If the game is imbalanced, why are you adding new content?

FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
Not that I'm complaining about getting new guns/structures/maps, but I am curious behind the logic of implementing new things when the game is "broken".
Well, depending on who you talk to that is.

If the forums are to be believed, the marines lose 9999/10000 games, mines are OP, Exos suck, ARCs are imba, and whips are too cheap.

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It's not unbalanced, exos and sentries suck, but in-spite of that, the game is balanced.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    The game is not balanced.

When the aliens win, it's usually a super long game because they have no real way to break a turtle/siege the enemy(Bile Bomb doesn't count).
    When the marines win, it's usually a steamroll with the Exo+ARC Train with Jp/Flamer ball of death rolling around the map.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    maybe in adding new things they aim to balance the game better. Afterall if the game didnt have exos or arcs in it at all, the gmae would be even harder to blaance without the inclusion of new content (exos arcs) maybe what the marines are missing is something new as opposed to tweaking the existing content which hasnt really been working up until now.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    I always assumed adding new content gives more life to the game. And I think they're trying to do both at the same time. More content is good in the sense that we get new toys that could possible shift balance and besides we all know that content patch will contain more than just exo railguns and gorge tunnels/babblers. We'll probably get more cool new features and game play changes. Besides 238 is around the corner and we do not really know the full change log yet. So it seems they can cater to both sides a bit. And mappers get more assets to play with so custom maps can look a bit unique.
    edited January 2013
    maybe in adding new things they aim to balance the game better. Afterall if the game didnt have exos or arcs in it at all, the gmae would be even harder to blaance without the inclusion of new content (exos arcs) maybe what the marines are missing is something new as opposed to tweaking the existing content which hasnt really been working up until now.
    That was my thought too, but unless we get some input from the guys at UWE all we can do is guess at the motives.

For all we know, the additions could be because "They look cool."

I always assumed adding new content gives more life to the game. And I think they're trying to do both at the same time. More content is good in the sense that we get new toys that could possible shift balance and besides we all know that content patch will contain more than just exo railguns and gorge tunnels/babblers. We'll probably get more cool new features and game play changes. Besides 238 is around the corner and we do not really know the full change log yet. So it seems they can cater to both sides a bit. And mappers get more assets to play with so custom maps can look a bit unique.

New life to a game that's less than 6 months old?
    The new content they're adding is stuff that they wanted in at launch.

Honestly, this game could have sat in beta for another few months and it would have made a world of difference.
    But, there was/is a lot of people whining about how long it did take them to release the game anyways.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Not that I'm complaining about getting new guns/structures/maps, but I am curious behind the logic of implementing new things when the game is "broken".

If the forums are to be believed, the marines lose 9999/10000 games, mines are OP, Exos suck, ARCs are imba, and whips are too cheap.

Adding new things can actually HELP balance a game. I don't know if that will be the case here, I'm just saying.

When the aliens win, it's usually a super long game because they have no real way to break a turtle/siege the enemy(Bile Bomb doesn't count).
    When the marines win, it's usually a steamroll with the Exo+ARC Train with Jp/Flamer ball of death rolling around the map.

>Bile Bomb doesn't count

Nevermind. Mods, you can lock this one.

Adding new things can actually HELP balance a game. I don't know if that will be the case here, I'm just saying.

>Bile Bomb doesn't count

Nevermind. Mods, you can lock this one.

Don't get me wrong, bile bomb is great, but it's not a turtle ending ability, not versus semi-decent marines.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter

Lmao, you can't they have no way to counter turtling, if you remove the counter. And sure, if you push the game to the 35 minute mark then sure, marines are going to roll out an arc train, what do you want to do, put a cap on the number of arcs? End the game earlier like you should have.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

Lmao, you can't they have no way to counter turtling, if you remove the counter. And sure, if you push the game to the 35 minute mark then sure, marines are going to roll out an arc train, what do you want to do, put a cap on the number of arcs? End the game earlier like you should have.

It's sad that Bile Bomb does more damage to buildings than an onos does.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    edited January 2013
    I found the topic title to be hilarious.
    Why are they adding new content if the game is imbalanced?
    I don't know, why does Obama want gun control if the Russian's were the first in space?

