Here's an idea for you server hosts

RobbyRobby Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159687Members
edited January 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Set yours up for veterans only. I don't understand why the biggest NS fans are supposed to suffer by not having their own space to play. It's not just rookies that need their own servers, you know. Experienced players all over are seemingly dead tired of having bad matches due to rookies in the teams. And unfortunately the Rookie Friendly servers can't contain all of them, so plenty of them come to the regular servers, which frustrates everyone as 1) lots of rookies don't understand that white servers are not meant for them and 2) experienced players have to spend time teaching rookies (which kind of is UWE's job and not theirs) instead of having fun. Plus, a LOT of players remove their Rookie tag after only a few matches, thinking they're good enough to join the regular servers. I didn't this mind at first. But having played for a week without a single balanced match, because rookies keep entering servers not really meant for them, is kind of ruining the game.

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Red servers for Experienced Only<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> may be the solution. UWE should have done this long ago. The biggest NS fans are suffering because of this and could use some space for the "end game" (when you're out of the intermediate league.) Imagine servers where you as an NS vet could play on to always have great games with competent players in each team. Dream come true! It's the only thing NS is lacking atm as i see it. I have plenty of friends who'd play on such servers constantly, so i doubt they'd be empty.

If UWE reads this and eventually does add the ability to create red servers, please make sure to keep these servers out of the Quickjoin function, unless you improve on it so you can choose whether or not to end up on a red server.

Comments

• EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2063661:date=Jan 20 2013, 01:16 PM:name=Robby)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Robby @ Jan 20 2013, 01:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063661"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But having played for a week without a single balanced match is kind of ruining the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just a week? I can't recall the last balanced match I had, given up on the game now.
  • RobbyRobby Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159687Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2063662:date=Jan 20 2013, 02:19 PM:name=Emoo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Emoo @ Jan 20 2013, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063662"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just a week? I can't recall the last balanced match I had, given up on the game now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're a good example of this issue then. I can't recall any other FPS game that really suffered from this as much as NS does. It's really starting to get frustrating that you have less good matches the more experienced you become. Supposed to be the other way around.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2013
    All-In has a NEW server just for this reason.

All-In | vets NO shhhhhhhitties server

- minus all the hhhhhhhh but 1

Be sure to join us. We will be inforcing no shhhhhhhitties. You may not be able to aim. But atleast work as a team and ambush and stuff and you should be ok. If you don;t you know where the door is.
    <!--quoteo(post=2063667:date=Jan 20 2013, 02:38 PM:name=JuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi @ Jan 20 2013, 02:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063667"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All-In has a NEW server just for this reason.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nice to see someone getting into this movement. I sure hope that UWE adds the actual ability to host servers that show up with a red title in the server list and with its own filter as well, so rookies hopefully will learn to keep out even without having to read it.
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    Rookies shouldn't be allowed to join non-rookie servers. Problem solved.
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think it's easy to write a mod which autokicks greens. Not sure why you'd want that though. A lot of servers I've seen has such strong communities there is seemingly no place for rookies to even get into the server in the first place.
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2063667:date=Jan 20 2013, 05:38 AM:name=JuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi @ Jan 20 2013, 05:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063667"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All-In has a NEW server just for this reason.

All-In | vets NO shhhhhhhitties server

- minus all the hhhhhhhh but 1

Be sure to join us. We will be inforcing no shhhhhhhitties. You may not be able to aim. But atleast work as a team and ambush and stuff and you should be ok. If you don;t you know where the door is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Jucci is the exception that gets to play on this server
    <!--quoteo(post=2063728:date=Jan 20 2013, 05:23 PM:name=nsguy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nsguy @ Jan 20 2013, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063728"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Rookies shouldn't be allowed to join non-rookie servers. Problem solved.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, i don't think that's good enough. There's a big difference in skill between people "better than rookies" and veteran players. I'd prefer red servers where only the most skilled have a chance.
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I hate this thread. Stop separating the playerbase.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=2063661:date=Jan 20 2013, 10:16 AM:name=Robby)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Robby @ Jan 20 2013, 10:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063661"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Set yours up for veterans only. I don't understand why the biggest NS fans are supposed to suffer by not having their own space to play. It's not just rookies that need their own servers, you know. Experienced players all over are seemingly dead tired of having bad matches due to rookies in the teams.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Here's an idea... Try helping those people become better players by working WITH them. Guess what? Those 'rookies' become experienced players. If you start autokicking them because of their rookie tag, they may leave and not come back.

