Team Balancing

skitzoskitzo Join Date: 2013-01-25 Member: 181914Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Aliens OP</div>This game could be a lot more enjoyable if rushing was not so OP. Not sure if my opinion makes much difference, but Aliens seem to have huge advantage at the beginning stages of the game. The whole idea of the commander being able to expand, gain resource towers and build hives without any help from players is a huge advantage. Anyway maybe its just me and I am the only one who notices this. In my games Aliens win about 90% of the time vs the whole 10% of the time Marines do.

Comments

• GirTurkeyGirTurkey Join Date: 2005-03-03 Member: 43040Members
    yes, you're anecdotal 90% win percentage is totally wrong, its about 30% less than what you suppose. its about 60% win percentage right now as aliens.

reasons for this have been readily discussed, if you wish to look at the forums at all for the last 2 years. but this is your first post, so i'll assume you didn't. there are a few fundamental flaws in the game for how aliens are able to dominate map control early in contests.

1) alien respawn rate, which has been constantly tweaked by developers to make it so that rushing as aliens isn't a necessarily good strat. no res when dead, lower egg count etc.

2) alien hit reg, i.e. how marines are able to hit aliens, esp. when on walls and ceilings, improvements went in the most recent patch.

TBA:

3) drifters allowing the need for aliens to spread out and scout has been completely removed by these beautiful little suckers. they are a brilliant tool for aliens, but potential OP

4) continued work on hit registration

5) overall bitecone was buffed EXTREMELY in the patches before release and has not been changed since then. my main thought it to remove the 25 damage bite cone, and replace the 50 damage bitecone with only 25 damage. reducing overall cone by 33% and damage also by the same amount. rewarding skill for actually biting, rather than spam, spam, spam.

__

still the marines best way to win, which isn't used often in pubs (high and steep learning curve for NS/NS2). attack alien resource towers (for some reason called harvesters in NS2/boggles the mind) and also pressure on hives. heard today that apparently commanders should use different strats in competitive games compared to public games, because apparently the strats that are best in NS2 don't work for bad players. which like, yeah... played basketball at the park, passing the ball never wins? only pros pass the ball?
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    It feels like the game balance is very fragile. If you lose a skirmish early on as Marines then you can easily lose the nearest res tower within 20 seconds, not enough time to respawn and run back to save it.

Because Marines move slower and have to build things, you NEED to trade much better than 1:1 for the first 5 minutes or you will never take control of more than 2 tech points or even have a chance at killing an alien res node.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2066254:date=Jan 25 2013, 09:39 AM:name=GirTurkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GirTurkey @ Jan 25 2013, 09:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066254"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->5) overall bitecone was buffed EXTREMELY in the patches before release and has not been changed since then. my main thought it to remove the 25 damage bite cone, and replace the 50 damage bitecone with only 25 damage. reducing overall cone by 33% and damage also by the same amount. rewarding skill for actually biting, rather than spam, spam, spam.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you are wrong here. I haven't looked it up in the changelogs but I'm pretty certain the bite cone was severely tightened a few builds back (must have been 334 or 335). If I have the time I will go look into the changelog and see if I can find anything.

All I know is that after the mentioned build was released I really had to adapt my skulk play as most of my bites wouldn't land anymore. Ppl on the servers agreed on this at the time.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    There were 3 successive builds right before release where it got tightened and then expanded quite a bit and was ridiculously overpowered and then in a 3rd patch the expanded part got split into todays 50 and 25 glancing bites leaving only the tightened spot to do 75. I disagree with Gir that its OP, the 75 bite cone is the key to killing anything above a0 and it requires reasonably good accuracy.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2066254:date=Jan 25 2013, 02:39 AM:name=GirTurkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GirTurkey @ Jan 25 2013, 02:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066254"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yes, you're anecdotal 90% win percentage is totally wrong, its about 30% less than what you suppose. its about 60% win percentage right now as aliens.

reasons for this have been readily discussed, if you wish to look at the forums at all for the last 2 years. but this is your first post, so i'll assume you didn't. there are a few fundamental flaws in the game for how aliens are able to dominate map control early in contests.

