Request: Always Jump before jetpack starts

Lev SteelLev Steel Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162274Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited January 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Will i ever escape from that onos? :(</div>Hey Guys!
Since the Google Moderator Site seems to be offline, i just post it here:

I like to request a forced, normal, "jump" before the jetpack starts working. This is a small boost for the JP itself, since it gives you a little free acceleration into the air.
But the main reason for this request is the fact, that from time to time, you find yourself on the run from a horde of skulks or an onos, you run out of jetfuel and you are just not able to jump over this small obsticle, that is in your way... i bet, the little more advanced players here have found themselves in that situation at least once. Its just a painful death imo :(

Edit: Of course one could say "well, but jetpacks are heavy, you cannot jump with them on your back!". I think, thats a bad excuse! :p

Comments

• YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    Haha, who would say the jetpack is too heavy? Idiots!
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I like the idea, would help improve air control as well

i.e. If you could time it so that you started your jp boost at different points in the jump arc (jump straight up -> faster up boost; start boosting at the end of the arc and get forward momentum; Start half way through to get a combo of up and forward)

not to mention +1 for still being able to jump when out of fuel
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    Second this motion
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Essentially, turning the jetpack into a double-jump.

+1
  • kingkrabbe.#bofkingkrabbe.#bof Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162892Members
    I remember that in NS1 it was far more effective to duckjump->jetpack while ducked than to jump->jetpack.

Maybe this could be brought back: jump = normal jump. duck jump = jetpack.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It's a default bind in Tribes - jump then jetpack. There are separate bind for jump and jet, but they are unsued by default.
    It really is much much better than just jetting.
  • neighbsneighbs Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159024Members
    I entirely agree, being able to jump without fuel is necessary, I feel like when I equip a JP jump is disabled.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    +1 its really irritating you cannot get over minor obstacles as well when you have the jetpack.
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2066482:date=Jan 25 2013, 01:47 PM:name=xen32)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xen32 @ Jan 25 2013, 01:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2066482"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a default bind in Tribes - jump then jetpack. There are separate bind for jump and jet, but they are unsued by default.
    It really is much much better than just jetting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Holy crap, I just had a realization. One of the games I played the most during NS2's "unplayable" periods during Beta was Tribes Ascend. This explains why the JP feels like a giant boulder is strapped to my back...I even remember the NS1 JP being a lot more agile than the one we have in NS2. Although, it was more justified as some of the rooms in NS1 were gigantic (thinking Nancy).

I go from T:A where maps are absolutely gigantic with fluid JPs/skiing to NS2 where maps are claustrophobic with boulders for JPs. It all makes sense now!
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    This may sound strange but why can't you just press the space bar sooner and start flying? The only time I can't get away from an onos with a jet pack is when they are camouflaged and sitting right on me... shame on my commander for not scanning!!!
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2067255:date=Jan 27 2013, 04:46 AM:name=SeeVee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SeeVee @ Jan 27 2013, 04:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067255"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This may sound strange but why can't you just press the space bar sooner and start flying? The only time I can't get away from an onos with a jet pack is when they are camouflaged and sitting right on me... shame on my commander for not scanning!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "press space bar sooner" ???? we are talking about situations when you are out of fuel and cant even jump over small obstacles. also it takes ages to take off wit the jetpack.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2067317:date=Jan 27 2013, 04:49 AM:name=Gamerkatze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gamerkatze @ Jan 27 2013, 04:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2067317"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"press space bar sooner" ???? we are talking about situations when you are out of fuel and cant even jump over small obstacles. also it takes ages to take off wit the jetpack.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

a marine with an empty jet pack should be able to jump over any obstacle a non-jet pack marine can. If your jet pack is empty then you'll have to walk... just like if your car ran out gas :)
  • rook2pawnrook2pawn Join Date: 2008-07-03 Member: 64552Members
    SeeVee wrote: »
    QUOTE (Gamerkatze @ Jan 27 2013, 04:49 AM) »"press space bar sooner" ???? we are talking about situations when you are out of fuel and cant even jump over small obstacles. also it takes ages to take off wit the jetpack.

a marine with an empty jet pack should be able to jump over any obstacle a non-jet pack marine can. If your jet pack is empty then you'll have to walk... just like if your car ran out gas :)

The issue is at the start of using the JP you have essentially reset all momentum, so the moment you "take off" you have basically 0 velocity. This results in aliens catching you, or only using your JP for long range GL lobbing.

NS1 jp's were much more maneuverable because they responded to the current velocity at the time of use, and didn't reset velocity to use it.
  • Lev SteelLev Steel Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162274Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Since i just died as a Jetpacker "on the run", not able to jump over a freakin box, i just want to "bumt this up" again.. makes me really mad! xD
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Lev Steel wrote: »
    Since i just died as a Jetpacker "on the run", not able to jump over a freakin box, i just want to "bumt this up" again.. makes me really mad! xD
    With the economy in the state that it is currently, the TSF are also feeling it and limit the jetpacks' fuel. As such, it's working as intended even if it is rage inducing. Make sure you use that fuel at the appropriate times :P
  • Lev SteelLev Steel Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162274Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't mind jetpack fuel to run out. But i mind not being able to get over the smallest obsticles when i am on the run (or even on the hunt).
  • das0308das0308 Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166824Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I want it, so bad.
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Lev Steel wrote: »
    With the economy in the state that it is currently, the TSF are also feeling it and limit the jetpacks' fuel. As such, it's working as intended even if it is rage inducing. Make sure you use that fuel at the appropriate times :P

Then raise the cost by 5 res? Not being able to jump, because you upgraded into a jetpack, is kind of silly. This never occured to me, the most realistic thing is ofc, just because you have a pack, you can still use your legs to jump.
  • Gergow44Gergow44 Join Date: 2013-05-16 Member: 185255Members
    What about an alternate jetpack that lifts you off the ground with a jumpstart, but it would require 3sec (or shorter) between takeoffs. Reshearch would require jetpack, but it would be cheap and fast. Or something. (You use the jetpack with your feet on the ground, it makes you jump before it starts, and if you land on the ground while the cooldown timer is running, you cannot leap again until it finishes.)
  • proteinstainproteinstain Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24349Members
    great idea this definitely at least deserves a test run.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Very cool idea! I'll nudge Andi and see if he can add it. (No guarantee it can happen!! You never know what weird stuff might be going on in code with jetpacks...)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2013
    Hugh said:
    Very cool idea! I'll nudge Andi and see if he can add it. (No guarantee it can happen!! You never know what weird stuff might be going on in code with jetpacks...)
    Hmm, I foresee a bug where jump is stuck on and negates gravity, basically propelling the marine upwards at the speed of light ignoring collisions and going out of bound where the player gets struck down by the almighty lord of Spark. Fine I'll get started on the bug report >: (

^that or bunnyhopping
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Hugh wrote: »

Any news ?
    Guess not. Lets wait another year oder so xD
  • jostoljostol Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166659Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There's still interest in this. Being able to jump before activating the jet-pack.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    This, or make Onos range not impossible to visualize.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes, excellent idea. :-bd
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    I too would like to see this. Does anyone know if it's been implemented already in @sewlek's balance test mod?