need to create new animations and models. Just alter the ammo-counter and develop a short detach-animation after you shot the grenade.

For 5 p-res this could be a situational weapon to clear out gorges in vents or behind a hydra-clog-wall.
    Practically a pay-to-solve-problem thing. The grenade in NS1 worked too. And because you pay per use, it would be kept situational.
  • SeductiveDuckSeductiveDuck Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175662Members
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    Like the hand grenade from NS1

This. Early T.res sink for com, allows rines to spwn with 1 or 2 nades (less powerful than gl nades). Better handling of early skulk rushes be they ganking team mates or chewing on some node or ip.

You could have a p2u buttt its too similar towards mines, and the extra wait for sgs would put off a lot of players. Also gimping the use of exo even more by players having less res.

Dunno just my thoughts.

_Necro_ wrote: »
    Mhh... don't judge by the title. The old GL attachment was to powerful. Nobody wants it back. But as a 1-time use item for p-res, it could work. Like the hand grenade from NS1 only with the advantage that you don't need to create new animations and models. Just alter the ammo-counter and develop a short detach-animation after you shot the grenade.

For 5 p-res this could be a situational weapon to clear out gorges in vents or behind a hydra-clog-wall.
    Practically a pay-to-solve-problem thing. The grenade in NS1 worked too. And because you pay per use, it would be kept situational.

Nobody will buy it. Not for 5 res. I don't even think people would buy it for 1 res. Its simply too situational, and nobody likes spending hard currency on situational perks.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    edited February 2013
    This would make more sense as a satchel charge. Your costs sound about right, maybe 15 tres, 10 pres. More powerful than a grenade. Short toss range. Detonate on click.

Ideally strong enough to blow a hole in a clog wall, but small AOE. Gorge backed walls are a nightmare early game. Especially in places like bar where a flank is nearly impossible. Marines lack the firepower to breach.

Advanced use could counter incoming/escaping aliens. The key is to get the damage and AOE right. Don't want a 10 pres fade smasher or a hard counter to skulk packs. Anticipation, placement, and timing should be key.

Edit 5-10 pres = 1 satchel. Marine can only carry one at a time.
    edited February 2013
    the idea is that a heavily fortified position can hurt the marines for the remainder of the game especially early on, this would allow the marines to spend a 1 time pres to purchase a grenade at 5 pres and use it to clear a heavily fortified position or a gorge from a vent. at 5 pres 1 grenade that once fires the attachment detaches from the rifle isnt going to be to op, 1 grenade wont kill a gorge or structure, but when coordinated with other marines 5 marines = 5 greandes.

its essentially an alternative to ns1 nades with the bonus that the model and animations are already present, they could have this ready for testing in the beta tomorrow.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Maybe we could tape the flamethrower too it as well? We're hunting aliens after all. :)

Anyway, basically you'd want the hand grenade from NS1 back? I could get behind that idea.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    As I've said before, the current implementation of weapons is supposed to create differences between players on your team, with strengths and weaknesses for each. Hybridizing the weapons removes that particular kind of synergy.
    Putting a GL on the shottie doesn't do that though. The point behind my alternate suggestion is that it still makes the shottie wielder vulnerable. While you can fire a grenade at range, it is a ground level weapon. It's not like an LMG where a GL is a straight up upgrade. For the shottie you are still vulnerable to ranged attackers since grenades are slow, fall to the ground and are generally avoidable. Of course the 25 p-res cost to buy a Shottie/GL means this isn't going to be a weapon you can get every time like the LMG/GL was in beta.

The LMG really needs to be left as is imho. There should always be a 'stock' weapon like the LMG, just as there is with the skulk. Upgrades should involve new weapons, not changes to the LMG.

• targetducktargetduck Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180718Members
    If the grenade launcher remains useless like it is at the minute then adding a GL attachment to the rifle as a replacement seems like a good idea.

Every weapon except the shotgun is really crap.
    Marines could do with more solid weapon options. Exos, GLs and flamethrowers are all weak, have niche uses and importantly are all really bad at their supposed niche. The rifle is great for the early game but becomes useless versus anything equal or tankier than a carapace gorge cause you'll die reloading.

Maybe combining the GL and rifle would give marines a second general late game weapon choice.
    Or they could make whips not completly counter the GL.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "Nobody will buy it. Not for 5 res. I don't even think people would buy it for 1 res. Its simply too situational, and nobody likes spending hard currency on situational perks"

Did you play NS1? Because, uhm, lots of people brought situation grenades in NS1.
    edited February 2013
    i would buy it, depending on istuation, example armory and pg built in overlook, but 2 gorges and 6 hydras defending the route up to sub from overlook, go to armory and buy a grenade, maybe convince other marines to do same and fire it at the hydras.

hive rush near begining of game, would improve the marines chances if they all had 1 grenade each, condiering its easier to base rush marines than aliens i think this would even it abit more.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    NS1 handnades were AWESOME.
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    Reloading the LMG grenade consumes a 50-round mag.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    Uhm, why not be creative? Instead of grenades, make them gas/poision grenades for early game flushing tactics, so the marine comm doesn't have to micromanage and waste RES on scanning.
    Or maybe fire-able scan 'grenades', like the motion sensors in Bad Company 2 that you could throw.
    edited February 2013
    would be a nice idea also prehaps instead of an ordinary grenade the GL attachment fires a toxin grenade that harms kharaa and structures over time like the spores but agaisnt aliens it might be enough to drive the gorges away from structures they are healing long enoguh to kill them