Mod Workshop Reverse-Publish?

Evil_IceEvil_Ice Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29827Members, Squad Five Blue
To start, no I do NOT mean UN-publish, I mean reverse-publish. I do not wish to remove a mod from the workshop, but I would like the ability to pull a mod-ID back to my computer in the event that I am using an alternate computer as I am now.

Example (and this is my predicament):

I am in the US military, in an expeditionary tactical comm unit, and we do ALOT of travel all over the world. I primarily like to do my development on my desktop seated in my computer chair in the comforts of my own home. This is obviously, and often, not the case however. I do have a powerful and capable laptop that I take with me on deployments, and I can still work on models, animations, etc., but the problem arises that if I had originally published a mod to the workshop from my desktop, I cannot update that mod from my laptop even from the same steam account. This is an extreme annoyance that has already affected me once, when I attempted to update my NS1 Knife mod only to have it create an identical clone of the mod with a new mod ID on the workshop instead! We drastically need an ability to retrieve a mod-id to the spark launchpad editor so that I can update mods from laptop or PC regardless of which one I authored it from originally, and in the case someone were to have a HD failure, or had to re-install NS2?

Please any advise would be greatly appreciated on this.

Comments

• douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    Not sure if this is possible, but you could consider setting up SVN and version your files across computers.

You also might be able to go into your "%APPDATA%/Natural Selection 2/Workshop" folder and find the Lua files you originally committed to the workshop, edit them and recommit them.

Though for other files, like models and materials, you might have more trouble on that.
  • Evil_IceEvil_Ice Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29827Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2013
    This is in fact, an issue with model/texture an animation mods, but it shouldn't be any different than if it was LUA script mod, the same problems would exist if you attempted to update a lua script mod by transferring the files to another computer, completely intact and identical, and tried to republish the mod, it would simply recreate the workshop instead of allowing you to continue/edit it... to clarify, I am not trying to retrieve the actual mod files, I simply copied all of my source files just fine between computers, the problem arises from the launchpad not being of the same exact installation, which it will NEVER be across separate HDs.

This is very bothersome and extremely counter-intuitive, I can understand the lack of decompilers for things, but this is a much easier problem to fix. The launchpad system syncs up with the workshop fine... in most cases... the problem is that it's all one-way, and even though edits can be done to the steam workshop file through steam itself for information, description, contributors, images/previews, and visibility, none of this information is transferred back to the launchpad mod editor/manager. This one-way communication is very poor management, and simply republishing a mod often means re-editing the workshop in steam again afterwards. This also means, like in the case that I am describing in this thread, that if for any reason the launchpad manager ever has to be re-installed, you now can no longer update the mods you had listed there!

Very much in need of an update/fix for this problem.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    edited January 2013
    In your mod's folder, there should be a .publish folder containing an info.xml file. The info.xml file contains an ID number.

If you manually edit that ID number on your laptop to match the one on your desktop, does Publish then push your changes to the correct mod on Steam Workshop?

See <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=122152" target="_blank">this thread</a> for more info, and maybe some ideas to get it working right for you?