Why not make exo's modular?

thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
edited January 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Just a thought that occured to me.

Instead of entirely different exo suits, why not have one exo suit that can be differently equiped?
Perhaps better explained by example.

To buy an exo, you always buy the single minigun exo, 50 pres.

If you want duals, you buy a secons minigun for an additional 25 pres.
for rail gun, get railgun upgrade for XXX pres, replace minigun.
likewise for dual rail gun.

With this method we may see some earlier exo play because people can come back to upgrade. Also, since the comm can only drop single exos, they are worthwile because players can then upgrade them.

thoughts?

also, inb4 jetpacksn00b!!!! (yes, JP before exo every time)

Comments

• ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    I like the suggestion.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited January 2013
    Suggested it long ago, even had it on Google Moderator. But that seems to be down now for whatever reason.
    Never got any dev input on it, but about 50 people like the idea…
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2062387:date=Jan 18 2013, 05:20 AM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Jan 18 2013, 05:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062387"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->also, inb4 jetpacksn00b!!!! (yes, JP before exo every time)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    *rages inwardly at the elitist-disclaimer regardless of 99% of games happening in pub*
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062395:date=Jan 17 2013, 10:31 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Jan 17 2013, 10:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062395"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*rages inwardly at the elitist-disclaimer regardless of 99% of games happening in pub*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Elitist?? Lol. I'm a 100% pubber. Prolly should try a PUG or gather soon though.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Please mods, delete this thread, don't phase it. Unless you provide some punishment for people posting suggestions in the wrong forum, they will continue to do it and just allow you to do the work to move it to where it belongs.
    <!--quoteo(post=2062424:date=Jan 17 2013, 11:49 PM:name=|strofix|)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (|strofix| @ Jan 17 2013, 11:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062424"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please mods, delete this thread, don't phase it. Unless you provide some punishment for people posting suggestions in the wrong forum, they will continue to do it and just allow you to do the work to move it to where it belongs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hey strofix, thanks for your input. I put this here because I thought that a <b>general disscussion</b> with the community would be a good way to understand why the exo is the way it is, and if this could be a good idea to improve upon.. I agree, this is damn near a suggestion. It clearly is by your standards. For me however, I prefer to discuss fledgling ideas with as many people as possible. I prefer not to submit a fuzzy half-idea to I&S. I was hoping to get more input from people so that pros and cons could be formed. have people point out things that I didn't think about.

Besides, you seem new here, so I'll let you in on a little secert. I&S is where ideas and suggestions go to die. Its a shame really.
  • KilledByDeathKilledByDeath Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176308Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah I thought of this too. Like let a Single Exo hit B and pick an upgrade, then have a Marine w/ Welder or a Mac "build" him for a bit and bam, double exo/railgun exo/bazooka exo or whatever.

Although, maybe it should cost more to buy a single and upgrade it then just saving up for the double. Like make an upgrade cost 35-ish pres, that way saving up 75 pres is still something that gets rewarded.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2062496:date=Jan 18 2013, 02:52 AM:name=KilledByDeath)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KilledByDeath @ Jan 18 2013, 02:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah I thought of this too. Like let a Single Exo hit B and pick an upgrade, then have a Marine w/ Welder or a Mac "build" him for a bit and bam, double exo/railgun exo/bazooka exo or whatever.

Although, maybe it should cost more to buy a single and upgrade it then just saving up for the double. Like make an upgrade cost 35-ish pres, that way saving up 75 pres is still something that gets rewarded.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think that would work. Wasting 50 pres on a one armed gun exo is a punishment in itself. You know what people will do if the upgrade cost is increased? Wait until they have res to spend 75 pres instead of wasting 10 more precious pres.

Besides anyone saving that much res for something that is not even that useful instead of spending it on say a shotgun or jetpack is not helping at all. I would prefer they get rid of the 75 pres exo and mix and match the rest through upgrades that cost 25 pres. So you could go dual whatever later and not be penalized for helping out the team earlier while everyone else just saves and buys nothing.

I doubt they will focus attention on the exo though. They have other priorities to balance and right now the exo is not very useful even if you could mix and match. Would like to see it addressed in the future though.
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
    Sounds alot like aliens who either have the option to wait for more res and get a higher lifeform, (lerk - fade, or fade - onos) or help out the team earlier. Both have their tradeoffs.

