How to create a Sound Modification?

agentaibbagentaibb Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157760Members, Reinforced - Supporter
Hello everyone!
I wanted to replace the Marine's rifle noise with the C14 Gauss Rifle sound from Starcraft Brood War

Can someone provide or atleast tell me how I would go about creating a soundmod for Natural Selection 2?

Comments

• DerAkademikerDerAkademiker Join Date: 2012-12-19 Member: 175540Members
    edited February 2013
    Yes. What do you know already/what do you not know? And is your C14 sound a single shot or a loop?

However, first you should go here and download version 4.38.00 (others may be problematic):
    http://www.fmod.org/download/design.html
  • agentaibbagentaibb Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157760Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2013
    Here is the sound file right here http://vocaroo.com/i/s0dLlm90FDb8

And I've seen an NS2 Tut on how to make a sound mod before but it wasn't step by step really it was more like
    'Here is a bunch of videos on FMOD, Now have fun"
    I'd like to see if someone were to provide me a good step by step tutorial on how to create a sound mod

But if you can do so, That would be greatly appreciated
  • agentaibbagentaibb Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157760Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yes. What do you know already/what do you not know? And is your C14 sound a single shot or a loop?

However, first you should go here and download version 4.38.00 (others may be problematic):

Here is the sound right here vocaroo.com/i/s0dLlm90FDb8

And to be honest I've looked up on how to make a Soundmod for NS2 before but none of the tutorials helped me out at all really, I'd like to see someone post a step-by-step if possible

Instead of throwing a bunch of videos at someone's face and going "Have fun"

:p

Here is the sound files vocaroo.com/i/s0dLlm90FDb8

And I've looked up a tutorial on how to make a sound mod for NS2 before but It wasn't step by step it was more like
    "Here's a bunch of videos on fmod, watch these videos and have fun there"

So I'd like if someone posted a rather detailed tutorial on how to create a soundmod for ns2 :P

Here is the sound right here vocaroo.com/i/s0dLlm90FDb8

And to be honest I've looked up on how to make a Soundmod for NS2 before but none of the tutorials helped me out at all really, I'd like to see someone post a step-by-step if possible

Instead of throwing a bunch of videos at someone's face and going "Have fun"

:p

Here is the sound files vocaroo.com/i/s0dLlm90FDb8

And I've looked up a tutorial on how to make a sound mod for NS2 before but It wasn't step by step it was more like
    "Here's a bunch of videos on fmod, watch these videos and have fun there"

So I'd like if someone posted a rather detailed tutorial on how to create a soundmod for ns2 :P
    edited February 2013
    Ok I can't sleep anyways so I made this. The example is a pistol sound, you'll get the basics then. Try that first. Implementing a rifle sound is a little harder. Check the /lua/Weapons/Marine/Rifle.lua to see what is needed and check the NS2.fev to hear them. I can explain more when you don't get it. It's more about looping and sound editing then.

Making a sound mod for NS2 (Won't pass consistency checks*)
    You need:
    Notepad++
    Fmod Version 4.38.00

Getting the sound into a Fmod build

1. Download Fmod version 4.38.00 here (other versions may cause errors): http://www.fmod.org/download/design.html

2. Start Fmod Designer, make a new project (I'll call it: soundmod.fdp)

3. Right click in the left column of Fmod Designer, make a new event group. To not lose orientation, try to stick to the paths that NS2 uses.
    [You can see the paths when you open the 'NS2.fev', you'll find it inside
    /steam/steamapps/common/Natural Selection 2/ns2/sound]
    So call the new event group 'marine', right click it, make another group in it named 'pistol'