I see some people didn't quite understand, and decided to shout troll rather than think for a moment.
    The point is that new content and balance tweaks are COMPLETELY UNRELATED. You might as well ask them how they can make map changes while the skulk wall jump is still bad, or something to that affect. There is a production pipeline in place for new content, a pipeline which is almost 100% unaffected by the conception and formulation of balance tweaks.
  • rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
    You could hire a 1000 man team of balancing experts comprised of world renown psychologists, doctors, think tank experts, professional gamers, Jesus and Steven Bonnell and the very next day on these forums you would see: "Gorge too slow", "Blink moves too fast" etc etc etc

I come from the CS community and jesus christ if there is a group more worried about balance it's those guys. OMG spray on the m4 is now an inch higher GAME RUINED.

The reality of NS2 is that it is quite balanced. The game is in great shape and besides the occasional nudge of balancing values, they should and will focus on new content. New content makes the game fun to play and brings in new players.
    |strofix| wrote: »
    I found the topic title to be hilarious.
    Why are they adding new content if the game is imbalanced?
    I don't know, why does Obama want gun control if the Russian's were the first in space?

One of these things is not like the others.
    rmbrown09 wrote: »
    You could hire a 1000 man team of balancing experts comprised of world renown psychologists, doctors, think tank experts, professional gamers, Jesus and Steven Bonnell and the very next day on these forums you would see: "Gorge too slow", "Blink moves too fast" etc etc etc
    Yeah, but that's the story with any game.
    I come from the CS community and jesus christ if there is a group more worried about balance it's those guys. OMG spray on the m4 is now an inch higher GAME RUINED.

The reality of NS2 is that it is quite balanced. The game is in great shape and besides the occasional nudge of balancing values, they should and will focus on new content. New content makes the game fun to play and brings in new players.

New content doesn't really bring in new players, except in the case of games like World of Warcraft.
    In FPS games, new maps* don't really bring in new players.

*Most games these days charge for new maps, so it ends up being the old players that pick them up, you know, because they like the game.

Warning anecdotal evidence:
    In my experience(~100 hours played since mid-december), the game is not balanced.
    Playing as a marine commander is boring, at best.

You have one strategy.
    Get Phase, and Rush JPs, GG.

The aliens seem to be stuck on "shift first", which admittedly is pretty great(Aggressive spawn points).
    Admittedly, you can go crag or shade first, but shift is so far above either of those two that it's not even worth it most of the time(map/server size depending).
    I'm not even talking about celerity, which is pretty awful(except at the early game).
    The point is that new content and balance tweaks are COMPLETELY UNRELATED.
    Really?
    Adding in new things that will change the balance have nothing to do with balance.
    It's sad that Bile Bomb does more damage to buildings than an onos does.

Wut, that's exactly what bile bomb was made to do, it SHOULD do more damage than an onos does to buildings. Onos aren't meant to destroy buildings, they're meant to tank and allow pushes to be possible so that other life forms can do their jobs.
    If onos aren't meant to destroy buildings, why do they do double damage to buildings?
    Firstly they don't, they actually do 1:1 damage to buildings where normal attacks do 1:2 because of armor (onos uses a heavy attack). Secondly, just because they CAN destroy buildings, doesn't mean that's their main purpose.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    The point is that new content and balance tweaks are COMPLETELY UNRELATED.
    Really?
    Adding in new things that will change the balance have nothing to do with balance.

So its like 3 months after release, new content is due, and you want to make balance changes based on content that will soon change? So what, balance the current version of the game, then rebalance it in a month when new things are added? Sounds expedient.

• HalfcentaurHalfcentaur Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182612Members
    They add more content because that's usually what you do with a video game. You continue tweaking and improving and adding content to make it as new and fresh as possible for as long as possible. You gotta keep customers interested. If you don't change anything, people will get bored really quickly.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    New content is important for all its own reasons. And if major new features are coming then it's probably smarter to put more effort into balancing the game with them than without them. At least I sure hope UWE has big balance changes going alongside 239 since aliens are clearly getting the better end of the bargain from what we know so far(exo railguns vs tunnels and babblers).
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Something tells me the new content is just going to make the balance situation even more dire, that is unless marines are receiving some major tweaks that they haven't talked about yet. (Or aliens are receiving some big changes to their economy model)
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester

Don't believe the forums.

I don't get your point. If the game is already unbalanced why would one stop adding content? If it's already in a poor state, new content won't make things worse, they might even make things better. Also, imagine if the game was perfectly balanced, would that be a better time to add content that could potentially shift balance again? Anyway, I don't see balance as a reason to ever stop adding content.

Don't believe this message.