1) alien respawn rate, which has been constantly tweaked by developers to make it so that rushing as aliens isn't a necessarily good strat. no res when dead, lower egg count etc.

2) alien hit reg, i.e. how marines are able to hit aliens, esp. when on walls and ceilings, improvements went in the most recent patch.

TBA:

3) drifters allowing the need for aliens to spread out and scout has been completely removed by these beautiful little suckers. they are a brilliant tool for aliens, but potential OP

4) continued work on hit registration

5) overall bitecone was buffed EXTREMELY in the patches before release and has not been changed since then. my main thought it to remove the 25 damage bite cone, and replace the 50 damage bitecone with only 25 damage. reducing overall cone by 33% and damage also by the same amount. rewarding skill for actually biting, rather than spam, spam, spam.

__

still the marines best way to win, which isn't used often in pubs (high and steep learning curve for NS/NS2). attack alien resource towers (for some reason called harvesters in NS2/boggles the mind) and also pressure on hives. heard today that apparently commanders should use different strats in competitive games compared to public games, because apparently the strats that are best in NS2 don't work for bad players. which like, yeah... played basketball at the park, passing the ball never wins? only pros pass the ball?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're leaving out quite a bit. While the OP's statistic is overly dramatic, I can tell you, aliens win by a large enough margin consistently that changes are coming.
  • MrChokeMrChoke Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 174990Members, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2066252:date=Jan 25 2013, 02:59 AM:name=skitzo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (skitzo @ Jan 25 2013, 02:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066252"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This game could be a lot more enjoyable if rushing was not so OP. Not sure if my opinion makes much difference, but Aliens seem to have huge advantage at the beginning stages of the game. The whole idea of the commander being able to expand, gain resource towers and build hives without any help from players is a huge advantage. Anyway maybe its just me and I am the only one who notices this. In my games Aliens win about 90% of the time vs the whole 10% of the time Marines do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You are definitely not the only person seeing this. I have made numerous posts on the topic myself. Most agree, they are winning too much. Not by 90% though. A website that tracks quite a few servers called NS2Stats.org shows them winning about 60% of "public" games and 68% of "competitive" games. "Competitive" is defined by some flag you can put on your server during "official" matches. The important take-away with comparing the two is, with the seemingly good NS2 players, aliens win even more.

I have even been keeping my own stats, basically so I can get a justification for the frustration I feel when the marines get wiped out game after game. The actual stats keep my anger in check when I start to think aliens are winning 99.9% of the time. My stats are about 70% aliens winning, after 71 games. More than enough to make me quite upset at the game right now.

One thing you will get ABSOLUTELY NO CONSENSUS ON WHATSOEVER FORGET ABOUT IT is "why aliens are winning so much". And an even uglier path to take with your post is suggesting how to fix it. Anyway, my 2-cents.
  • MasterChief_ns2MasterChief_ns2 Join Date: 2013-01-25 Member: 181938Members
    Simply put. Marines are more unforgiving than aliens, they probably need better teamwork, are more skill dependent and a good a commander is also needed in order to succeed.

The fun in this game is in that, hate simetrical games where the two sides or three only have diferent skins and names for their abilitites.

So yeah i feel its easier to win as a alien, but that only drives me to:

As a marine - "fight against the odds" try my best, make my bullets count and prove you can win lot of times as a marine.

As a alien - i try equally harder, just because i dont want to be part of the noob alien team that just lost a game against the marines :P
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=2066254:date=Jan 25 2013, 05:39 AM:name=GirTurkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GirTurkey @ Jan 25 2013, 05:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066254"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->5) overall bitecone was buffed EXTREMELY in the patches before release and has not been changed since then. my main thought it to remove the 25 damage bite cone, and replace the 50 damage bitecone with only 25 damage. reducing overall cone by 33% and damage also by the same amount. rewarding skill for actually biting, rather than spam, spam, spam.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Anyone who reads my posts will know I strongly agree with the fact that aliens are OP. I also champion the aliens 60%+ win rate as an example of this.

However...

