i can't believe this is still a problem

schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
<div class="IPBDescription">ns2 was released ages ago and this is a major issue</div>this is a HUGE issue for pub play, and it has a very easy fix.

matches start way too early which results in:

not all players have had time to join

teams aren't even at the start

commander has no time discuss strategy with the team

people afk in the ready room.

its simply impossible to have a fair match atm.

/rant

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    What I've said it in the past 3 threads on the matter:

Sit Tight.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2066871:date=Jan 25 2013, 09:51 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jan 25 2013, 09:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066871"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What I've said it in the past 3 threads on the matter:

Sit Tight.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can only wear so many pairs of hot pants.
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    Looking forward to this change :) too many matches go on for 20-30 mins after a 3v4 start and one team (marines) being on the back foot from the start
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Is it the kind of addition that requires secrecy around its future implementation or can "sit tight" and "it is known" be replaced with "we're going to adjust this for next patch"?
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    jow, rlx suxx, an other big reason why i am not playing pub atm :/
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2066950:date=Jan 26 2013, 10:54 AM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Jan 26 2013, 10:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066950"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is it the kind of addition that requires secrecy around its future implementation or can "sit tight" and "it is known" be replaced with "we're going to adjust this for next patch"?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    maybe :P
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    No secrecy, there is an implementation to address this issue, and it is in the testing phase. As far as I know it should be in either the next patch or the one after.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2067089:date=Jan 26 2013, 01:50 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jan 26 2013, 01:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067089"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No secrecy, there is an implementation to address this issue, and it is in the testing phase. As far as I know it should be in either the next patch or the one after.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<3
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2066950:date=Jan 26 2013, 02:54 AM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Jan 26 2013, 02:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066950"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is it the kind of addition that requires secrecy around its future implementation or can "sit tight" and "it is known" be replaced with "we're going to adjust this for next patch"?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Most of the time it isn't secrecy as much as it isn't finalized. There is little point in us PTs (or UWE) getting peoples hopes up talking about cool new experimental feature X if it isn't going to be released or released soon. UWE has regularly tried different features or implementations in the PT builds that never make it to the public build because of various issues that were found.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Not to mention where the NDA boundaries begin and end with regards to giving info on bug fixes is gray, but future features and plans of uwe are very clear and concrete.

I.e. I'll always let you know what's going on with bugs.. but anything else needs to come from a developer's mouth first typically, (or I get permission) so you might occasionally find a pt being cryptic or vague.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The NDA said nothing about trolling and teasing though :P
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2067165:date=Jan 26 2013, 05:21 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jan 26 2013, 05:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most of the time it isn't secrecy as much as it isn't finalized. There is little point in us PTs (or UWE) getting peoples hopes up talking about cool new experimental feature X if it isn't going to be released or released soon. UWE has regularly tried different features or implementations in the PT builds that never make it to the public build because of various issues that were found.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah this is deeply set in human psychology - loss aversion. Thinking you will get a feature, then not, makes people far more mad than its worth by informing them of the possibility. Bioware and CCP forums both had dev's talking about features very early on, and then getting massive rage threads when the plans changed. Now the dev's talk far less about game issues (or in Biowares case, almost not at all).
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2067089:date=Jan 27 2013, 05:50 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jan 27 2013, 05:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067089"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No secrecy, there is an implementation to address this issue, and it is in the testing phase. As far as I know it should be in either the next patch or the one after.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

all you have to do is to make the players wait for 3 min before the 1st round starts. Is it really that hard? 3 min is plenty for people to finish loading the map.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Dudes, does Kouji's sig ever change?

Honestly, this is the most important question ever asked in the UWE forums.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Yeah I realise information can be sensitive. I was just curious if something like that fell under that category because I would have thought it'd be a very quick amendment. Anyway, my question has been answered!
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    We are running an 45sec timer since ages and it works pretty well.