NS2stats

Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
Where exactly do these stats come from, either it hasn’t been addressed of I can’t find it?

Comments

• eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    It comes from the inside; like love or indigestion. If you're having trouble finding it just wiggle it around until it feels right.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Know pain wrote: »
    Where exactly do these stats come from, either it hasn’t been addressed of I can’t find it?

It's a server side mod that reports data back to www.ns2stats.org. It's not all games ever, the server mod is optional. No idea on number of servers, but I doubt its much more then 10% of the servers out there.

• LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Most public servers (KKG) populated atm use NS2Stats from what I've seen.

Not to mention like 99% of competitive servers use it. But yes, it's a server mod.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    rantology wrote: »
    http://ns2stats.org/server/index

It's very hard to find, I know. ;P

Ha yep was about to post that myself. You'll notice a good number of those servers haven't reported in days. Which makes it so much easier to discredit people who say balance is off because NS2 stats shows more alien wins that marine wins.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter

Wow that isn't many servers at all.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    So this begs the question is UWE trying to balance this game off servers that play combat? If so, the balance equation goes out the window and since many combat servers are usually 10v10 or more.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited February 2013
    Davil wrote: »

Ha yep was about to post that myself. You'll notice a good number of those servers haven't reported in days. Which makes it so much easier to discredit people who say balance is off because NS2 stats shows more alien wins that marine wins.

That "last round" column is totally wrong. Many of those servers have played less than an hour ago (multiple KKGs for example) yet it says they haven't reported for nearly 2 weeks.

Ghosthree3 wrote: »

There are also 77 servers listed on that page. My server browser finds 498 servers total.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    You realize NS2 Stats is a community run mod & website right?

UWE has their own extensive stats tracking that looks at all kinds of stuff, it's unavailable to the public.

...and of course they don't balance off of combat mod... do you really think they are that stupid?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    GORGEous wrote: »

That "last round" column is totally wrong. Many of those servers have played less than an hour ago (multiple KKGs for example) yet it says they haven't reported for nearly 2 weeks.

There are also 77 servers listed on that page. My server browser finds 498 servers total.

I find around 950 servers total.
    edited February 2013

I find around 950 servers total.

You find 950 servers on the in game server browser? I just refreshed it about 5 times and my number varies from 500 - 510. That's odd that it changes at all or that there is such a large discrepancy between mine and yours.

Filters seem to have no affect on this number. All of mine are off, anyway. Turning them up/on didn't change the number.
    I just re checked, I get 521 servers atm, but I was DEFINITELY getting 950 in b237. Maybe the other half just haven't updated (batch servers like internode, games.on.net, aussie servers btw), so they won't be shown to b239 clients.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor

UWE has their own extensive stats tracking that looks at all kinds of stuff, it's unavailable to the public.
    While that's true, it should be noted that NS2stats is endorsed by UWE and is currently featured on the main page of the NS2 website. (main window, third screen/button)

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I just re checked, I get 521 servers atm, but I was DEFINITELY getting 950 in b237. Maybe the other half just haven't updated (batch servers like internode, games.on.net, aussie servers btw), so they won't be shown to b239 clients.
    That's pretty much the case. Nanogrid is a better count of the servercount (though it does miss some). I also know that UWE was planning to scale back the number of official servers several months after the release.

• MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    Speaking of ns2stats, I was looking at finally trying that out on my server, however the site seems to be down? Or is there something wrong on my end?
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I really wish UWE would make their stats public so we could stop this ridiculous roundabout discussion on whether or not there truly is an imbalance. UWE has in the past thrown figures around when balance was 'perfect', they haven't in a very long time which only feeds the assumption that the numbers aren't anything worth bragging about.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members

...and of course they don't balance off of combat mod... do you really think they are that stupid?

So if what you said was true then none of us can complain about the ratios and changes since we don’t actually know the ratios.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Pretty sure all of the KKG servers aren't running the mod for it. I've played on several of them and I think only #2 actually reports. I know this cause I looked myself up after playing on a number of KKG servers and only a few games ever showed up, and those ones were all on the same server. So it's probably accurate, if the site hasn't gotten the data it's either a problem with the mod or a problem with the servers. My guess is it's the mod because those times are all around when the patches were released so they probably didn't get the latest version for stats.
    edited February 2013
    Pretty sure all of the KKG servers aren't running the mod for it. I've played on several of them and I think only #2 actually reports. I know this cause I looked myself up after playing on a number of KKG servers and only a few games ever showed up, and those ones were all on the same server. So it's probably accurate, if the site hasn't gotten the data it's either a problem with the mod or a problem with the servers. My guess is it's the mod because those times are all around when the patches were released so they probably didn't get the latest version for stats.

I don't know for sure if they're reporting or not (ns2stats is down), but every kkg server appears to have the latest version of ns2stats enabled. Sometimes servers report multiple servers under the same server name on ns2stats.