You'll get your wish; every server will be a 'veteran' server. All four of them. (since that's how many people will be left playing at that point.)
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Kicking a player because of their 4-hour green name is pretty pointless. It doesn't have a sizable benefit because those 5-hour players will slip past your filter and be just as bad. Training every player in the game is also not really a plausible option.

Solution:
    Play on all-in's veteran only server.
    <!--quoteo(post=2063754:date=Jan 20 2013, 11:59 AM:name=Vitdom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vitdom @ Jan 20 2013, 11:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063754"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hate this thread. Stop separating the playerbase.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're not separating the player base with this. It's self selected match making.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    So let me get this straight. OP complains that there's not enough rookie servers as is to hold them all, then urges server owners to make vet only servers. The amount of thought applied to this thread was MONUMENTAL!
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    Firstly, there are lots of rookie servers. Secondly, the rookie length of 4 hours is ridiculous. It should be 24 hours. Then the system would work very well.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    and also, you can try and teach new people but if they don;t care to learn they wont. So i will weed them out pretty fast on our server. Giving a lil leeway if i see your working with us, even if you cant aim. Aim isnt what makes me to upset. It's the im gonna do w.e the fack i want too bs.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    sounds like the rookies just got

<b><i>NATURALLY SELECTED</i></b>
    edited January 2013
    People, please stop the typical "Help the newbies" yap already. It doesn't matter if more people would step in to help the newbies, which i'm mostly the only person in the team even trying to do. NS2 is a difficult game and it's going to take months of this to get them to the level of experience that us veterans would like them to reach.

<!--quoteo(post=2063756:date=Jan 20 2013, 06:02 PM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Jan 20 2013, 06:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063756"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here's an idea... Try helping those people become better players by working WITH them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're writing to one of the most helpful players in this scene. I'm always teaching and directing, never blaming individuals for failing. My point is: i'm getting tired of having to act as a guiding drill sergeant in a game that used to be about two even teams fighting each other. Rather than sticking around to keep doing this, most of us are seemingly getting tired and stop playing instead. Which one certainly can't blame them for after so many pointless and boring matches.

I'm not asking for much. Just a few servers where people can actually play the game instead of helping newbies.

<!--quoteo(post=2063764:date=Jan 20 2013, 06:15 PM:name=Mavick)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mavick @ Jan 20 2013, 06:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063764"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So let me get this straight. OP complains that there's not enough rookie servers as is to hold them all, then urges server owners to make vet only servers. The amount of thought applied to this thread was MONUMENTAL!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I never meant that the rookie servers aren't enough to actually house all rookies. The "And unfortunately the Rookie Friendly servers can't contain all of them..." was not meant to be taken literally. I meant that plenty of rookies end up on regular servers anyway, even with plenty of rookie friendly servers with free slots. As i stated in the OP, a lot of newbies quickly lose the Rookie status anyway, thus joining the regular servers, where people expect them to know what they're doing, which they don't. This is certainly not fair to the rookies, but neither is it to the veterans who used to have fun. It's not our job to teach the rookies week out and week in. If you can't see this i guess you're neither a) out of the rookie league yourself, and/or b) have yet to experience a weeks worth of gaming without a single match that wasn't shock-full with people who didn't know what they were doing, even though they had great commanders in most of them.

15 of the experienced people i used to play NS2 with have stopped playing temporarily because of the same things i'm complaining about. I think they ought to have some fun too.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <a href="http://www.ensl.org" target="_blank">http://www.ensl.org</a>

Gathers are your friend.
    <!--quoteo(post=2063851:date=Jan 20 2013, 09:00 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jan 20 2013, 09:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063851"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.ensl.org" target="_blank">http://www.ensl.org</a>

Gathers are your friend.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks. I'm an ex UT and CS pro and i'm not interested in getting back into competition though. Just want to enjoy the game.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    Same deal as most games: if you want to completely avoid newbies you either (a) join a league or tournament, or (b) find some exclusive server(s) where veterans congregate. Possibly a password-restricted server.

