Terminus Game

NeonSpyderNeonSpyder "Das est NTLDR?" Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
edited January 2013 in Off-Topic
(Formatting is messed up because of new forum, the website has all the good information anyway): http://www.indiegogo.com/terminusgame

Comments

• SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    Sounds good, like SimCity in space.

I did play the trailer, skipped in a little bit, then chuckled when the one developer said "we have it all planned out, now all we need to do is build it, playtest it, and release it."
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    While this does sound interesting I do want to say one critique. I am not sure if you can change the video after the fact, but the video is way too slow. Literally the first 1:30 could be cut. Also before the 3 minute mark, you spend a good 30 seconds animating your logo. For almost half the movie, I had no idea what I was being asked to spend some money on.

Now, don't get me wrong, the visuals and music were very nice but I got bored and started skipping through it to find what the game was about. I only went back later to see just how long it dragged on for this reply :) You should first get the viewer a rundown of what the game is, then hit them with the "oooh" and "ahhh" stuff. Good luck on making it!
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sounds like a really nice concept!!

Yea trailer is too long. Also, why is Australia chosen for the launching of <b>nuclear bombs</b>? :(. Should move that stuff to New Zealand, no-one lives there anyway.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    Actually we can change the video after we launch. I will experiment with swapping the first part and the second part around, so the current first part plays at the end... just to see what it looks like. If it works better I'll change the video.

Australia was chosen because:

a. I used to live there
    b. My family still lives there
    c. I have a sense of humour :D
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I've seen this on Discovery Channel. Only it was a pulsar moving towards our solar system and we have ~70 years to get a nuclear powered space ark to leave the solar system and go to the nearest or most promising planet to save the human race. Sound quite interesting in any case!
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    I re-jiggered the trailer around, now the talky bit comes first and then the cinematic bit pops on after I stop talking.

It seems to work better, thanks for describing the issue to me so I could make it better :D
    We've done up an update video here talking about the game:

<a href="http://youtu.be/KakpodIR0O8" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/KakpodIR0O8</a>
    edited January 2013
    We've got coverage on spacesector.com - http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2013/01/terminus-the-difficulty-of-colonizing-another-planet/
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    This game is going places <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>pun intended :P</span>
  • Ignuus66Ignuus66 Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182773Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I've seen this on Discovery Channel. Only it was a pulsar moving towards our solar system and we have ~70 years to get a nuclear powered space ark to leave the solar system and go to the nearest or most promising planet to save the human race. Sound quite interesting in any case!
    That film/movie/episode/series would interest me, can you remember what it's called?

edited February 2013
    Ignuus66 wrote: »
    That film/movie/episode/series would interest me, can you remember what it's called?

I've searched a bit for it, but I'm not sure what it was called. Something about doomsday or apocalypse in combination with space ark comes to mind, but those also don't show me anything on Google :(

Scratch that, I think I've got it!

It was on National Geographics, was a period of 75 years and involved a neutron star that goes balistic (super nova) and hurdles the remaining core into our direction. Basically ripping anything apart which it comes across (our solar system), it was called "Evacuate Earth" Posting it here as it is kinda related to the game and might give you guys some inspiration as well :)

• Ignuus66Ignuus66 Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182773Members
    Ignuus66 wrote: »

I've searched a bit for it, but I'm not sure what it was called. Something about doomsday or apocalypse in combination with space ark comes to mind, but those also don't show me anything on Google :(

Scratch that, I think I've got it!

It was on National Geographics, was a period of 75 years and involved a neutron star that goes balistic (super nova) and hurdles the remaining core into our direction. Basically ripping anything apart which it comes across (our solar system), it was called "Evacuate Earth" Posting it here as it is kinda related to the game and might give you guys some inspiration as well :)
    Thanks! checking it out now.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    @elodea
    'cause according to the rest of the world we are only a desert with 500 people on it. (someone elses words!)
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks like it would make an awsome game, It a kind of game I have always wanted to see out there