Trolling people on marine

littleevilwolflittleevilwolf Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180231Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">:\ people are trying to be trolls on marines</div>ok i been playing a lots of the game since the Xmas sale of the game when i got it. and recently there have been issues when i get on marines, or play as aliens. the problem is that since marine are able to "recycle" any building they have on the map. the issues is like the base is getting hit with a skulk or 2 and u are commanding u pop out to kill them cause none of the team is there and no need to beacon. while u r doing this any random player can step in the command station and just recycle everything on the map. the odds of this happen when u have more command stations. like last night i was playing on a server commanding a gorge was bile bombing alone i went to take it out. turns out a skulk was with it died. a guy got into the command station and i was like ok u can command if u want not caring. next thing i know i hear the recycling noises. we held 3 command stations and a millisecond later we had nothing.

so is there a way you people of the game can add something to minimize this from happening cause there are many "trolls" (want-to-be trolls) out there doing this.

it kinda ruins the game :\

please comment on this about your experience with thing similar to this or post your opinion on the subject.

-LittleEvilWolf
(just wanting a better gaming experience)

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The only thing you can really do is eject as fast as possible, you can't really stop people getting in the chair hoping they're a troll.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Childish people.... Scratch that, children know better. I hope that a solution appears soon.
  • troopstroops Wales Join Date: 2003-02-17 Member: 13664Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm not sure if this is in a mod already but i hope to see some sort of vote to kick function implemented in NS2 someday.
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    Would be nice if there were a delay before a new person could jump into the chair. Obviously would not apply to ejections and the current commander could wave the timer if they choose to.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Make note of the person's name and try to match it with their Steam profile (in Steam, click View -> Players, or bring up the overlay in-game and select Players).

After that, find and contact the server admin and give them the details. The rest is up to them. Don't post any names here on the forum.
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2062237:date=Jan 17 2013, 09:05 PM:name=ugly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ugly @ Jan 17 2013, 09:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062237"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure if this is in a mod already but i hope to see some sort of vote to kick function implemented in NS2 someday.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Press X and then click "Eject <name of commander>" at the top. If 50% of the team do it he is kicked. Game's generally over by then though. The only hope is that there is an admin on.

It would probably be a good idea if the player who was ejected became banned from commanding for x hours. If he/she got kicked it's probably safe to assume that he/she is a troll.

Alternatively NS2 could employ the method used in Empires (HL2 mod) where you put yourself up for election at the start of the round and the team votes for a commander. This has its drawbacks though: people tend to vote for the same person.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2062240:date=Jan 18 2013, 08:09 AM:name=Azaral)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azaral @ Jan 18 2013, 08:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062240"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would be nice if there were a delay before a new person could jump into the chair. Obviously would not apply to ejections and the current commander could wave the timer if they choose to.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unfortunately sometimes you NEED someone to jump in the chair immediately to drop an ip or something.
  • Not SureNot Sure Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177758Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062360:date=Jan 17 2013, 08:45 PM:name=Ghosthree3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ghosthree3 @ Jan 17 2013, 08:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062360"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unfortunately sometimes you NEED someone to jump in the chair immediately to drop an ip or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you need to drop 15 of your starting res on a second IP just to survive the first few minutes, you're probably gonna lose.

Honestly for marines you don't need someone in the chair until the first group reaches an RT. Aliens is another story..
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Votekick is the only solution for trolling on UWE servers. Devs are yet to reveal where they stand on votekick.

Other than that, play on private servers. Atleast in EU there's plenty. Private servers have admins, admin permbans trolls without a warning.

I've bumped into 2 trolls during +500 hrs of gameplay though. NS2 allows you to troll you team effectively, but only for a short period of time. Game ends, everyone is mad, a new game starts and then you have to wait +10min to get another chance to troll. Trolls have sh*tty patience so they tire quickly.
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2062402:date=Jan 18 2013, 02:47 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Jan 18 2013, 02:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062402"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Votekick is the only solution for trolling on UWE servers. Devs are yet to reveal where they stand on votekick.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

vote kick can be easily exploited by trolls themselves. They can just get like 4-5 of their friends all join the same server and try to kick everybody. I've seen trolls do that with their friends and eject all the commanders.

