Annoying celerity sound effect

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2066560:date=Jan 26 2013, 06:17 AM:name=Sharp-Shooter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sharp-Shooter @ Jan 26 2013, 06:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066560"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey guys I made a video to show you what me, and many others are talking about
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJA6FEWwrgM&feature=youtu.be" target="_blank">Celerity before and after</a>

put on your headphones turn up the volume<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ha! HAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh wow, some people hear that? Not in my game sir, and no I don't want it.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066560:date=Jan 25 2013, 02:17 PM:name=Sharp-Shooter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sharp-Shooter @ Jan 25 2013, 02:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066560"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey guys I made a video to show you what me, and many others are talking about
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJA6FEWwrgM&feature=youtu.be" target="_blank">Celerity before and after</a>

I notice it now. I guess I never noticed it before because I can still easily pickout marine footsteps/shootings with it going, also the fact that there isn't much flat out running in this game from place to place... usually hitting other buttons which stops the sound. Like another poster said, while you are running, just tap shift and it stops the sound.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    That is a strange sound. I don't remember hearing it either. In what build was it introduced?

Maybe your sound card or sound settings affect this...
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    I get that sound allright...but it never bothers me.
    Makes perfect sense, aliens have ear-things, and moving fast through air creates the turbulence around those ears.
    If it bothers you, try lowering your bass-sound a little.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Indeed, it's horrible. Its removal is part of the very first set of changes in <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=125969" target="_blank">Better NS2</a>.

<!--QuoteBegin-lwf+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lwf)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->There are many effects in the game, especially for aliens, and most work quite well. For example, regen, cloak, blink and gorge spit are all more or less intrusive but all have in common that they are used in short bursts. Not so with celerity. Once you have celerity, which is pretty popular to get early, it's quite likely you will be using it for the rest of the game and not in short activated bursts, but really <i>all the time</i>. That means a blurry screen and a whooshing sound <i>all the time</i>. It's also not the kind of ability that you gain anything from being informed that it's active, so it truly adds nothing but a headache to the table. If celerity was like marine running, which is an activated ability used in short bursts it could have worked but not like this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • SkackySkacky Join Date: 2005-06-05 Member: 53189Members
    Wow. Until you pointed this out I never noticed the wind tunnel sound.
  • Cat-PokerCat-Poker Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156670Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066439:date=Jan 25 2013, 11:01 AM:name=Roobubba)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Roobubba @ Jan 25 2013, 11:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066439"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought the point of it wasn't to alert marines, but to obstruct your own hearing a bit when travelling fast? That's its major effect, as far as I can tell.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I as well thought it was just one of the tradeoffs to it's use.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2066594:date=Jan 25 2013, 12:50 PM:name=Skacky)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skacky @ Jan 25 2013, 12:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066594"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow. Until you pointed this out I never noticed the wind tunnel sound.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You will never be able to unhear it. On headphones for me it is so loud I cannot hear my teammates talking on voice chat. Often times it will bug and continue to play even though I am not moving. It drives me insane.
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    My celerity tunnel sound is pretty loud too, very annoying TBH.
    Hearing is one of my greatest weapons in these games, it shouldn't be hindered so much by an "upgrade".

For the record:

Headphones: Sennheiser PC360
    Soundcard: Asus Xonar DX

I have no blur effects though (my motion blur is turned off, maybe that's why).
    <!--quoteo(post=2066598:date=Jan 25 2013, 02:52 PM:name=Industry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Industry @ Jan 25 2013, 02:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066598"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You will never be able to unhear it. On headphones for me it is so loud I cannot hear my teammates talking on voice chat. Often times it will bug and continue to play even though I am not moving. It drives me insane.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

wierd that it drowns out other sounds for you. For me it is barely noticeable over the other in-game sounds or voice.

I just use the soundcard built into my motherboard. I have 2 speakers with my cheap $25 headphones plugged into the speakers.

Perhaps it is a hardware/sound configuration setup that causes it.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can't hear a goddamn thing over the celerity noise. It's damn near as loud as an LMG going off 5 feet away. I pick adrenaline for my skulk when I can because of it. The only class I'll always use celerity on is a regen lerk.

