Phase gate priority system

CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
Make it so phase gates take you to a phase gate that is under attack first, then when none are under attack, whatever phase gate was built most recently.

Comments

• Sgt. PeppersSgt. Peppers Join Date: 2011-02-07 Member: 80793Members
    I have another ideia, create a menu that asks witch phase gate you wanna go.
    For exemplo, when you step on the phase gate opens a window:
    Press:
    1 - Repair Room
    2 - Pilot Drill
    3 - Cave

etc...
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I like the idea of a phase priority system but what happens when multiple phases are under attack? Maybe prioritize the one with the lowest health?

<!--quoteo(post=2066460:date=Jan 25 2013, 12:27 PM:name=Sgt. Peppers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sgt. Peppers @ Jan 25 2013, 12:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have another ideia, create a menu that asks witch phase gate you wanna go.
    Press:
    1 - Repair Room
    2 - Pilot Drill
    3 - Cave

etc...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think another menu is the answer. When the comm is shouting at everyone to go through the phase, it's hard enough to get people to take the phase once, making it more complicated by tossing in another menu isn't the best idea.

That being said, if there was a menu for the comm to set priority to a certain gate over another, that could be interesting. So the comm could re-order the phase sequence at will if he desires. Perhaps with a cooldown and a time taken to re-order them, say 3-5 seconds re-order time and 30 second cooldown.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2066394:date=Jan 25 2013, 09:22 AM:name=CommunistWithAGun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CommunistWithAGun @ Jan 25 2013, 09:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066394"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make it so phase gates take you to a phase gate that is under attack first, then when none are under attack, whatever phase gate was built most recently.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What if I don't want to instadie by stepping into obviously lost phasgate and be useful somewhere else?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd prefer something like this
    - You can open your minimap and select your preferred PG destination from the available ones
    - No matter which PG you enter, you always go to your preferred PG destination (if still valid)
    - If its not valid, it either defaults to the standard rotation or goes to the comms designated PG
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2066492:date=Jan 25 2013, 12:56 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jan 25 2013, 12:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066492"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd prefer something like this
    - You can open your minimap and select your preferred PG destination from the available ones
    - No matter which PG you enter, you always go to your preferred PG destination (if still valid)
    - If its not valid, it either defaults to the standard rotation or goes to the comms designated PG<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's an idea. Eliminates the need for a separate menu and is quick and clean.

Something else to consider: The currently mostly useless "Ping Map" option. What if either players or the comm could use this to control PG flow?

For instance, If a player pings a room with a phase gate, the next one player to phase through a gate automatically goes there, unless they are phasing from there. There's already a cool down on the ping option so it will cut back on abuse/spamming. And something like this would allow players to directly aid in the flow of reinforcements. Say, someone has just set up a phase in a new base and wants backup stat. They ping their room and the next person to phase goes right there. Voila, reinforcements.

And/or:
    If a commander pings the map in a room with a phase gate, either the next <number> of phases or all phases within the next 30 seconds will go there, unless coming from there.
    So like if a ninja gate is set up, rather than having to beacon, then trust everyone to file through the phase gate chain to get to the right one, comm would simply ping the ninja phase room and say, "Take the nearest phase gate."
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066477:date=Jan 25 2013, 11:43 AM:name=xen32)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xen32 @ Jan 25 2013, 11:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066477"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What if I don't want to instadie by stepping into obviously lost phasgate and be useful somewhere else?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Have a threshhold of 10% life. otherwise there's a slim chance of saving it, and solider, you're going through that portal, because even though you may die, your corpse will provide enough distraction to possibly save it. Im ok with that.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited January 2013
    This is a <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=114580" target="_blank">cohesive system</a> which I came up with back in August of 2011.

(For phase gates)
  • Warrior JWarrior J Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172431Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    isnt the current phasegate system a way of limiting phasegate spam?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Simple, look in the direction you want to go, hit "use key" and teleport to the nearest PG in that direction.
    It is not likely to function with a door PG model. But the old one from NS1 would do the trick.
    You can enhance with the names of location around/on the phase gate.

Simple, faster than menu, doable with current engine.
  • Arkahm719Arkahm719 Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151988Members
    Or just let the comm use a numbering system to the phase gates, and maybe put a number hologram above each pg so marines and comm know which one goes where, 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 etc...

let the comm change it on the fly if he needs but, in all reality the phasegates at most are like 4-5 I dont think ive seen six, and phasing through only take a second, is it that important.

but i think a numbering idea might be best or like the comm can click on one and right click on the other like a waypoint system and that determines what gate goes where
  • ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066460:date=Jan 25 2013, 09:27 AM:name=Sgt. Peppers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sgt. Peppers @ Jan 25 2013, 09:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have another ideia, create a menu that asks witch phase gate you wanna go.
    Press:
    1 - Repair Room
    2 - Pilot Drill
    3 - Cave

etc...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that is the best idea here. Phasing to the lowest health phase gate or comm changing the phase gate channel is too complicated.

For this idea, all you have to do is stand on the phase gate and press a number. Next to those numbers will be the names of their destination. Number of phase gates however is limited to 10, but I doubt the marines will have 10 phase gates anyway.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    edited January 2013
    Sorry. Any idea outside of the current system is terrible.

Commanders should be punished for having too many phase gates. Marines should be aware enough to know the gate order and what is necessary to traverse from Point A to Point D. Any slow down from a long gate order or lack of planning from properly anticipating the time is the fault of the team and/or commander. Phase gate placement and use is a strategic part of the game. Dumbing that down for people who don't realize that aspect is asinine.