I'm not saying marines can't get somekind of upgrade feature though in case of EXOs.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062489:date=Jan 18 2013, 09:20 AM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Jan 18 2013, 09:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062489"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey strofix, thanks for your input. I put this here because I thought that a <b>general disscussion</b> with the community would be a good way to understand why the exo is the way it is, and if this could be a good idea to improve upon.. I agree, this is damn near a suggestion. It clearly is by your standards. For me however, I prefer to discuss fledgling ideas with as many people as possible. I prefer not to submit a fuzzy half-idea to I&S. I was hoping to get more input from people so that pros and cons could be formed. have people point out things that I didn't think about.

Besides, you seem new here, so I'll let you in on a little secert. I&S is where ideas and suggestions go to die. Its a shame really.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll let you in on a secret; no matter how you want to try and dress this up as something else, it won't work. Its a suggestion through and through. Even the topic name is a direct suggestion. And then at the end of your suggestive post you put a little "what do you think lol?" disclaimer? That doesn't change anything.

And the reason suggestions go there to die is because the vast majority of people do not care about suggestions. That is because to properly consider a suggestion you may weigh the pros and cons, think of alternate solution, think of the gameplay impact etc, which people don't want to have to do all the time. It is also quite obviously the forum the devs will go to to look for suggestions, if they ever do. By posting it here you are effectively saying that you don't really want it in the game, you just want lots and lots of people to see that "i<b>ts me who came up with this idea everyone! meeeeee!</b>".

Please delete the thread mods.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    The only problem I have is with the one armed fist exo. If people are actually saving for this thing they are not really helping out compared to a good old shotty and jetpacks. Aliens who save for higher lifeforms can potentially shift the game. Fades in comparison are very useful and can shut down teams if used properly even if the lerk/gorge is skipped. A 50 pres exo is not a good investment and does not even have enough firepower and mobility to justify it's cost. Well at least in my opinion.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    That might be how it was originally supposed to work, that's how the NS2 art book describes it. There may be a good chance they take the chance to rework the exo and will make it like that in the big patch since it has the exo railgun.
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    so when do we get to build our own gundams and armored cores?
  • PampelmusePampelmuse Join Date: 2005-04-06 Member: 47641Members
    Actually this idea is known to the devs, as this was the intended way to implement exo's.
    It just seems is not easy to implement, and is not a very high priority. At least until now, when there will be more than just one weapon system that can be chosen
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2062412:date=Jan 18 2013, 06:26 AM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Jan 18 2013, 06:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Elitist?? Lol. I'm a 100% pubber. Prolly should try a PUG or gather soon though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I know - that's why you shouldn't give in to silly-elitist rules like "jp's first", because exos are just fine in pubs.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Aren't railgun exos coming at the end of the month? Does anyone know how these will be implemented? It seems like they should really have the modularity sorted out before adding something that practically BEGS for it :/
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited January 2013
    Oh, I would <b>so</b> love to be able to customize the exo "mechwarrior style". 10 more PRes for a little extra armor, 5 more pres to add some fuel to the jumpjets, 15 pres for an activated weaker version of the nanoshield... <b>so</b> many possibilities there!

Probably just a pipe-dream though. ;)

<!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro--><sup>Phased to I&S.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></sup>
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Sounds interesting
  • KilledByDeathKilledByDeath Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176308Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2062501:date=Jan 18 2013, 01:01 AM:name=YMICrazy502)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (YMICrazy502 @ Jan 18 2013, 01:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062501"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think that would work. Wasting 50 pres on a one armed gun exo is a punishment in itself. You know what people will do if the upgrade cost is increased? Wait until they have res to spend 75 pres instead of wasting 10 more precious pres.

Besides anyone saving that much res for something that is not even that useful instead of spending it on say a shotgun or jetpack is not helping at all. I would prefer they get rid of the 75 pres exo and mix and match the rest through upgrades that cost 25 pres. So you could go dual whatever later and not be penalized for helping out the team earlier while everyone else just saves and buys nothing.

I doubt they will focus attention on the exo though. They have other priorities to balance and right now the exo is not very useful even if you could mix and match. Would like to see it addressed in the future though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Honestly upgrading like this would be there mostly to give Commanders a reason to drop Single Exos. That way someone buying Jetpacks and Primaries can still get Double'd Up if his Commander drops a Single Suit for him.
    <!--quoteo(post=2062509:date=Jan 18 2013, 04:27 AM:name=|strofix|)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (|strofix| @ Jan 18 2013, 04:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062509"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll let you in on a secret; no matter how you want to try and dress this up as something else, it won't work. Its a suggestion through and through. Even the topic name is a direct suggestion. And then at the end of your suggestive post you put a little "what do you think lol?" disclaimer? That doesn't change anything.

