Clientside camera of commander should have the authority over it's location

CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">and not get dictated by the server</div>A very very annoying thing that tends to happen under the circumstances of packetloss is that the commander's camera does not seem to have an actual say about what the player is looking at. When I move the camera around (either by movement keys or by clicking on the minimap) and have packetloss, the camera will snap back to it's previous location (which is probably the last known location to the server) after about half a second. Every. Single. Time.

I can still give commands and activate abilities as usual. It might be executed with some delay since the game will keep sending the command to the server until the server actually received it, but obviously I can only do that in the area that my camera is focused on. Which can be a major pain for commanding because sometimes this stalls me for 30-60 seconds in a place where I can't do anything to help my team. I piled up 70 resources easily in that time, but had no way of spending them.

The camera location, at least for commanders and spectators, should be fully client-authoritative and keep telling the server where it's currently at on the client side until the server acknowledges it, not the other way around. There simply should be no instance where the client's camera location (even if it can't show anything in that area yet because it hasn't been confirmed and replicated from the server yet) randomly snaps to a place and can't be controlled by the client anymore.

Comments

• StriderNS2StriderNS2 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175867Members
    This happens to me when commanding as well. When using the minimap to snap to a location on the map. It also takes a few seconds to load what's there. Making it so you can't drop any buildings or anything. It's quite annoying when you're trying to snap the camera to a location only to wait for the room to load.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    The loading is part of their optimization, I think. Though it would probably not hurt memory too much if the engine would just remember for the commander which of his own team's buildings are located in a place, so they can be displayed without waiting for a confirmation from the server.