New Obs upgrade

WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
edited January 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Apocalypse shield</div>The majority of the time aliens the rush the node to force a beacon, I think this will help with the base rushing.

Adv. Obs
1700 HP 300 armor (+300 armor from normal one)
Res to upgrade: 10
Ability: Apocalypse shield

Apocalypse shield:
(Adjust #'s for balance)
8 sec duration, 30 sec cooldown, 15 res <u>OR</u> 1 'use' per beacon
Effect like a nano shield, but instead of half damage, it is total immunity
Can affect Structures only (Like a node or PG)

Any thoughts?

Comments

• hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    I dont see a need for this, we already have nano which buys marines enough time to get back (assuming comms not asleep at the helm).

Further increasing the stats of an OBS creates other balance issues, its hard enough to take out an obs before a beacon happen with the current HP's.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    Ironic that I am strictly an alien player, but I come up with an idea that would make marines a bit too strong.

P.S. just curious, can you nano an exo?
    <!--quoteo(post=2065773:date=Jan 24 2013, 04:25 PM:name=WhiteWeasel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteWeasel @ Jan 24 2013, 04:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2065773"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ironic that I am strictly an alien player, but I come up with an idea that would make marines a bit too strong.

P.S. just curious, can you nano an exo?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Damn traitor !!! ;)

If it was simply a nano buff for extra res and research time you could tie to 3rd or 4th CC (given most maps have 5) it might work.

But I just dont see a need for it....nano seems to work fine as is....and buffing an obs just makes taking a base a lot harder (as you stand almost no chance of cancelling a beacon).

I am fairly sure you can use nano on an exo (you can nano a building or a marine (but they got rid of nano build times)), someone else no doubt could correct us if this is wrong.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Nanoshield doesn't work on Exos.
    <!--quoteo(post=2065856:date=Jan 24 2013, 09:02 PM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Jan 24 2013, 09:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2065856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nanoshield doesn't work on Exos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well I'll be....must admit I rarely see much nano anymore (not as common on the pubs now as it was in the beta).
    edited January 2013
    I guess the real solution is to more be clever in the use of normal nano.
  • FlamingoFlamingo Join Date: 2009-07-15 Member: 68141Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Interesting idea and I'm all for more abilities, but I think this one would just strengthen marine turtle further to the point where it's virtually unbeatable. Imagine if during a large-scale turtle you built 6 IPs and just beaconed and/or apocalypse shielded every time the onos gorge pain train showed up. No base damage and instantly spawning marines isn't very easy to deal with, even for high-tier lifeforms.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2066084:date=Jan 24 2013, 03:52 PM:name=Flamingo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flamingo @ Jan 24 2013, 03:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066084"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Interesting idea and I'm all for more abilities, but I think this one would just strengthen marine turtle further to the point where it's virtually unbeatable. Imagine if during a large-scale turtle you built 6 IPs and just beaconed and/or apocalypse shielded every time the onos gorge pain train showed up. No base damage and instantly spawning marines isn't very easy to deal with, even for high-tier lifeforms.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well first way to deal with this a long cooldown, even more than 30 second, secondly if you tie it to beacons made that means if you had beacond twice in a match, you could only use it twice, until you beacond again. And it only protects one structure.

but your right, without toning it down or making it super costly it is kinda OP