4. Right click your group 'pistol' -> add simple event, name it 'fire'

5. Add your sound file to the sound event by right clicking in the window.

6. Set 'Playback Mode' to 'Oneshot'.

7. In the right column, set 'Mode' to '3d'.

8. Save project.

9. In the menu, click 'Project' -> build. Make sure the soundbank is selected and build it.

10. Go to the folder where your Project File is located. You will see two build files 'soundmod.fev' and 'soundmod_bank00.fsb', and your project file, 'soundmod.fdp'.
    -The .fev is an index file telling the Game where the sounds are located, and what settings are used. Yours contains
    only one path, that is /marine/pistol/fire
    -Your sound file is inside the .fsb

NS2 Implementation

1. Go to /steam/steamapps/common/Natural Selection 2/

2. Add a folder for your mod (I'll call it soundmod).

3. Inside this folder, add another folder named 'sound', and one named 'lua' so you have /steam/steamapps/common/Natural Selection 2/soundmod/sound and /steam/steamapps/common/Natural Selection 2/soundmod/lua

4. Copy soundmod.fev and soundmod_bank00.fsb and paste them into the sound folder

5. Make a file named soundmod.soundinfo (.soundinfo has to be the actual extension) inside the sound folder.

6. Open the soundmod.fev and check the length of your sound event. You will find the length under 'Properties'. Let's say it is 1.650 ms.

7. Open the soundmod.soundinfo and type the following (with the line break):
    /marines/weapons/pistol/fire

8. Go to /steam/steamapps/common/Natural Selection 2/ns2/lua, copy the MarineWeaponEffects.lua and paste it into the lua folder of your mod

9. Change line 134 from
    {sound = "sound/NS2.fev/marine/pistol/fire"},

to
    {sound = "sound/soundmod.fev/marine/pistol/fire"},

Your mod is done.

Start your mod

Go to Steam -> Library -> add non-steam game
    Choose /steam/steamapps/common/Natural Selection 2/NS2.exe
    Now you have 'NS2' in the library, right click -> properties ->name it 'NS2 soundmod' and under target add -game soundmod behind the quotes, so it looks like that
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Natural Selection 2\NS2.exe" -game soundmod

Double-click the new Shortcut and enjoy.

Adjust sound volume and other settings while in-game

1. Open your Fmod project (doesn't matter where it's located)

2. Start your mod

3. Go to Options -> Video -> Change to Windowed mode

4. Load a level, check if the sound plays

5. Alt-tab to Fmod

6. In the menu, click on Audition -> manage connections...

7. Add connection with the ip 127.0.0.1, then connect.

8. Now you can change any setting you want on your sound event.

9. You may have to disconnect and connect again sometimes, also Fmod may crash.

10. If you like your changes, save the project and build it again.

Have fun.

*If you want consistency check-passing sound mods, ask UWE to publish the Source Sound Files of their Fmod project, not only the banks - or ask Server operators to exclude your modified .lua files. Right now no consistency check pass is possible for a soundmod, as long as the server checks the .lua files you changed.
    Thank you so much! :D
  • CanucckCanucck Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72987Members
    edited February 2013
    Please just make sure the sound is sync'd with the actual rate of fire and pretty much everyone will jump on this mod immediately

If you want to add in the 'shot hit target' rifle sound from sc2 or any other game that'd be awesome too
    You're welcome. Make sure to tell me if it worked, since I'm tired and may have forgotten something.
    I forgot to copy one paragraph, it's added now (the last one).
    Okay ty let me try again since yesterday I had to do something
    ty for the help though
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    Hey guys, I'm trying to download FMOD designer from the link above but getting this error message:
    "The URI you submitted has disallowed characters."

Does anyone have a mirror of the installer up on dropbox or somewhere I can get to it?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    @MCMLXXXIV Hm me too "The URI you submitted has disallowed characters.". I think I deleted the installer though. Trying to not end up with hundreds of exe's now.

Oh was poking around and saw this "To search for previous versions of FMOD Designer click here - DISABLED FOR WEBSITE MAINTENANCE. Contact support if an old version is needed." Looks like it has been down for most of July. Might just want to email support.
    support@fmod.org