Sennheiser HD 280 headphones, don't think i have a sound card.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    yeah uh, I don't hear that. Ever. Using Realtek HD onboard sound with creative fatal1ty headset.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    After seeing the video, I CAN hear it (probably never unhear it) but it's not NEARLY as loud or distracting as in that, probably because my sound effect volume is way down. Btw just remove the file that makes the sound?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    The bug where the sounds continue even after stopping movement have already been fixed for next patch.

Only thing I don't like about it, is the other team hearing it. Can't tell you how many times I've successfully hunted an alien who didn't know his regeneration played loud sound effects with which to track him. The downside to any upgrade is that you picked it over something else, having another crucial game play downside seems like over kill and not necessary.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066495:date=Jan 25 2013, 09:59 AM:name=d0ped0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d0ped0g @ Jan 25 2013, 09:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066495"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God I wish I could be all you people who don't hear the wooshing sound :/ It impedes your ability to listen for footsteps, and is just super-annoying. It sounds like you're in a wind tunnel or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I hear it, but it doesn't stop me from hearing footsteps.

Get better headphones.
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066441:date=Jan 25 2013, 10:01 AM:name=CommunistWithAGun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CommunistWithAGun @ Jan 25 2013, 10:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066441"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->am i getting trolled?

what sound? what screen blur? wtf...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1
    I have no idea what theyre talking about
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066670:date=Jan 25 2013, 03:42 PM:name=yuckfoo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yuckfoo @ Jan 25 2013, 03:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066670"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1
    I have no idea what theyre talking about<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Did you even bother watching the video that was posted???
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    The sound is obnoxious and it's more obnoxious that it doesn't correlate to speed. I can't help but feel it's a shame to spend time fixing that "bug" though when getting rid of it would be more preferable (the sound feedback for speed already exists in the additional jump sounds or quicker step sound).

Also, to anyone who has denied its existence or obviousness, please post a video in this thread. Until I see one that shows a significant difference in relative volume, I'll remain of the opinion that some players are less in tune with their audio surroundings!
    <!--quoteo(post=2066522:date=Jan 25 2013, 12:23 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Jan 25 2013, 12:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066522"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can the people who claim to hear no sounds first- go actually test it out real quick, and second- report on whether you use speakers, headphones and/or surround sound?

That's really weird that its not even noticeable for some, and completely drowns out everything else for others.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2066560:date=Jan 25 2013, 01:17 PM:name=Sharp-Shooter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sharp-Shooter @ Jan 25 2013, 01:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066560"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey guys I made a video to show you what me, and many others are talking about

Ok, so I said I never heard this sound before. I decided to test it out again and actually try and listen for it and you're correct it is there, but I think I've just always thought that was the normal ambient sound of the game.

I use headphones btw.

What is your sound level in game set to since this will make this sound louder or quieter? I had mine set to about 50% and if I set it to 100% it sounds just about as loud as it does in Sharp-shooters video. So that's probably why I never really noticed it before.

Great.....now that I heard it, I'm always going to hear it. DAMMIT!

OK, UWE needs to fix this! :D
    Sounds more like rushing water to me, its so soft had to listen so hard for it. Doesn't really bother me.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    I agree it's very annoying that marines are able to hear it too. Reminds me of a game yesterday where I heard the woosh and did a 180 with a shotgun. The skulk immediately called hacks. :/ It makes more sense for only the alien to hear it due to air friction moving against its ears at high speeds. Like many others, I wouldn't care if the woosh disappeared entirely. It's one of those things that may somewhat increase immersion, but it mostly boggles your senses and gets in the way of hearing the sounds you need to hear (like footsteps).

