Remove cysts and power nodes.

CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
I won't make this lengthy, but I will state my idea, reasoning, and why it's a better option.

Remove cysts, and enable shifts, shades, whips, crags, and res nodes to expand the infestation/Creep
Dynamic infestation now provides a bonus to nearby lifeforms based on the infestations source. IE: Crag creep will provide a slight health regeneration increase, shift will provide slight attack speed or movement speed, etc. Resource node creep provides no bonus but spreads infestation FASTER.

Remove power nodes as they are. Introduce generators. Generators are cumbersome and function the same as power nodes. Marine RTs no longer require power nodes to function.

Generators provide an innate regeneration of armor at a slow rate, and power phase gates, turrets, and armories. Sentry battery is removed. Generators can be carried by a single marine, however his movement speed is reduced, and can still fire as normally. There is a visual indication of a generator being carried, so the aliens may react.

I feel this better fosters the design choice of having borders that are clearly present for players, but also provides a fun factor that cysts and power nodes do not currently have. Resource costs and specifics are not provided due to balancing. This would enable much more strategic options for play, and it would also more clearly define borders. They would also encourage the aliens to defend objects spreading the creep, and it would also promote the marines to protect the generator for establishing outposts.

Comments

• sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    no, its a stupid idea because this idea will completely change the game mechanics
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062711:date=Jan 18 2013, 11:18 AM:name=sHawke_Native)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sHawke_Native @ Jan 18 2013, 11:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062711"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->no, its a stupid idea because this idea will completely change the game mechanics<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for your "opinion"
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Suggestions quite similar to these pop up every now and then. Instead of giving you my opinion on the matter, I'm going to ask you questions! How do you propose to solve the following issues:

1. Infestation is required for RT's/Hives. How do you make sure aliens have a means to spread the infestation far/fast enough to expand? Normal structures are quite an investment.
    2. What is a structure is destroyed? The infestation chain will be broken. Do all structures along the line just slowly die, as it currently works with cysts? Again, a huge problem to solve if a team is low on resources.

Generator related:
    1. What about the lights? When do they go on/off?
    2. How will the generator be balanced? What radius, health etc. - since it can be placed anywhere in a room, it could be hidden in tough spots. Do you want to impse a max. number per room/radius?
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062721:date=Jan 18 2013, 09:51 AM:name=CommunistWithAGun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CommunistWithAGun @ Jan 18 2013, 09:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062721"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for your "opinion"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    your welcome
  • StriderNS2StriderNS2 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062711:date=Jan 18 2013, 09:18 AM:name=sHawke_Native)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sHawke_Native @ Jan 18 2013, 09:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062711"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->no, its a stupid idea because this idea will completely change the game mechanics<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry but cysts and power nodes completely changed the game mechanics of NS1. lolz

I'm with you on getting rid of it. It seriously limits competitive strategy and hinders gameplay. It's a bother more than anything.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    What's the problem with power nodes, the preset locations or the fact that killing them disables a base? Killing them is a VERY important part of current game strategy, without which it may actually be impossible to beat marines with certain strategies. As for placing them, would it help if there were a number of possible locations per room, or a stip of approved area to place the node in each room? I still think they have to be pre-approved so that the marine comm can't find some tricky spot that can't be reached.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    How is killing the powernode a strategy? It is the one thing that always ends the game when the aliens win.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    A large majority of us hate it but sadly it is here to stay
    <!--quoteo(post=2063073:date=Jan 18 2013, 11:26 PM:name=bERt0r)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bERt0r @ Jan 18 2013, 11:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063073"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How is killing the powernode a strategy? It is the one thing that always ends the game when the aliens win.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because short of every single alien going onos it's the only thing that CAN end the game later on. There should not be ANY change that encourages even longer marine turtles.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    That still doesn't make it a strategy. It might be the goal of a strategy to kill the powernode. A strategy is a way of achieving your goals.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    I actually like how the game gives clear 'borders' between the two sides. Makes it easier for newbies to understand.

I am all for reducing the impact of power nodes (down to just affecting lights), and cysts (down to cysts only giving bonuses when connected, but everything produces creep), but I do like their presence.
    <!--quoteo(post=2063129:date=Jan 19 2013, 05:16 AM:name=bERt0r)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bERt0r @ Jan 19 2013, 05:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2063129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That still doesn't make it a strategy. It might be the goal of a strategy to kill the powernode. A strategy is a way of achieving your goals.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The goal is to win the game, killing the power node is part of the strategy for doing so. Killing the power node is not the goal, it is not the win condition by itself.