• DysfunctionalDysfunctional Join Date: 2003-06-06 Member: 17055Members
    Between the player skill disparity and wide range of computer hardware used to play the game, it will never be balanced in actual play, even if it is completely balanced at the core. Until everyone is capable of aiming in the exact same way and all use the exact same computers and internet, what you want is impossible. Therefore, there is absolutely no reason to withhold content updates.

Perceived imbalance isn't a good reason to do or not do something simply because the perception changes from person to person.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It's not unbalanced, exos and sentries suck, but in-spite of that, the game is balanced.

The almost 70% alien winrate on ns2stats in competitive play says otherwise. Which should be alarming considering that is when Marines are potentially being played at their best.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    What makes you think they're working on new features instead of balancing? One does not exclude the other and it's pretty likely they're playtesting and tweaking the new features to be balanced I think you would agree.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members

The forums are usually the vocal minority, and I've read a lot of your personal complaints about balance and it's always in favor of nerfing marines. It's hard to take you serious with a stance like that.

I'd also dare say that not adding content is a great way to scorn your community and playerbase. Not everyone's boxers get a dark moist spot in the front reading "Skulk armor adjusted to 15". People cream their jeans when they see NEW LIFEFORM.

Also, balance is a never ending task that won't ever be quite right. Balance can get damn close but nothing is ever perfect. It's better to adapt to the things you feel are overpowered and master the things you feel are weak. Naturally Select'd
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Whereas the game is a bit imbalanced at the moment (to what degree could be argued almost indefinitely), the fact is that balance isn't the only problem that ns2 suffers from at the moment (although that's not to say that I don't enjoy the game more than most others). One particular problem is a lack of diversity in strategy, which new features could help resolve, as well as with many other things (e.g. the upcoming gorge tunnels addressing the counterintuitive map-mobility disadvantage aliens have as marines are able to respond to threats quicker due to phase gates and beacon). Whilst new features may throw the balance off a bit initially, it still is still welcome in order for the game to expand and get better.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Locklear wrote: »

The almost 70% alien winrate on ns2stats in competitive play says otherwise. Which should be alarming considering that is when Marines are potentially being played at their best.

He has a point too, but it should be noted that it is NORMAL for aliens to have an edge on marines in comp play. NS1 was the same situation. 70% is not normal, however. I'd say 55% maybe %60 would be acceptable.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Locklear wrote: »

He has a point too, but it should be noted that it is NORMAL for aliens to have an edge on marines in comp play. NS1 was the same situation. 70% is not normal, however. I'd say 55% maybe %60 would be acceptable.

What part of that is acceptable? If NS1 wasn't balanced either then it's NS2's job to do it better.
    If you understand a few things about the game and the competitive nature, it is normal. It's normal because it's vastly easier to play aliens. Now match that ease of play with talented players and they're even more ridiculous. Marines can have moments like that too, but generally, aiming and shooting is more difficult than ambushing. This boils down to less talented pub players not utilizing the strengths of the aliens to their full extent resulting in a closer game, and more balanced gameplay. People are right, you should balance for the top, then down, but the problem you end up with then is a slightly skewed competitive game.

I remember back in NS1 how alien was the low pressure round, and marine was the get your act together round very well. I don't see this being a problem.

You'll never have a 50/50 split in a game that has one team relying on closing the distance, and the other team relying on distance killing. Ever. Too many factors, and the fact the game is asymmetrically balanced. I think there's a few "frustrating" elements of alien play that need to be brought in line, and when they are, and the netcode is improved, or whatever it is that's causing terrible hitreg, we will have a more balanced game. Until then, I will say what I've said in another thread.

Master the weaker elements and adapt to the stronger.

The forums are usually the vocal minority, and I've read a lot of your personal complaints about balance and it's always in favor of nerfing marines. It's hard to take you serious with a stance like that.
    Considering you replied to my one suggestion thread regarding NS2, which was arguably a nerf for aliens, your statement is a fallacy at best.

I agree that forums are usually the vocal minority, but the forums are usually also the people that actually care.
    I'd also dare say that not adding content is a great way to scorn your community and playerbase. Not everyone's boxers get a dark moist spot in the front reading "Skulk armor adjusted to 15". People cream their jeans when they see NEW LIFEFORM.

Also, balance is a never ending task that won't ever be quite right. Balance can get damn close but nothing is ever perfect. It's better to adapt to the things you feel are overpowered and master the things you feel are weak. Naturally Select'd

I agree.

I just wanted to spur some discussion that wasn't about how badly the game runs.