NSL/Comp Summit/Tram/Veil/Descent

Comments

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited February 2013
    I want to do the same with tram and veil...
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Mendasp wrote: »

Do it mate :) Then I don't need to ambient mod ;) Summit is great map (best map right now in my opinion) but you should tweak flight control area a little bit... Alien starting hive is little too weak if marines get sub acces start.. It's too open to shoot rt/hive/eggs/maybe chambers and pretty easy to defend.. With this tweak, random spawns are okay

• MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    A wonderful feature for this would be "Competitive Only" and "Disable for Competitive" options on relevant entities; with similar options for initial tech points.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Mige wrote: »

Do it mate :) Then I don't need to ambient mod ;) Summit is great map (best map right now in my opinion) but you should tweak flight control area a little bit... Alien starting hive is little too weak if marines get sub acces start.. It's too open to shoot rt/hive/eggs/maybe chambers and pretty easy to defend.. With this tweak, random spawns are okay
    Yes, I know, I've considered solutions and will test them (greyboxed) in due time through the workshop or otherwise...
    Just published tram.

One curious thing you might notice. You may think that some areas (like the north/south tunnels) are brighter, but in fact, all I did was delete all lighting and leave the base lights intact -- what this does is reduce the contrast and give the impression of it being brighter, it may make it easier to see enemies without the extra lighting. I'd appreciate feedback on this...

NSL Tram mod ID: 7741098 - Link
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I like the NSL version of summit, it was so nice to not be able to hear any ambient sounds lol. I'm about to try the tram one :P
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Not sure if missing wall at platform on tram was intentional. Think the ladder is broken also ?
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    eeehehe mendasp: http://i.imgur.com/l22Ps8x.jpg

some spots in tram are like...too dark? maybe it's just me. seems overly dreary and dim though.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited February 2013
    Scatter wrote: »
    Not sure if missing wall at platform on tram was intentional. Think the ladder is broken also ?
    it's better for competitive play because it adds a component of skill to be able to walljump out of the map and back in

played it today - excellent work again. it's instantly noticeable walking into Logistics or South Tunnels. especially South Tunnels is huge - I went from 40 average to 110 average!

although, I believe it may be a bit too dark in Hub.
  • BarbetosBarbetos Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73209Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I want to use this, but my first impression is to stay away. Would these versions be supported by leagues?
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Good work mendasp on tram except for north tunnels' wall. You deleted so many lights that a wall is missing :P
    Make the lights brighter in hub?
    edited February 2013
    Awesome! The original map has that wall assigned to the same layer as "Sounds and reverbs", so when I deleted the sounds, it deleted the wall...

I'll also make adjustments to hub later today and publish an update (with the wall in north tunnels/platform!)

Edit: I just fixed the issues -- the wall in platform is there again and I restored a few lights to Hub, hopefully the lighting feels better this time, let me know if you still want it tweaked further.

PS: 1100 lights deleted from the map, gg. In summit it was close to 700.
  • WildChickenWildChicken Join Date: 2004-08-25 Member: 30891Members, Constellation
    Barbetos wrote: »
    I want to use this, but my first impression is to stay away. Would these versions be supported by leagues?

We (Hg) are big supporters of Mendasps work, and will do our part to get nsl_summit on the ENSL list, at least!

• GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members

We (Hg) are big supporters of Mendasps work, and will do our part to get nsl_summit on the ENSL list, at least!

it is already on the list lolololol xD
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2013
    Yes, I got mendasp to name them after the "NSL" - a regional split league we are running on ensl.org ;)
    They will be used for season 2.
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    Great work indeed.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    Excellent job with the maps. Props up
  • WildChickenWildChicken Join Date: 2004-08-25 Member: 30891Members, Constellation
    Gamerkatze wrote: »

it is already on the list lolololol xD

My work here is done.
    ih1X7AI.jpg

Would this alleviate the perceived unfairness with Flight Control as aliens? In theory it adds more flanking options for aliens dealing with spawncamping marines.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    Yes thats pretty much as I imagined fixing it. Looks great. Forces marines to walk a much more dangerous route to get into position, makes the position slightly less defensible.
  • TizoTizo Join Date: 2012-12-19 Member: 175552Members
    I can't tell from the picture, but can the marines still jump onto the platform at the far end of the room, exactly in the center of the screenshot? If possible, that could still be a decent place to snipe the hive and eggs in early game rushes.

Anyway, this looks much better than the current official version of the room. Is there any chance that this change could be merged into the official map, or do you think it would be exclusive to the nsl_ version of the map?
    edited February 2013
    The only changes are the crates and the wall... not sure what you mean... if marines can still get to the RT position?

I posted here because this is the most appropriate place to talk about Summit balance, but I haven't actually implemented it anywhere (except an internal testing version of Summit), if it works it will be added to the official and the nsl summit.

The point of the nsl version is to play exactly like the official one, except with high FPS. Having vastly different versions is problematic.
  • semihandysemihandy Florida Join Date: 2012-05-24 Member: 152537Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Silver
    @Mendasp is there a reason why the NSL version couldn't end up being the official? Higher performance would be appreciated in all circles. They seem pretty much the same to me, but then again, I run the game with the lowest settings possible.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    PS: 1100 lights deleted from the map, gg. In summit it was close to 700.

In fairness though I had already gone over summits lights before you got it to do further changes.

semihandy wrote: »
    @Mendasp is there a reason why the NSL version couldn't end up being the official? Higher performance would be appreciated in all circles. They seem pretty much the same to me, but then again, I run the game with the lowest settings possible.

It looks horrible, and it will look more horrible in the future as I delete/combine more lights.
  • TizoTizo Join Date: 2012-12-19 Member: 175552Members
    The only changes are the crates and the wall... not sure what you mean... if marines can still get to the RT position?

Nevermind, I must have been thinking of another room! Now that I read your post, I remembered what the current layout is...

Are the close spawn changes also going to be merged into the official version?

You can't do it with vanilla NS2, which is why it requires a 3rd party mod.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    It would be cool to be able to record matches in this version of summit, and replay them in the fully-lit one. Maybe if the idea of specifying certain lights as tournament-only or non-tournament-only as someone else suggested would make this possible. In that case, the lights could potentially be all standard for spectators, but people in the tournament would see the tourney-lighting.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hmmmmmm there may be a way to make it so you could flag lights in the editor to not be loaded by 'players' on a map, but everyone else would.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    wiry wrote: »
    Yes, like it should be. Do you want something retarded as a map sounds deciding wether or not you hear an approaching alien/marine, and thus deciding the outcome of a battle.
    </harsh example>

Yeah, I'd think not.

While I'm not a competitive player, hell yes I would. Sounds work both ways. It also can introduce a tactical choice. "If I guard in this spot, I get great sight lines, but can't hear an enemy approach as well. If I move over there, I'll have better hearing and awareness, but might put myself at a disadvantage for shooting/ambushing."

As long as the sounds make sense, I'm down with them. Electrical humming noise in generator, sure! Random noise in an area with nothing that would generate it? I'll pass.

and yea, hive drops are loud as fuck. Don't think the comm should be able to hear them, but you can... I scout hives this way w/o spending the res on a scan to confirm.