The only real solutions is to have community admins to moderate these servers.
  • billetbillet Join Date: 2012-10-02 Member: 161318Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Honestly for marines you don't need someone in the chair until the first group reaches an RT<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

By the time my marines get to an RT the armoury is built and I have dropped the OBS.......and by the time the RTs are built phase tech is on the way.
    I dont think this kind of trolling is common to be honest, I have well over 600 hours and only seen it once.
    <!--quoteo(post=2062394:date=Jan 18 2013, 02:29 PM:name=Not Sure)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Not Sure @ Jan 18 2013, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062394"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you need to drop 15 of your starting res on a second IP just to survive the first few minutes, you're probably gonna lose.

Honestly for marines you don't need someone in the chair until the first group reaches an RT. Aliens is another story..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because that's the ONLY time you need an IP dropped fast, you NEVER have to jump in the chair and drop an IP in a second base, or similar situation, EVER, no sir.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Solution?

If a commander is ejected, any buildings they have recycled in the last X seconds are instantly redropped in the same spot - fully built. Pick a reasonable time, say the last 2 minutes?

So all that has to happen is that the marines need to survive long enough to eject the troll. Once ejected the recycle is reversed, and gameplay continues.
  • billetbillet Join Date: 2012-10-02 Member: 161318Members
    Aliens rush nano, you recycle everything, marines clear nano, un-recycle within 2 mins, all structures back untouched....I dont think so.
    Its fine the way it is.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited January 2013
    my own rule is never get out of the command chair let the marines do the shooting. always save res for an emergency beacon and beacon if nobody is in response range.

then you never risk someone jumping in the cc and deleting ######.

as an alien commander however this is often a problem, for example jumpnig out the hive to heal another hive up to full as gorge, some idiot jumps in a hive and researches spores over bilebomb becuase he happens to be a lerk or he does a shade hive on the hive you jsut healed up when you need a crag etc.. or theres marines pushing forward with gl you jump out of a hive to kill a marine attacking your upgrades, random idiot jumps in starts researching blink meanwhile your other hive is getting hit by grenades and you lost your whip already and have no res to place more whips becuase he jsut psent it on blink and wont get out the command chair until its researched.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062394:date=Jan 17 2013, 10:29 PM:name=Not Sure)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Not Sure @ Jan 17 2013, 10:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062394"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you need to drop 15 of your starting res on a second IP just to survive the first few minutes, you're probably gonna lose.

Honestly for marines you don't need someone in the chair until the first group reaches an RT. Aliens is another story..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I beleive he was refering to emergency situations. Such as a pitched base battle late game, comm gets out to help and gets killed along with the IPs. Random marine is needed to get in CC to drop new IPs.

<!--quoteo(post=2062428:date=Jan 17 2013, 11:54 PM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Jan 17 2013, 11:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062428"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Solution?

If a commander is ejected, any buildings they have recycled in the last X seconds are instantly redropped in the same spot - fully built. Pick a reasonable time, say the last 2 minutes?

So all that has to happen is that the marines need to survive long enough to eject the troll. Once ejected the recycle is reversed, and gameplay continues.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bizzare solution, from a gameplay and feaseibility standpoint, I would guess no. Imagine, during that 2 minutes, the aliens drop a hive and RT where one of themarine bases was. Its just not gonna work man.

