Performace of this game

malthusmalthus Join Date: 2012-07-28 Member: 154399Members
I'd like to start by saying you have created a really good game. but most people dont come to the forums to voice a well done and I'm sadly another one of them.

there's at least 2-3 threads a day about performance and i really think it's going to be a major buzz kill for the long term of ns2. now I've overclocked my system to the max(as far as im willing to go) and this is the only game i dont get a flat 120 fps in. i had oc'ed to 4.3ghz(i pushed it to 5 for ns2). i've also turned off most lighting effects and extra settings to push it as much as i can. i believe i have it smooth enough. however now i'm noticing a few other things

i can tell by watching players, that there are alot of people getting very low fps(im talking xbox level fps). I'm also starting to think that server updates from client to server are reliant on client fps. 1 client update per 1 fps(rather then say a flat 30 per person(other games)). If this is the case, it would be the reason why most people are reporting bad rego(add me to the pile of people). i'm seeing blood with a hit, but no damage with draw damage on. to be fair i've also seen a few people i've been shooting die around a corner(50 ping).

i also don't understand how ns1 required soo little cpu power to run smoothly. yet ns2 requires soo much power to run much the same game with a few extra things. dynamic lighting?

I'm no expert with computers, but i know my system is good enough to run every game but this one at 120 fps, and i know im not alone in this. bad performance and rego should be #1 on the list of features, not a new map.

Comments

• ShEpShEp Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72597Members
    "there's at least 2-3 threads a day about performance"

So you thought it'd be a great idea to make a new one?
  • semihandysemihandy Florida Join Date: 2012-05-24 Member: 152537Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Silver
    malthus wrote: »
    i also don't understand how ns1 required soo little cpu power to run smoothly. yet ns2 requires soo much power to run much the same game with a few extra things. dynamic lighting?

NS1 used the Half-Life engine, which was made in what, 1998? Don't quote me on that, but by the time NS1 came out, the engine was super old. It was also very well optimized. NS2, on the other hand, is running on a custom engine (Spark) built by UWE, and it is pretty damn new. I'm sure performance is something that UWE is very concerned about, and I'm sure things will improve as more work goes into optimizing the engine, and the game code that runs in lua.
  • starhunkstarhunk Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182636Members
    my quad cpu is OCed to 4.2 and i have no trouble with max settings, perhaps it's your video card or ram