NSL Oceanic Season 1 3rd place decider

elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Hey guys, unfortunately the 1st place decider for the oceanic (AU) div had to end in a forfeit, so i can only bring you the third place decider between -/AUS/- vs HeX.

Pretty entertaining matches nonetheless, especially game 4. Apologies in advance for the 'just-woke-up casting', sadly my normal caster dude was unavailable :(.

Game 1
Game 2
Game 3
Game 4

Comments

• ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    lolz, nice seeing those type of plays in a competative game
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The sheer unadulterated disappointment in your voice says it all at times... At least, whatever Beethoven doesn't say instead!

Thanks for the links, interesting to watch :)
  • PsieonicPsieonic Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182838Members
    I'm sorry /AUS/, but you guys really need to practice your Marine. :(

Match 3 was a regrettable loss, but you put up a good fight all the same. It was a good match.

Match 1 and 4 should never have happened in a finals game. Not even for 3rd place. It's obvious you favour Alien and HeX picked up on that and took advantage of it.

Good games for Match 2 and 3 and well played by AUS for those ones, and well played by HeX overall.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    @Psieonic
    Yeah, our marine game definitely needs work. Though we're not entirely sure what the greater concern is; the skill gap or poor planning/tactics.

One thing worth noting:
    The Oceanic league had about half of the participating clans fall apart or become inactive over its course. I can't recall how many clans were left at the end of the season, but I think it was about 4-5...

[EDIT] Watching those matches, particularly the 3rd one, highlighted so many things we should have done (if nothing else, I should have kept those bombard whips in Sub, they would have really helped against those ARCs) -_-

Also elodea, nice Beethoven :p
  • PsieonicPsieonic Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182838Members
    Planning does help certainly, but I think to start off with the more immediate problem seemed to simply be a skill gap problem. Your individual skill playing Marines compared with how well you play Alien is highly noticeable.

Even without improvements to your commanding/planning side of things, I think you'll all see a substantial gain simply getting more marine practice in. That alone could have made you a much more formidable opponent for these matches.

However; throw some additional team work excercises and commaning/planning improvement in and you may have been looking at a 1st or 2nd place finish instead. :) So it all counts.

I hear you on the competition scene being very quiet though. I'm actually somewhat interested in joining a competitive team myself, but I haven't looked hard for a team to join. For now I'll just keep pubbing it up and getting irritated at newbies trying to rambo-mode. :P
  • GrueneMedizinGrueneMedizin Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 175008Members
    Stopped watching after the comm didnt jump out to save the IP
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    dat pubstar. He didn't jump out in order to drop medpacks. It's also harder than you think to overcome commander sickness and kill two skulks in the dc CC area.

@Psieonic
    The few active clans that are still left most already have B teams, you should look at starting a new team and signing up for ensl season 2 ;).