<!--quoteo(post=2062471:date=Jan 18 2013, 01:29 AM:name=deathshroud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (deathshroud @ Jan 18 2013, 01:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->my own rule is never get out of the command chair let the marines do the shooting. always save res for an emergency beacon and beacon if nobody is in response range.

then you never risk someone jumping in the cc and deleting ######.

as an alien commander however this is often a problem, for example jumpnig out the hive to heal another hive up to full as gorge, some idiot jumps in a hive and researches spores over bilebomb becuase he happens to be a lerk or he does a shade hive on the hive you jsut healed up when you need a crag etc.. or theres marines pushing forward with gl you jump out of a hive to kill a marine attacking your upgrades, random idiot jumps in starts researching blink meanwhile your other hive is getting hit by grenades and you lost your whip already and have no res to place more whips becuase he jsut psent it on blink and wont get out the command chair until its researched.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It has its risks, but generally a combat commander is the best way to go. Dont be afraid to leave the Hive/CC.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=2062470:date=Jan 18 2013, 03:22 AM:name=billet)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (billet @ Jan 18 2013, 03:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062470"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens rush nano, you recycle everything, marines clear nano, un-recycle within 2 mins, all structures back untouched....I dont think so.
    Its fine the way it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Ummm, no. We're talking BASE recycling here. As in IPs, armory, proto lab, obs, etc. Losing some RTs is not a hardship. Even with the few res you lose on the recycle, you can redrop. Rebuilding a base is a different story. Also, this would have to involve an ejection, so a comm wouldn't be able to use this tactically since he wouldn't be able to re-enter the comm chair.

Also, many of these trolls will spam structures to spend any res left over, which is another issue this will fix.

For any possible exploitation I'm sure we can find a solution. The point is - as it stands the game is over anyway. Why not provide a way to recover?
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    Aww come on. Yeah, some people on this planet are idiots. So what? Haven't life told you how to deal with it? Stop exaggerating a small problem. There are more than one way to deal with such a situation for you already. Every other thing would just gimp the core game play of NS2. And for what? Just because you are to die-hard to simply change the server? It's not like NS2 is flooded with trolls. There is more than one server. Change it. Simple as that.

Some people need to accept, that trolling will always be possible. There is no un-troll-able game. And all you can do, is to destroy the fun and gameplay for 99% of the servers without trolls if you demand such not-thought-out ideas like re-recycling or fixed coms.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Yup, Savant's solution is obviously problematic and insufficient even after only a cursory glance. This kind of thing is best dealt with by admins, not by arbitrary mechanics.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd add that yes, it happens but not very frequently at all.

Probably the best thing is to ensure you communicate with your team (use your mic!) and get teamplay going. If a troll or pair of trolls does happen to join the server and cause problems -> admin or new server time.

You'll generally find that adminned servers have great levels of teamplay and community spirit. Trolls don't last long there!
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    You make any vote public and and show the people voting and put a timer on it, like 10-15 seconds it pops up "X has started a vote to eject commander" and use the X menu to pop up the yes/no options so it doesn't disrupt game play, list players voting yes/no in the chat/console to team say.

Make vote concede and eject comm the same way, cuts trolling down in a huge way because half the appeal of pulling ###### like this is "no one noes LEOELEOELOLOLO I didn't eject guys I swear".

This ###### was never a problem a NS1.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2062428:date=Jan 17 2013, 08:54 PM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Jan 17 2013, 08:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062428"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Solution?

So all that has to happen is that the marines need to survive long enough to eject the troll. Once ejected the recycle is reversed, and gameplay continues.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is potentially exploitable.

Unprepared for a particular alien push? Just recycle that secondary base, and when the aliens move on, have your team eject you.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2062413:date=Jan 18 2013, 06:28 AM:name=Amb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Amb @ Jan 18 2013, 06:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062413"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->vote kick can be easily exploited by trolls themselves. They can just get like 4-5 of their friends all join the same server and try to kick everybody. I've seen trolls do that with their friends and eject all the commanders.

The only real solutions is to have community admins to moderate these servers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, no, no, no, no.

No.

No, no no.

For the umpteenth time, this argument does not hold water. If you're on a server that has a troll majority, you've already lost, no matter if there's an admin in the game, if there's a bunch of trolls dedicated to ruin the server THEY WILL no matter what - they'll just not tell you they're trolls and play horribly to ruin your day.

You should just deal with it and leave server.

This RARE OCCURENCE that I've NEVER SEEN HAPPEN is NO EXCUSE for not allowing people to kick the much more common 1 person troll.

