co_hellevator

schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
edited February 2013 in Mapping
co_hellevator. A small action packed combat map. "It's one hell of a ride."

FIND IT HERE http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=125942798

beta version 1 is ready for play :)

I may do an NS2 vanilla version as well later.

cohellevator.png

Comments

• Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Looks like hell of a fun
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Rudy thats quite punny (I'll stop now)
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    Hellevator: Make sure you get off at the right stop. *insert cheesy horror movie evil laugh*

hellevatorvents.png
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    This is very cool. I hope more servers decide to run custom maps like this. As it is you always get the same small set of combat maps that are listed at the top of the main combat mode thread. It is even worse in vanilla NS2. Lots more custom maps and the few servers running them are nearly always empty.

Maybe all the servers with active communities are afraid everyone will quit if they add new maps to the rotation?
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    bp2008 wrote: »
    This is very cool. I hope more servers decide to run custom maps like this. As it is you always get the same small set of combat maps that are listed at the top of the main combat mode thread. It is even worse in vanilla NS2. Lots more custom maps and the few servers running them are nearly always empty.

Maybe all the servers with active communities are afraid everyone will quit if they add new maps to the rotation?

In my opinion there are several issues with Combat maps right now (stats based on last 2 weeks):
    • The 'official' combat maps appear to have a marine win rate close to 35% for marines
    • Custom maps will vary heavily, with maps like minifridge where marines have a 60% win rate, assault with 32%, and chuteout has 20% win rate for marines
    • Certain custom maps are simply not viable - no one has taken co_stargate seriously in a while (1 game played in last 2 weeks)

While we all know game balance is being adjusted, current marine win % seems to hover around 40+% in classic play. This tells me that either the combat mod has messed with balance too much, or the maps are leaving something to be desired.

My opinion leans heavily towards the latter issue, and I've decided to make a serious combat map myself to help with the issue. I enjoy playing on silly maps, but the hosting community rarely keeps them in regular rotation due to the mentioned balance issues.
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I am of the opinion that servers should include lots of maps. Seriously every game-mode-appropriate playable map in the workshop would be a good start. When it comes time to change maps, randomly choose a handful of maps and let the players vote on which to change to. Include the rtv command too in case a map turns out to be horrible / broken / unbalanced or whatever. One of the vanilla NS2 servers I play on has just such a voting mod.

Anyway that makes a server a lot more fun IMHO and gives mappers a chance of having their maps played.
    DarkSeraph wrote: »
    bp2008 wrote: »

In my opinion there are several issues with Combat maps right now (stats based on last 2 weeks):
    • The 'official' combat maps appear to have a marine win rate close to 35% for marines
    • Custom maps will vary heavily, with maps like minifridge where marines have a 60% win rate, assault with 32%, and chuteout has 20% win rate for marines
    • Certain custom maps are simply not viable - no one has taken co_stargate seriously in a while (1 game played in last 2 weeks)

While we all know game balance is being adjusted, current marine win % seems to hover around 40+% in classic play. This tells me that either the combat mod has messed with balance too much, or the maps are leaving something to be desired.

My opinion leans heavily towards the latter issue, and I've decided to make a serious combat map myself to help with the issue. I enjoy playing on silly maps, but the hosting community rarely keeps them in regular rotation due to the mentioned balance issues.

Interesting, but I was checking most of the maps on NS2 stats and the wil-loss ratio is pretty close to 50% on all "official" maps which does not have some obvious flaw.
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    edited February 2013
    Rudy.cz wrote: »
    Interesting, but I was checking most of the maps on NS2 stats and the wil-loss ratio is pretty close to 50% on all "official" maps which does not have some obvious flaw.

Rudy, your work on Core is the best map so far hands down with a 52% win rate for marines.

Date range: 22.01.13-05.02.13
    % in win rate for marines

'Official'
    Veil - 37%
    Summit - 37%
    Tram - 60% (I missed this one above? oops)

Remake
    Faceoff - 36%
    Pulse - 35%
    Ulysses - 42% (pretty good!)