Official support for that exclusivity would actually make it less exclusive than you really want (do you really believe that only true vets are going to join servers flagged Veteran Only?)
  • TSADroneTSADrone Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173807Members
    Sounds like the All-In guys shouldn't be playing on their own server.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2063865:date=Jan 20 2013, 09:35 PM:name=Axehilt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Axehilt @ Jan 20 2013, 09:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063865"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Same deal as most games: if you want to completely avoid newbies you either (a) join a league or tournament, or (b) find some exclusive server(s) where veterans congregate. Possibly a password-restricted server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It does feel quite a bit odd that so few support this idea here in the forums when basically everyone agrees with me on the servers after three bad matches in a row happens.

I'm obviously not talking about a slight problem with a few individuals who aren't exactly adept. NS2 has had an enormous influx of new players since the game went on sale, whereas most of these players still are far from ready to join regular servers. It wouldn't surprise me if 80% of all people who currently play the game should have the rookie status. How lucky must you be not to have experienced multiple bad matches in a row caused by a server flooded with seven newbies and one experienced player in one team and almost the opposite in the other? This happens on a daily basis for me and most people on my Steam friends list.

<!--quoteo(post=2063865:date=Jan 20 2013, 09:35 PM:name=Axehilt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Axehilt @ Jan 20 2013, 09:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063865"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Official support for that exclusivity would actually make it less exclusive than you really want (do you really believe that only true vets are going to join servers flagged Veteran Only?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Course not. But i figure they'd leave once they realize that they're not quite ready to join the veterans just because they're out of the rookie league when they reach 0-10 in score and have half their team asking them to leave. I'm sure they would learn from this mistake quickly and then keep away. I believe veteran servers could really solve the problem.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2063862:date=Jan 20 2013, 12:29 PM:name=Robby)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Robby @ Jan 20 2013, 12:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks. I'm an ex UT and CS pro and i'm not interested in getting back into competition though. Just want to enjoy the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Gathers are pickup games rather than comp matches. Anyone who signs up on the website and follows the rules can play. I more often find well-balanced matchups via gathers than I do just pubbing.
    <!--quoteo(post=2063878:date=Jan 20 2013, 10:03 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jan 20 2013, 10:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063878"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gathers are pickup games rather than comp matches. Anyone who signs up on the website and follows the rules can play. I more often find well-balanced matchups via gathers than I do just pubbing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess the closest similarity to this was called clan-wars back in my days. Interesting concept to take something as trivial as servers without newbies and make it into a full-blown community with its own set of strict rules, attendance-lists and even referees. One could say that gathers are a good example of how desperate the NS2 community is to get some good games going, thus further proving my point about the need for "casual" veteran servers. But i can see from its history that ENSL was around long before this influx happened, so i guess it has a purpose on its own.

One day i hope i can just start NS2 up, join a red server, and know that i can enjoy this great game with competent players. I really don't see what's so tricky or destructive about that vision.
    You can do that today. Just join the all-in server that has been posted about 5 times in this thread.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=2063876:date=Jan 20 2013, 06:02 PM:name=Robby)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Robby @ Jan 20 2013, 06:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063876"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It does feel quite a bit odd that so few support this idea here in the forums when basically everyone agrees with me on the servers after three bad matches in a row happens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Perhaps they're worried they may get caught in the middle.

I've actually advocated for 'tournament' or 'expert' mode NS2. I feel that balancing the game for the veterans and allowing servers to run those 'expert' mode games would benefit everyone. Yet some people whined that it will 'split the community'. Isn't that exactly what you want to be done here?

The 'community' can't have it both ways. If they don't want to have an 'expert mode' NS2, then all games should be open to players of all levels. (and I suspect that if anyone wrote a mod to autokick rookies that UWE would ban it immediately.)
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2063921:date=Jan 20 2013, 05:39 PM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Jan 20 2013, 05:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063921"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps they're worried they may get caught in the middle.