I really don't want to see skulks messed with right now. They really feel like they are in the right place as far as deadliness is concerned. In NS1 it was a joke with missed bites when you're looking right at a marines ass. So I don't have a problem with the skulk bite cone. Fix the hit registration issue and this will be fine. People are tired of standing around looking at one another after the FIVE of them are unable to kill a skulk hopping around after unloading a full clip. There is no way anyone can suggest that someone is so bad at aiming that they can't connect with 3-4 bullets in one CLIP. These are not rookies either. Yet at other times skulks die like butter. There is something happening here, and once we fix it we'll see thing even out. I'd rather fix hit registration than change skulk damage to deal with a bug.
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    edited January 2013
    Buff rifle butt to 40 damage, double cooldown.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    The largest problem I see is the lifeform explosion. Aliens simply have to survive to 75 res, then field as many Oni as possible. Now that Gorge spit has been fixed, and hydras have received a small stealth buff, it's a lot easier for them to hold their ground until they get the RoflStomp going.

I would suggest seeing weapons/lifeforms limited so you don't see more than 2-3 Oni at a time, the same with shotguns, exos, grenade launchers, flamethrowers, etc.

Alternatively, give marines an elephant gun (which we know is coming in the form of the Railgun). Once marines have a good counter to the Onos, we'll see marines start winning more.

Coincidentally, I've been winning most of my marine matches lately by acting as a continuing source of communication, both in the comm chair and out. The marine commander doesn't have to be an omnipotent mastermind if everyone else is pulling their map awareness weight.
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    If a marine team is capable of killing extractors while defending theirs (asking a lot of pubs I know), pres onos typically comes after protolab tech.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    To follow on pend, if Marines kill the mid ranged life forms, aliens are forced to play weak whilst re saving for onos or re evovlve to a mid range life form at the expense of ever goin onos.

Focus on those lerks, you see the top teams doing this in the match replays.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2067147:date=Jan 26 2013, 11:28 PM:name=Timarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Timarius @ Jan 26 2013, 11:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067147"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The largest problem I see is the lifeform explosion. Aliens simply have to survive to 75 res, then field as many Oni as possible. Now that Gorge spit has been fixed, and hydras have received a small stealth buff, it's a lot easier for them to hold their ground until they get the RoflStomp going.

I would suggest seeing weapons/lifeforms limited so you don't see more than 2-3 Oni at a time, the same with shotguns, exos, grenade launchers, flamethrowers, etc.

Alternatively, give marines an elephant gun (which we know is coming in the form of the Railgun). Once marines have a good counter to the Onos, we'll see marines start winning more.

Coincidentally, I've been winning most of my marine matches lately by acting as a continuing source of communication, both in the comm chair and out. The marine commander doesn't have to be an omnipotent mastermind if everyone else is pulling their map awareness weight.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The whole point of marine gameplay is to make sure aliens can't survive without investing pres into gorge/hydra/lerk/fade as well as losing some harvesters.

If Alien hold more rts than Marines and dont need to go lerk/fade marines can as well concede there and then because they are outskilled and have no chance to win.
  • SkiTSkiT Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152452Members
    edited January 2013
    If u want to see more marine win please learn to put pressure at the start !!

I see 90% of marines pub teams just grab 3-4 res and go for the " Just hold our territory " strategy.. It's the best way to loose. Just send 2 guys maybe more just pushing alien res node at the start and keep doing that the all game, this way u keep aliens busy on alien territory ( and u see less aliens biting ur res nodes because they are too busy to defend).

good offensive it's the best way to defend ! And please i'm tired to see so many marines comm never drop ammo and meds. don't spam just drop the minimum for keep up ur guys alive and ready to fight ! (No armory !!! just meds and ammo, armory just make ur marines stop pushing !)

Stop going for sentry first, and exo.. it's worst strategy ever. and never forget to get arms lab FAST ! even before phase gate if u see ur marines struggle on fight.

My 2 cents

Ps : sorry for my english :)
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I haven't seen this topic before
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited January 2013
    I played a game as marine yesterday, pub, 6v6 (edit: I think later it was 8v8). Within 10 minutes of the game, i axed down all but their last restower and a growing 2nd hive on my own. Obviously, my mates were failing but so were the aliens (3 skulk came defending that hive, not at once of course).