Finally, mid-late game where Marines are doing OK to good, a commander with 3 well placed Phase Gates can effectively guard every RT he has with 1-2 marines.

'Selectable' phase gates has the potential to nerf any and all pressure aliens exert on the Marine back lines, increasing the already existing problem of Marine turtling and severely narrowing the mid-late game for Aliens to "rush a base, hopefully win the engagement." as they can no longer constantly divert serious attention by consistently hitting RTs before Marines can respond.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066472:date=Jan 25 2013, 12:37 PM:name=Calego)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Calego @ Jan 25 2013, 12:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like the idea of a phase priority system but what happens when multiple phases are under attack? Maybe prioritize the one with the lowest health?

I don't think another menu is the answer. When the comm is shouting at everyone to go through the phase, it's hard enough to get people to take the phase once, making it more complicated by tossing in another menu isn't the best idea.

That being said, if there was a menu for the comm to set priority to a certain gate over another, that could be interesting. So the comm could re-order the phase sequence at will if he desires. Perhaps with a cooldown and a time taken to re-order them, say 3-5 seconds re-order time and 30 second cooldown.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or at minimum click on a gate and make it the "priority gate" so mariens at any other gates will go there first, then you don't need a menu.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2067516:date=Jan 28 2013, 05:45 AM:name=Omar - The Wire)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omar - The Wire @ Jan 28 2013, 05:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067516"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry. Any idea outside of the current system is terrible.

Commanders should be punished for having too many phase gates.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I tend to agree with all of this. Despite having an <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=126818" target="_blank">idea</a> a few weeks ago that was different. I've been in a few games where rines have had too many gates and really the answer is to reduce the number to just keep the most important ones.

Marines being able to chose their destination would be a huge buff. It would need to be balanced with say a ridiculous cool down on phase cool downs between marines. Either way, I think current system is more balanced.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    a phase destination suggestion comes up like every week, i'm surprised they haven't put one in!

they are all good usually too.

my favourite one is that the phase gate particle effect field thingy gets divided into sections as more phase gates get built, and when you walk through a phase gate you teleport to which ever section your crosshair was aiming at the time of walking through. (i can't remember who came up with this idea, but its great!)
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sewleks 3d menu would make this "pick-a-gate" option pretty useful.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Sorry. Any idea outside of the current system is terrible.

Commanders should be punished for having too many phase gates. Marines should be aware enough to know the gate order and what is necessary to traverse from Point A to Point D. Any slow down from a long gate order or lack of planning from properly anticipating the time is the fault of the team and/or commander. Phase gate placement and use is a strategic part of the game. Dumbing that down for people who don't realize that aspect is asinine.

Finally, mid-late game where Marines are doing OK to good, a commander with 3 well placed Phase Gates can effectively guard every RT he has with 1-2 marines.

'Selectable' phase gates has the potential to nerf any and all pressure aliens exert on the Marine back lines, increasing the already existing problem of Marine turtling and severely narrowing the mid-late game for Aliens to "rush a base, hopefully win the engagement." as they can no longer constantly divert serious attention by consistently hitting RTs before Marines can respond.

There should be no punishment for commanders in lieu of some imagined sweet-spot number of phase gates. The cycling mechanic, while having an effect on gameplay (as all things in game actually do), is not a balancing feature, and never was, it simply is how phase gates were implemented, and because they have not been revisited by the devs since there are more pressing issues; like perfomance, game bugs, balancing, and new features.

As for 3 phase gates being used to guard a map of extractors? Sure, technically I could make the same argument with 2 pgs since you have no tangible reasoning for the statement. Marine map response is purely a distance mechanic. Think of it in that fashion. Distance = travel time, greater distances require more time, 3 pgs would have a lower average response time for marines to save extractors than 2 pgs, but less than 4. Is 3 the magic number? Given maps have different sizes, games have different flows between competitive and the incredible variety of public play, different play styles and tactics? You see where I am going with this.

Also, based on map pressure, and phase gate build order (and other reasons I have not considered), every game will have a luck factor based on the cycling amounts marines have to go through for that round (on average). For example, in a game with 3 phase gates, if throughout the game the majority of team phasing used only one phase transfer instead of two, the team's response over all would be faster than in a game that just so happened to have an average requiring 2 phase gate jumps (now factor in phase fails, games with more than 3 phase gates, and you start to see your team phasing less as a group, and more individually, further weakening a response, and increasing time required). A mechanic for phasegate control would eliminate this irregularity, and allow the game to be played more as the players intend with less random variance.

Anyways, just the viewpoints of someone who's played the game quite a bit.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Commanders should just recycle feedgates. Marines should lose a gate that is surrounded anyways.. Marines need to be more map aware and not let a gate get surrounded if they want to keep it. This feature isn't really needed.
  • rook2pawnrook2pawn Join Date: 2008-07-03 Member: 64552Members
    phase gates are not a priority in the scheme of balance or anything. Any improvements on Phase gates, phase gate interaction, phase gate cycling/mechanics/User interface are going to be just an incremental improvement. As Kalabalana said, this is not about balance.

But this is also not a "fix" because there's currently nothing really broken about it either. And people aren't complaining about it much.

Thus, I don't think its high priority to address it and this entire issue is largely irrelevant.