Alien Ability Upgrades(Idea)

FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
edited January 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Why not make the ability upgrades structures?

Ie: Spore, Leap, Bile Bomb, and Blink become placeable structures.
If you lose them, any new Lerk/Gorge/Fade can no longer make use of those abilities.

They'd be like a Spur/Shell/Veil, but related to one ability.

Current Tech point control/number of hives still stands.

Comments

• MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    Can I ask what the reason is for this suggestion?

I mean if those upgrades are still controlled by the number of hives, what's the point other than making them susceptible to being killed off my lone marines who wander into your hive looking for upgrades?

Or are you one of these lone rangers?
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    They are already like that, that structure is called hive.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066467:date=Jan 25 2013, 09:33 AM:name=MiniH0wie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiniH0wie @ Jan 25 2013, 09:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066467"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can I ask what the reason is for this suggestion?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Balance.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I mean if those upgrades are still controlled by the number of hives, what's the point other than making them susceptible to being killed off my lone marines who wander into your hive looking for upgrades?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's precisely the reason why I think it's a good idea.

Adds another layer of strategy to the game.
    Plus:
    A lone gorge/skulk/lerk can take out a protolab, and stop marines from getting jetpacks.
    I figure why not give the aliens a weakness too.

Plus, it'd allow the aliens to keep their upgrades if they lost a hive, instead of having weak(er) evolutions.
    It'd make the game less one-sided for both sides.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or are you one of these lone rangers?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I comm both sides most of the time.
    <!--quoteo(post=2066642:date=Jan 25 2013, 03:03 PM:name=Frothybeverage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frothybeverage @ Jan 25 2013, 03:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066642"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Balance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not really needed, aliens already have a harder time keeping their upgrades alive.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's precisely the reason why I think it's a good idea.

Adds another layer of strategy to the game.
    Plus:
    A lone gorge/skulk/lerk can take out a protolab, and stop marines from getting jetpacks.
    I figure why not give the aliens a weakness too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's much harder for any alien to take out marine structures whether it be a proto or arms lab. I can take out alien upgrades with a shotty pretty dang quick compared to trying to chomp down a protolab. Gorge has a better chance as long as nobody sees him, else he's dead if he's all by himself.

It's pretty rare to see marines losing their upgrades to a lone alien.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Plus, it'd allow the aliens to keep their upgrades if they lost a hive, instead of having weak(er) evolutions.
    It'd make the game less one-sided for both sides.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This would be the only reason I might consider it but it would only work if aliens had those upgrades at a hive location that didn't get killed. Because if say aliens had a blink structure at hive 2 and hive 2 gets killed, well sure you still have blink but only until the marines clear out the rest of your structures in that location.

So would your suggestion allow aliens to be able to rebuild their blink structure at hive 1 or is it completely gone now that hive 2 is lost?
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066437:date=Jan 25 2013, 11:00 AM:name=Frothybeverage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frothybeverage @ Jan 25 2013, 11:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066437"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not make the ability upgrades structures?

Ie: Spore, Leap, Bile Bomb, and Blink become placeable structures.
    If you lose them, any new Lerk/Gorge/Fade can no longer make use of those abilities.

They'd be like a Spur/Shell/Veil, but related to one ability.

Current Tech point control/number of hives still stands.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not a good idea, we already have too many buildings for stuff we don't need, remember this game isn't an RTS. It's an FPS first and an rts second.

PS: Hive
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066665:date=Jan 25 2013, 01:40 PM:name=MiniH0wie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiniH0wie @ Jan 25 2013, 01:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066665"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not really needed, aliens already have a harder time keeping their upgrades alive.

It's much harder for any alien to take out marine structures whether it be a proto or arms lab. I can take out alien upgrades with a shotty pretty dang quick compared to trying to chomp down a protolab. Gorge has a better chance as long as nobody sees him, else he's dead if he's all by himself.

It's pretty rare to see marines losing their upgrades to a lone alien.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Aliens win 60% of the time.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This would be the only reason I might consider it but it would only work if aliens had those upgrades at a hive location that didn't get killed. Because if say aliens had a blink structure at hive 2 and hive 2 gets killed, well sure you still have blink but only until the marines clear out the rest of your structures in that location.

So would your suggestion allow aliens to be able to rebuild their blink structure at hive 1 or is it completely gone now that hive 2 is lost?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, you can build multiple Celerity Spurs, so why couldn't you build more Blink thingies?

<!--quoteo(post=2066760:date=Jan 25 2013, 04:00 PM:name=CommunistWithAGun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CommunistWithAGun @ Jan 25 2013, 04:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066760"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not a good idea, we already have too many buildings for stuff we don't need, remember this game isn't an RTS. It's an FPS first and an rts second.

PS: Hive<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How does having another structure make it less of an FPS?

What superfluous buildings are there?
    If they did this, they could buff ink to what it was before.
    <!--quoteo(post=2066792:date=Jan 25 2013, 07:15 PM:name=Frothybeverage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frothybeverage @ Jan 25 2013, 07:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066792"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens win 60% of the time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So what, Marines used to win 60% before and we didn't have these extra structures. What's your point?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, you can build multiple Celerity Spurs, so why couldn't you build more Blink thingies?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah but will it work just like JP & Exo's? If marines lose 2nd chair they still have their proto but you can't buy anything.
    Because if marines kill 2nd hive and aliens are still able to use bile, blink, etc even after they die you'll have people complaining about that.