[Project] Comprehensive Tutorial Videos for Newbies

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
Yeah, so, most of the videos in the "Tutorials" menu of the game suck. Even the good ones are out of date - the best is the advanced Skulk tutorial but the walljump mechanic has changed since then. So I made some videos to fix this. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCfp7klrYmz-0NcwKiMS-Lb5KXp666Pgc&feature=view_all" target="_blank">Here is the YouTube playlist with my videos</a> and <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=121296534" target="_blank">here is the Steam guide</a>. If anyone has any suggestions for improvements or additional videos let me know. NS2 is a hard game to learn and the game doesn't make it easier - videos like these are the first step for turning newbies into happy players rather than people who give up because it's too complex and never play NS2 again.

Comments

• zenatsuzenatsu Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176363Members
    Would you be interested in actually creating a tutorial Series? I can record and explain various mechanics very easily, but I have no editing skills at all.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    It's not just that they're out of date, it's that there is no standardization.

The quality, the voice, the style is different for each video. They're incredibly long and disjointed in some of them. That's the byproduct of having them produced by different people.

They need to be categorized, edited down and grouped efficiently. Dialogue needs to be kept clear, direct and to the point with no filler. It's a tutorial, not a trailer.

This rough outline would be 1 Intro Video, 5 Marine videos, 7-9~ Alien videos, each no longer than 5 minutes unless necessary time runs that long. (more likely with Aliens than not)

Intro Video: Explanation of team objectives, game overview and asymmetrical style along with general goals on every map (Tech points and RTs)

Marine: Gameplay Style Overview
    - Commander Overview
    - Marine Weaponry and Support Gear
    - Basic Marine positioning and tactics.
    - Basic Commanding Tactics along with standard Do's and Don'ts

Alien Gameplay Overview
    - Khammander Overview
    - Tech tree explanation along with structure nuances and abilities
    - Life form overview
    - Skulk basics and gameplay style.
    - Gorge basics and gameplay style.
    - Lerk basics and gameplay style.
    - Fade basics and gameplay style.
    - Onos basics and gameplay style.
  • WhooperWhooper Join Date: 2013-01-21 Member: 181034Members
    a very good idea!

i'm struggling to find any good tutorials to show my friends, so they can see what ns2 is all about.

i would like to help you in your endeavors, but i don't have any editing skills...

what i can offer you, is to translate your videos into german and help you in any other way i can!
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2064086:date=Jan 21 2013, 02:22 AM:name=zenatsu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zenatsu @ Jan 21 2013, 02:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2064086"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would you be interested in actually creating a tutorial Series? I can record and explain various mechanics very easily, but I have no editing skills at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm very interested! I already made one and linked it in the OP.

Omar, I pretty much made all the videos you listed, although mine are combined a bit more (all of the non-commander Marine stuff is in one video, basically).

Whooper, you can link your friends to the videos I posted in the OP if you want. If you want to translate them too, go right ahead! I could add the subtitles to YouTube.
  • WhooperWhooper Join Date: 2013-01-21 Member: 181034Members
    jeah i watched the marines commander videos and they are very nicely done!

good stuff you got there!
  • zenatsuzenatsu Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176363Members
    Tycho, I would love to get in on this and help. If its recording/commentating I can get that done. (but as of RIGHT NOW right now, i've got a lot of stuff on my plate I need to chow down first)

Omar, That is the issue with a lot of tutorials. and the reason the NS2 tut's are so 'chaotic' in terms of view-ability is the very fact that they are all done by sole poeple not organized together.

Which is why we need to gather people, remake videos (pain in the ass but needs to be done), and create a series that helps people get into the game. Who knows even UE might back us up in terms of promo's.

But we need to take this by baby steps. Get a pilot out that shows the 'style' of teaching we will be approaching, get a list of lessons we need to teach, break it down to a novice level. Then we can bring it up to advanced levels to help people get into the competitive side of things.
    Do you think the videos I made already and linked in the OP are good examples, or do you have suggestions for other things that could b edone?
    So I can't help but notice that the fancy new website has a Game Guide section but the videos are still woefully outdated. Maybe this would be a good chance to slot something newer, like my videos, into there...