I've actually advocated for 'tournament' or 'expert' mode NS2. I feel that balancing the game for the veterans and allowing servers to run those 'expert' mode games would benefit everyone. Yet some people whined that it will 'split the community'. Isn't that exactly what you want to be done here?

The 'community' can't have it both ways. If they don't want to have an 'expert mode' NS2, then all games should be open to players of all levels. (and I suspect that if anyone wrote a mod to autokick rookies that UWE would ban it immediately.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Having a server labeled as "VETERAN" is different from having a different game entirely.

You advocated for a different version of NS2, which many people feel will fracture the community. Having "veteran" servers is no different than having "rookie" servers -- everyone is still playing NS2.
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2063754:date=Jan 20 2013, 11:59 AM:name=Vitdom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vitdom @ Jan 20 2013, 11:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063754"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hate this thread. Stop separating the playerbase.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Right, and what happens when edakulous comes into a pub and goes 24/3? People start whining that he's cheating and they start rage quitting. I watched a stream last night where a couple nexzel players went into a pub and just the 2 of them playing on the same side stacked the server.

I like the all-in server. I was playing this morning and having fun. Having a place that the competitive players can play casually between gathers and scrimms is a good thing imo.

I don't have time to invest in pugs or clans, but I would like a little more than the cluster ###### that some of the pub servers can turn into. I'll typically play on the KKG servers because that's where a lot of good players like to hang around. If you sign up at their forum you can be part of their badge weekend every month. Some of those guys are really good too.
    <!--quoteo(post=2063940:date=Jan 21 2013, 12:14 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Jan 21 2013, 12:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063940"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You advocated for a different version of NS2, which many people feel will fracture the community. Having "veteran" servers is no different than having "rookie" servers -- everyone is still playing NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly. I have not once suggested that we change the game itself or auto-kick rookies etc. I don't know why the heck people dragged in that nonsense to make a hen of a feather here.

I'm just talking about having a few servers meant for people who want a break from the horde of rookies, and intermediates too for that matter. Rookies and intermediates have all servers to themselves now (except maybe this all-in server that i still can't find in the server list and thus probably has more than 120 ping for me), so i don't see why there can't be a few servers out there where only veterans are allowed as well. I don't want to have to rely on visiting a website, signing up, and waiting for others to sign up to have a good game every time that i want to play NS2.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2063973:date=Jan 21 2013, 01:22 AM:name=sharnrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sharnrock @ Jan 21 2013, 01:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063973"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Right, and what happens when edakulous comes into a pub and goes 24/3? People start whining that he's cheating and they start rage quitting. I watched a stream last night where a couple nexzel players went into a pub and just the 2 of them playing on the same side stacked the server.

I like the all-in server. I was playing this morning and having fun. Having a place that the competitive players can play casually between gathers and scrimms is a good thing imo.

I don't have time to invest in pugs or clans, but I would like a little more than the cluster ###### that some of the pub servers can turn into. I'll typically play on the KKG servers because that's where a lot of good players like to hang around. If you sign up at their forum you can be part of their badge weekend every month. Some of those guys are really good too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I understand what you are saying, and that there is some truth in it, but I do not share the experience at all.

About a week ago I joined a pub consisting of maybe 20 % rookies and stacked up at least 40-0. Nobody else came even close near my scores, nobody stacked my team, nobody complained, 1 player complimented me for my fine score and contribution, everyone enjoyed the game, minimum amount of leavers, no surrendering, nice game flow etc.
    I don't usually stack up such a good score, but I always play public, and NEVER EVER have I seen anyone stacking up very high scores being detrimental to the fun-value of the gameplay.

I believe the only ones who complain and rage quit are the ones who doesn't like the game in the first place. Just ignore them. Just at release I played in a server pretty much full of rookies and another player had a very nice score, and some questioned his/her skills, but nobody complained nor rage quitted, and everyone was pretty much only joking and having fun.

Just as JuCCi says, if I'd stumble upon a rookie who rages(not questions) at someone for being good, I'd just kick them (if I was admin). They are the ones who are detrimental to the gameplay.