Votekick works, and has worked in countless games before. It will work for NS2.
  • TroubleshooterTroubleshooter Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171559Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2062620:date=Jan 18 2013, 03:34 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Jan 18 2013, 03:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2062620"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, no, no, no, no.

No.

No, no no.

For the umpteenth time, this argument does not hold water. If you're on a server that has a troll majority, you've already lost, no matter if there's an admin in the game, if there's a bunch of trolls dedicated to ruin the server THEY WILL no matter what - they'll just not tell you they're trolls and play horribly to ruin your day.

You should just deal with it and leave server.

This RARE OCCURENCE that I've NEVER SEEN HAPPEN is NO EXCUSE for not allowing people to kick the much more common 1 person troll.

Votekick works, and has worked in countless games before. It will work for NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you set the bar sufficiently high, you can make it work. If you set it too low, you invite the worst kind of trolling with is to get normal players stuck on some kind of ban list.

Active admins are the solution only in cases where someone is on the server and paying close attention to what's going on.

In the end, trolls gonna troll... you can't give them new tools to troll with, but you can punish them easily enough. The game already records lots of metrics... how about UWE put in a metric that tracks a players time in the command chair vs. the number of resources they spend/recycle and simply put a "hold" on their account's ability to command after they hit some limit.

If the com has been in the chair for 98% of the game, they should be able to recycle 98% of the infrastructure or spend 100% of the T-res as needed. Some troll jumping in a vacant chair should be allowed to recycle 2% of the infrastructure and spend only 2% of the T-Res on temporary things like med-packs and ammo with those %'s growing rapidly while they remain in the chair. Someone jumping in and trying to build an IP would be fine, its not temporary and requires the team to "consent" to it by actually building it, but spamming scans would be off limits until the new com had built up some time in the chair.

Also, vote-eject should have a "sticky" option for problem children. If you have a persistent troll (I've run into one so far) it would be nice to have an auto-eject feature where your vote tracks them for the duration of their time on the server on either team but have the "sticky" vote degrade over time. That way they can't just get ejected from one team, pop over to the other team, and immediately start trying to troll from that side. If 2 people vote to eject you in one game, then on the next game you should start with 1 vote against you already, and the following game .5 votes.

Lastly, you could have a publicly visible record of the number of votes you've had against you over the last 24 hours so that you can't server hop without people seeing you join with a trail of trolling behind you. One "star" next to your name for every game you finished with more than one vote against you might help combat dedicated trolls...

Dunno... in the end, trolls will be trolls. At least they are not hacking and calling everyone noobs ;)
  • littleevilwolflittleevilwolf Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180231Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    ok :\ people no need to fight about it, i was on a "Private" server a admin was on yes he got banned. during my time of playing this game i have seen this happen 5 times by different people. i only made this post for 2 reasons.

1. is to notify everyone there r these "trolls" out there doing this i'm one of those commanders, if there is 1 person in the base ill pop out and kill it no problem.

2. is if a maker of the game saw this and decided to add a fail safe that would help the game to prevent this from happening and ruining the game.

i was tired of seeing this, tho rare it is happening and its doesn't make for a fair game. and the team tried to eject him, but cause we didn't know that he did that till we were all dead soooo. yea.. this post is just to warn u when playing on marines, no matter if u talk to them or not they may be trying to sneak in and ruin the game/ server/fun of the game.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Just had a troll ALIEN comm, maybe more of a double-agent type cheater than a troll. Game on tram, bases in server (alien) and warehouse (marine). He jumps in comm at the start of the map, instantly drops a hive in repair and before the marines even finish killing it hes on their team.
  • beyond.wudgebeyond.wudge Join Date: 2012-10-19 Member: 162731Members
    edited January 2013
    Let's clarify. These guys aren't trolls, they are tools.

Trolls don't ruin things, they just provoke people.

Recycling important buildings makes you a tool because you are pretty much ruining the game <b>regardless of how people react to it</b>.

Trolls can be very helpful to developing a fun and enjoyable gaming culture. Tools are a different kettle of fish.