Steam Box

WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
edited January 2013 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">Possible newcomer in the console wars?</div>Any Thoughts?

<div align='center'><center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FKDz-qcoU04"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FKDz-qcoU04" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKDz-qcoU04" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKDz-qcoU04</a></div>

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->- fixed the embed, this forum uses only the v= string from the URL. In this case "FKDz-qcoU04" - Kouji San<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->- removed the le, this isn't Reddit" - Zaggy<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Comments

• YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    It's just babbys first PC since most console users refuse to string together a simple PC using parts.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2059798:date=Jan 12 2013, 02:33 PM:name=YMICrazy502)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (YMICrazy502 @ Jan 12 2013, 02:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's just babbys first PC since most console users refuse to string together a simple PC using parts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So it's just an expensive toy?
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2059816:date=Jan 12 2013, 04:08 PM:name=WhiteWeasel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteWeasel @ Jan 12 2013, 04:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059816"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So it's just an expensive toy?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sort of. Take at look at one of the first steamboxs

Between 4 and 8 gigabytes of DDR3 RAM
    A quad-core 64-bit, x86-based 32nm processor running at up to 3.2GHz (with 4MB of Level2 Cache)
    An integrated graphics card containing up to 384 programmable cores

The X7A starts at $999, so Valve will likely want to reduce the RRP in line with its own specifications. The entry-level X5A, which uses Linux, starts at $499.

I do appreciate the step away from consoles as these boxes will increase in power over time and might evolve into something different. I wonder how it will go. So I cannot bash on it completely. That steambox is just one of the many models there will be out there and since there will be others I see it as a compact PC specialized for gaming. In my opinion is it just a stealth attempt to get PCs in living rooms as a replacement to consoles. I do not mind as consoles seem to be holding gaming back and if these get a large share of the market, it might start to move on again since consoles are on closed system and do the entire exclusives thing.

EDIT: I cannot find any concrete evidence but it does look like you can upgrade it. I'm having trouble finding any information though on the extent of what you can do.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2059832:date=Jan 12 2013, 04:15 PM:name=YMICrazy502)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (YMICrazy502 @ Jan 12 2013, 04:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059832"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sort of. Take at look at one of the first steamboxs

Between 4 and 8 gigabytes of DDR3 RAM
    A quad-core 64-bit, x86-based 32nm processor running at up to 3.2GHz (with 4MB of Level2 Cache)
    An integrated graphics card containing up to 384 programmable cores

The X7A starts at $999, so Valve will likely want to reduce the RRP in line with its own specifications. The entry-level X5A, which uses Linux, starts at $499.

These things cannot be modified or upgraded. If it breaks good luck fixing it yourself. Meanwhile for these prices you can get something much more powerful in just about everything.

The only advantage these things bring is that they are pre made and sort of compact so you can take them anymore but you are limited in what you can do since I doubt you can fix and replace parts yourself and upgrade them at will.

However I do appreciate the step away from consoles as these boxes will increase in power over time and might evolve into something different. I wonder how it will go. So I cannot bash on it completely. That steambox is just one of the many models there will be out there and since there will be others I see it as a compact PC specialized for gaming. In my opinion is it just a stealth attempt to get PCs in living rooms as a replacement to consoles. I do not mind as consoles seem to be holding gaming back and if these get a large share of the market, it might start to move on again since consoles are on closed system and do the entire exclusives thing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So more so an experiment that could be a home-run or strike-out idea?
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    Um, what I understood from it, they can be modified and upgraded. Isn't one of their selling-points those modular motherboards? I am doubting that they really can perform that well for a good price at that size, but it does look promising, and hopefully turns out really well.
    edited January 2013
    Exactly. Big Picture was probably made in anticipation for the steam box. There's an entire article here

<a href="http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/12/10/why-valves-steam-box-pc-console-will-be-a-game-changer/" target="_blank">http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/...a-game-changer/</a>

It's still up to the consumer in the end. They can go PS4 and or new Xbox or steambox. But you have to consider that the steam box will have an entire library of steam games in something that looks like a console. It might work Valve has always been good about taking risks and succeeding.