Custom
    Assault - 36%
    Rockdown - 38%
    Chuteout - 19% (hehe)
    Nest - 71%
    dm6 - 27%
    minifridge - 67%
    down - 75%

pulled from: http://ns2stats.org/map/index

I hope you can see why I would think that maps seem to have a polarizing effect. It's clearly manageable since Core has such a great rate.

Edit: sorry for getting thread off track Schkorpio!
    edited February 2013
    Oh, you are true. I have probably selected wrong time interval. Actual data are more relevant.

Sorry for steailing your thread Schkorpio!
    hey! no free rides!
    Hellevator - there is a reason they tell you to take the stairs.....

2013020600006.jpg
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I'm gonna leave this thread, it's too tantalizing :P
  • goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
    edited February 2013
    owww, how I miss elevators, how I miss ns_missilecommand

I hope that this map can bring back the tension to be in a elevator
    Hellavator - all hell is breaking loose

and also i changed the lighting scheme to what you see in crevice (ns2_summit map) so that it looks more cold - its now snowy - was originally going to give it a desert look.

Getting on the hellevator: (its dangerous in itself because it moves a bit crazy atm).
    2013020800006.jpg

Underneath the bridge
    2013020800005.jpg

Marine spawn / above the bridge
    2013020800004.jpg

Don't drink and fly
    2013020800003.jpg

Looking straight down the shaft
    2013020800001.jpg

Ok peoples i've released a beta version go and bite and shoot and let me know what you think :)

FIND IT HERE : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=125942798

yes the elevator itself wouldn't pass health and safety standards, but i'm hoping that JimWest or Jibrail will ugprade the combat mod and extra entities mod to make it a lot nice to ride on.

• InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
    Love simple fun maps like this.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    dont play combat mod but this map looks good, might have to in order to give this map a try
    So we played it, we had fun but it was a hell of a pain to play as Onos and fall down to the bottom of elevator shaft. The Aliens need more routes to bottom though.

The visuals are quite impressive for "fun" map and I love the readyroom :)
    Rudy.cz wrote: »
    So we played it, we had fun but it was a hell of a pain to play as Onos and fall down to the bottom of elevator shaft. The Aliens need more routes to bottom though.

The visuals are quite impressive for "fun" map and I love the readyroom :)

cool thanks Rudy.

I was worried that the onos might be too powerful if it was too easy for it to just jump down - but maybe i've made it too hard now :)

you can climb back out using the pipes but thats probably not so easy if you are getting shot at.

maybe I need a second elevator shaft heh.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I would recommend to give the rines access to stairs on the right and left from the elevator entrance level. I have seen only one rine reaching the top by elevator and one with a JP using the sideways. Adding two routes with stairs would take away the pressure from the elevator and aliens have to spread out somewhat. Or is it the masterplan to focus the fight at one spot?

Btw, I like the different levels and pipeways, kinda feels real.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2013
    Yeah I was the only one to make it up to the hive in 35mins ! once I got there I got swarmed like crazy by 6 skulks! An alternate or part alternate route may be an idea say a stair or ladder etc halfway up the liftshaft only should allow some marines to avoid the crazy nade /fade / lerk fest in the rine base
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Oh, I forgot to mention: The CC could use some more cover. It was at some point constantly under attack. I could also walk under the CC-platform as skulk and attack the CC model, it is sticking outside.
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    This map looks awesome. When I get moved in this is one of the first things I will be playing!

To those who have played it, do you think it's ready to add to the 'official' map list?
    thanks for the feedback guys :)

I was thinking of making the elevator move at a very fast speed, as an easy way to boost the marines
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    Very nice work schkorpio!
    Reminds me of my ns1 map co_level, is something like this ...... :p

when the elevators work, I'll recreate.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    You can now use func_platform which works like the train but doesnt rotate anymore so you can use it for elevators
    (its in combat mod now at workshop)