I could do without the regen sound as well. Now that I think of it, it seems the celerity/regen/camo sounds are meant to be disadvantages. Is this intended?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2066763:date=Jan 25 2013, 05:04 PM:name=Karnaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karnaj @ Jan 25 2013, 05:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066763"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I could do without the regen sound as well. Now that I think of it, it seems the celerity/regen/camo sounds are meant to be disadvantages. Is this intended?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's even a battle cooldown timer which forces you to retreat properly to take advantage of regen etc ;)
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2066763:date=Jan 26 2013, 12:04 AM:name=Karnaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karnaj @ Jan 26 2013, 12:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066763"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now that I think of it, it seems the celerity/regen/camo sounds are meant to be disadvantages. Is this intended?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I highly doubt it. When they've talked about the design philosophy behind upgrades, it's been to iterate that upgrades should confer disadvantage only in the respect that choosing one entails the absence of the other. I suspect that these are "oversights" or just low down on their list of what is important to a player.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066652:date=Jan 25 2013, 04:16 PM:name=Frothybeverage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frothybeverage @ Jan 25 2013, 04:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066652"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hear it, but it doesn't stop me from hearing footsteps.

Get better headphones.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same. That's why I said impede instead of stop. You still can hear footsteps, but it still makes it more difficult due to the sound interference (especially footsteps from further away that aren't very loud).
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    edited January 2013
    I never hear the sound of celerity.
    I just heard it one time, for the first time yesterday. It was a strange new sound to me.
    (I have 400+ hours in NS2)

But it was really loud. I get why ppl hate it. Fortunetly I do not hear it at all =)
    (Which is also a bug I assume)
    Honestly, I think how loud it plays is based on people's hardware/sound settings. I think if you have good soundcard and/or good headphones that can play bass better, then the celerity sound is more prominent.

Like another poster here that doesn't hear it that much, I have an onboard Realtek soundcard and a cheapo $25 headset and the celerity sound is not that noticeable.

The problem with posting a youtube video of the sound is that how loud the sound plays is still based on people's computers, not based on the person recording the video.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066650:date=Jan 25 2013, 01:14 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jan 25 2013, 01:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066650"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The bug where the sounds continue even after stopping movement have already been fixed for next patch.

Only thing I don't like about it, is the other team hearing it. Can't tell you how many times I've successfully hunted an alien who didn't know his regeneration played loud sound effects with which to track him. The downside to any upgrade is that you picked it over something else, having another crucial game play downside seems like over kill and not necessary.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I figured it was intended for regen. I've killed a few cloaked/onos through listening for regen. When I play with regen, I make sure to account for opponents using it against me.

The celerity sound shouldn't be heard by opponents, or at least be a different, more wispy sound, from a third-party perspective.

It's good to hear the bugs been resolve, next patch. Will the sound effect be present for wall-jumping/hopping players, without celerity?
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    I really don't think it has anything to do with hardware, I went through 2 different sound cards, one on a modified realtek sound card(supreme FX IV) one on Xonar STX, 2 different os's windows 7 and 8, different sound configurations, 2.1 5.1 7.1, it will always be there on my end, its been in this game for a while now I haven't really complained about it because I thought it was ambient sound being buggy and looping really fast and loud, then I found out its tied to celerity about a month ago and ever since then it bugs me more and more patch after patch nothing gets done, so this is why I started this thread to show everyone and UWE what some of us are dealing with.. its a game breaker for me, it kills my ability to hunt as a skulk, and kills the atmosphere for me in the world, I don't want to do a "trick" to get celerity sound effect to stop playing each time I want to travel, I just want it removed ENTIRELY. some people are saying its a trade off on purpose, which MAYBE true, but Carapace actually slowed down skulks before a certain patch and everyone hated it why? cause they noticed it, when people notice wind tunnel celerity most will hate it or don't mind it, almost nobody actually likes it

Remove it please
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2066499:date=Jan 25 2013, 12:04 PM:name=Virsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Virsoul @ Jan 25 2013, 12:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066499"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you tap shift when you first start moving, the sound will disappear so long as you don't stop moving or attack. It is difficult to get used to at first but now it's just second nature to do so.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This trick only seems to work for the skulk. Tried it with Lerk, gorge, fade, and Onos and couldn't get the sound to stop by taping the shift key.