Long story short, we still lost that game because we could not manage to kill the last hive. Even had a pg there... as long as the alien com can spam whips, your marines have to get a very coordinated push going on. The fight over their last hive continued on until they somehow got enough res for one alien to go onos. Onos destroys pubs. We had jetpacks, flamethrowers and exos way before they had 2 hives, no use if the marines are scrubs. An alien in an onos body on the other hand is always usefull, if only to soak up bullets.
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    any team that can get their sh*t together vs a team that can't find their a$$ with both hands is "over powered". Just the rules of good team vs bad.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2067361:date=Jan 27 2013, 07:55 AM:name=SkiT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SkiT @ Jan 27 2013, 07:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067361"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If u want to see more marine win please learn to put pressure at the start !!

I see 90% of marines pub teams just grab 3-4 res and go for the " Just hold our territory " strategy.. It's the best way to loose.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The fact that I heard a commander say: "Let them take a 3rd hive, that won't stop us from arcing it all later" reinforces this immensely.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2066252:date=Jan 25 2013, 02:59 AM:name=skitzo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (skitzo @ Jan 25 2013, 02:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066252"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This game could be a lot more enjoyable if rushing was not so OP. Not sure if my opinion makes much difference, but Aliens seem to have huge advantage at the beginning stages of the game. The whole idea of the commander being able to expand, gain resource towers and build hives without any help from players is a huge advantage. <b>Anyway maybe its just me and I am the only one who notices this.</b> In my games Aliens win about 90% of the time vs the whole 10% of the time Marines do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=127301" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=127301</a>
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=127302" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=127302</a>
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=127497" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=127497</a>
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=127520" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=127520</a>
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=127479" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=127479</a>
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=127439" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=127439</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=2067389:date=Jan 27 2013, 04:01 PM:name=ma$$a$$ter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ma$$a$$ter @ Jan 27 2013, 04:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067389"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->any team that can get their sh*t together vs a team that can't find their a$$ with both hands is "over powered". Just the rules of good team vs bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And if both teams can't get their sh*t together, the aliens win.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    edited January 2013
    with such a buggy game, gorges split couldnt hit, hit reg issues, performance issues, loading issues, interface issues, in-game support issues, it is funny to mention balance now as if one problem is solved, the 'balance' would drastically change. i am so surprised not even the general pub but also devs stress on balance rather than actually fixing the problems. you gonna do the work all over again after the solutions anyway why even bother wasting time? not to mention most cant even play the game properly or know fundamental ideas. how does balance matter? even worse, ninja undocumented obvious changes. priority issues again.

the game werent even fun to most, else dun tell me why you need a discount so soon and the player count shrink again. how about starting to make the game less monotonous as if it is a res-deny or one-sided-rape game?
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    when i think about bal, games like tfc 2 etc, each team has the same options- same classes and everything is asemetric. equil and oposite opposing force. this cant happen in ns2, we arnt using the same classes (hell, not even using classes on marine side but that's a whole diff ###### session). you can say team 1 has 3 different attacks, and team 2 gets 3 as well. now both teams have a way to counter each 3 attacks. i see this style in ns2, but getting this correct is a challenge. class vs class is easiest to bal out and adding marine classes would have made this a bit easier imo. my ###### isn't bal but that uwe for some reason decided to not so much improve upon the game and expand it beyond what it was, rather port it to a new engine with pritty new models.
  • ToastieToastie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167351Members
    So basically the marines need a researchable teamwork upgrade. I propose that it comes on the second comm chair, costs 30 res, and takes 180 seconds to research. The effect is that marines listen to the comm, cover and weld each other, and don't ALL run off in separate directions by themselves. For 10 additional res, they focus fire on gorges (this may be OP, should be reconsidered).
  • neighbsneighbs Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2067447:date=Jan 27 2013, 12:32 PM:name=Toastie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toastie @ Jan 27 2013, 12:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->don't ALL run off in separate directions by themselves<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think this is important to note. When you Comm Marines (pub) you'll see most games you will have 1 or 2 Rambos who think attempting to solo the Alien bases will win us the game when the rest of the team is dying at our main.
  • ZedXZedX Join Date: 2013-01-20 Member: 180901Members
    Rambos actually useful if they are destroying upgrades.
    Anyway, I think the most imbalanced thing is that aliens can get onos without any upgrades and only one hive. So if there are one good player, he can win by himself even with not so good comm. Marines, on the other hand, have to has a good comm in order to get exos or jet packs soon enough to deal with onoses.
  • ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
    The fate of the game is pretty much determined in the 5-10 minute mark. If marines cant hold extractors and tech points, marines lose. If they can hold at least 1 tech point, marines have a chance of winning. For me, 50% of times marines win and 50% aliens win. Marine teams that cant aim or hold places will most likely lose. Aliens that are cant harrass the marines enough in the beginning of the game often makes the aliens lose. Which ever team has the most team work will most likely win.
    Did you read my earlier post? I did something I dont do usually and do the rambo, got the aliens down to one harvester and one hive at the 10 min mark. The rest of the team locked down the other hives. Even with plenty of res, the marines did not manage to kill the hive, they did not even shoot it. The comm gave no orders either, at least he build a pg near the last hive and researched everything. I killed plenty of lifeforms that game, until about 20 minutes fighting at that hive later, one alien could afford an onos.
    Those marines needed to l2p, no question. But the aliens were not a bit better. In fact the marines even had me on their team with a k/d of about 30/5, having axed multiple rts and a hive myself.
    Maybe it is the performance, letting marines miss more than aliens? I am just so dumbfunded, and I think whether I should quit the game or not.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2067359:date=Jan 27 2013, 06:53 AM:name=gnoarch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gnoarch @ Jan 27 2013, 06:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The whole point of marine gameplay is to make sure aliens can't survive without investing pres into gorge/hydra/lerk/fade as well as losing some harvesters.