And the reason suggestions go there to die is because the vast majority of people do not care about suggestions. That is because to properly consider a suggestion you may weigh the pros and cons, think of alternate solution, think of the gameplay impact etc, which people don't want to have to do all the time. It is also quite obviously the forum the devs will go to to look for suggestions, if they ever do. By posting it here you are effectively saying that you don't really want it in the game, you just want lots and lots of people to see that "i<b>ts me who came up with this idea everyone! meeeeee!</b>".

Please delete the thread mods.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ok Strofix, you got me. I dont really care about NS2 and want the game to be as good as it can be. I just want your attention. ###### it, actually responding to this is a catch 22. I'll make sure not to offend your sensitivities in the future.
  • nikodimus86nikodimus86 Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163188Members
    This is a good idea, cause in most plays (public ones) we just skip exo with a fist and go for the one with dual miniguns.
  • NikolaiLevNikolaiLev Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165658Members
    This is an <i>excellent</i> idea and would help raise the viability of an Exosuit strategy, as well as Exos in general.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    If this makes it possible to have a somewhat faster moving double bro-fist EXO, I'm in!
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    I am with you on that Kouji, You and I can Brofist together. I would love a faster 2x Fister.
  • ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members
    Exos should be customizable, same as Marine load-outs are.

You buy a double fist Exo for 25 pres. Then, at a Proto Lab you can equip it with weapons of your choosing for 25 pres a piece. Mininguns, Railguns, maybe a heavy Welder.

One can always dream...
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062501:date=Jan 18 2013, 12:01 AM:name=YMICrazy502)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (YMICrazy502 @ Jan 18 2013, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062501"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think that would work. Wasting 50 pres on a one armed gun exo is a punishment in itself. You know what people will do if the upgrade cost is increased? Wait until they have res to spend 75 pres instead of wasting 10 more precious pres.

I doubt they will focus attention on the exo though. They have other priorities to balance and right now the exo is not very useful even if you could mix and match. Would like to see it addressed in the future though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Properly balancing Exos should probably be pretty high on the priority list right now, at least if the devs agree they "aren't very useful". Being able to mix and match would probably be one possible step in helping to balance them.
  • kespeckespec Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172279Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062509:date=Jan 18 2013, 02:27 AM:name=|strofix|)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (|strofix| @ Jan 18 2013, 02:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062509"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll let you in on a secret; no matter how you want to try and dress this up as something else, it won't work. Its a suggestion through and through. Even the topic name is a direct suggestion. And then at the end of your suggestive post you put a little "what do you think lol?" disclaimer? That doesn't change anything.

Please delete the thread mods.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

whats up with all those aggressiveness, are you a lol player?
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2062875:date=Jan 18 2013, 02:24 PM:name=Paragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paragon @ Jan 18 2013, 02:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062875"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Exos should be customizable, same as Marine load-outs are.

You buy a double fist Exo for 25 pres. Then, at a Proto Lab you can equip it with weapons of your choosing for 25 pres a piece. Mininguns, Railguns, maybe a heavy Welder.

One can always dream...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This x100
  • Arkahm719Arkahm719 Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151988Members
    Plus this helps in late game if you invested in mines and shotguns etc, i only have 25 pres comm drops exo and now you can enjoy everything the marines have to offer.

the heavy welder would be great so exos could build but i see it not happening so exos cant weld each other even though that would help tremendously.

and does anyone else think jetpacks should be limited to one chair and keep exos at 2? i have always thought that seeing that you can get fade and onos with one hive why cant i atleast have my jp with one chair!
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Heavy welder would be awesome, however due to exos welding eachother maybe make it a large blue flame that doubles as a powerful flamethrower, and heals exos only at 1.5x welder heal rate or something, and make it a double-hand requiring weapon (i.e. you can only have ex. welder, no other guns on the same exo).

Also... 15 pres 'jetpack' for Exo, allows it to hoverdash? Like, dash a few meters very close to the ground with shift, and maybe gives it more vertical mobility with Jump, allowing it to float slowly a couple of meters up into the air. Just imagine the possibilities!

All I can say is exos need ALOT more than just the railgun to make them a) as cool as they deserve to be, and b) even worth buying in a serious game.