If Alien hold more rts than Marines and dont need to go lerk/fade marines can as well concede there and then because they are outskilled and have no chance to win.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It has less to do with skill and more to do with the way a lot of pub players see lifeforms. Occasionally, you'll see them go Gorge, or Fade if they're feeling it... but most of the time none of the alien team spends their pres until they can get an Onos. As long as they can manage to hold on long enough, their team will all go Onos.

It's not a matter of marines teching up before aliens and ending the game. If both teams are on equal footing, that Onos rush will be coming eventually, and it will turn the game around.

This will likely change when marines get railguns, but until then, all I expect to see is Onos spam.
  • VlaadVlaad Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161403Members
    Perhaps not really a best place to thow out my first post but topic seems rather interesting.

First off, as OP said, even though overestimating alien wins, is pretty much correct in my experience.

But there is a catch. Even while losing as a marine against good alien team, I rarely get frustrated unless I'm talking about those organized pub stomps where elite players hug and kiss over and over in same team ("learn to play hurrrr"). As an alien, while losing against a good marine team, I want to rip my hair out. I feel cheated when I die to a good marine player almost instantly, then get egglocked and then get oneshoted 2-3 times (at least once in vents), oneshoted by a stray grenade and, of course, lets not forget a fun death to a good placed mine in vents. Progression is even more fun: Ok so this guy is, quite obviously, FAR more experienced, judging by the way he blasted 4 skulks in a row with a shottie, SO let me just choose a below 75res life form that hell blast to hell with 2 shots.

When I get a shottie(in ns2, its power is closer to friggin' flak cannon), I know that 30 res lerk is as good as dead from one good blast and I know if I fail to do that, it comes from my own inexperience. I wont even mention a fade who is much easier to feed a good round. Even a marine player with GL who sports a drool cup on his table among other inventory on his table is almost guaranteed to dish out deaths to aliens in most amusing and unexpected ways just by spamming grenades randomly. Upgraded grenade droolers learn to shoot in his teammates feet laughing as hordes of skulks die horribly regardless of personal skill of skulk player. I don't want to get started about frustration that upgraded jetpacker can produce for aliens.

In short: Yes aliens win more but I don't see a problem with it. Id rather lose more as a marine than as a alien, there is so much more ways to have fun as a marine and for me, its all abut fun. Even when losing you can have fun in blasting aliens, even the best of players will accidentally run into your stream of fire. Not the case when losing as a alien and having to pray for divine intervention to kill a marine AND watch his equipment be wasted (not picked up).