I also found this article interesting

<a href="http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming" target="_blank">http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/g...uture-of-gaming</a>

Well people like us will probably continue building our own PCs but I still find the whole attempt to breaking the hold MS, Sony and Nintendo have over the gaming market interesting. I mean Valve is not really trying to make it's own console it is also stimulating other companies to make their own so you got a bunch of these things floating around with different specs.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Yep. Been watching this coming for a long while now; since Valve initially put forward the idea of a Steambox, they've been moving toward making it a reality. The most recent (and highly visible) steps toward this of course are Big Picture Mode, and the closed and then open Linux betas.

At this point though, honestly enough anyone with a reasonably powerful HTPC already can/does have a Steambox. Anything that comes out of CES will just be pre-rolled hardware solutions. I for one have no intention of buying a Piston. Too small and limited to be worthwhile; I'd rather spend double (/triple/quadruple) to get a rig that can run at max-res in 3D modes with all the shinies turned up. As such, I'll just build one myself. No cut corners. No BS overheating. Ability to use off-the-shelf parts for repair in the event of a failure.

As far as the 'go back to Reddit' comments, it's due to the (unfortunately spreading) tendency of regulars there to prepend 'Le' to things at semi-random, reflected in the thread title.
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2059920:date=Jan 13 2013, 02:02 AM:name=Talesin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Talesin @ Jan 13 2013, 02:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059920"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yep. Been watching this coming for a long while now; since Valve initially put forward the idea of a Steambox, they've been moving toward making it a reality. The most recent (and highly visible) steps toward this of course are Big Picture Mode, and the closed and then open Linux betas.

At this point though, honestly enough anyone with a reasonably powerful HTPC already can/does have a Steambox. Anything that comes out of CES will just be pre-rolled hardware solutions. I for one have no intention of buying a Piston. Too small and limited to be worthwhile; I'd rather spend double (/triple/quadruple) to get a rig that can run at max-res in 3D modes with all the shinies turned up. As such, I'll just build one myself. No cut corners. No BS overheating. Ability to use off-the-shelf parts for repair in the event of a failure.

As far as the 'go back to Reddit' comments, it's due to the (unfortunately spreading) tendency of regulars there to prepend 'Le' to things at semi-random, reflected in the thread title.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm somewhat confused by this. Can how something that is supposed to be portable and discrete be too small? And as for limited, it'll run most games just fine based on the specs atm (albeit without full bells and whistles as you'd prefer), and from what Valve have been saying post announcement I strongly suspect the retail model will be a damn sight more powerful than the prototype at CES.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    You guys do realise that the Xi3 isn't the steam box right.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2059920:date=Jan 12 2013, 08:02 PM:name=Talesin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Talesin @ Jan 12 2013, 08:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059920"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As far as the 'go back to Reddit' comments, it's due to the (unfortunately spreading) tendency of regulars there to prepend 'Le' to things at semi-random, reflected in the thread title.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I just put le there 'cause is sounded french and fancy since I thought the steam box was a cool idea, i didn't know it was a bad thing.

<!--quoteo(post=2060071:date=Jan 13 2013, 08:29 AM:name=Monkfish)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkfish @ Jan 13 2013, 08:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You guys do realise that the Xi3 isn't the steam box right.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think it's more of a prototype of the concept.

<!--quoteo(post=2060039:date=Jan 13 2013, 06:25 AM:name=Aldaris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aldaris @ Jan 13 2013, 06:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm somewhat confused by this. Can how something that is supposed to be portable and discrete be too small?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't know. Really the only reason you you should get a laptop or something like this is <i>because</i> of the portability; otherwise they're not all that good because something that small is NOT going to be as powerful as a desktop for the same price.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    the Xi3 is just has valve backing/funding with big picture and steam support right out of the gate. The steam box is going to be something different.
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2060123:date=Jan 13 2013, 05:56 PM:name=WhiteWeasel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteWeasel @ Jan 13 2013, 05:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060123"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know. Really the only reason you you should get a laptop or something like this is <i>because</i> of the portability; otherwise they're not all that good because something that small is NOT going to be as powerful as a desktop for the same price.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No it won't be, but desktops are large and loud on average, i.e not something I want in my living room vaguely near my tv. And as I and Monkfish have pointed out, this is just the prototype and people are basing the price of the steam box on the Xi3. Just be expecting Valve to bring out something with more power for a lot cheaper basically.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    <!--quoteo(post=2060039:date=Jan 13 2013, 06:25 AM:name=Aldaris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aldaris @ Jan 13 2013, 06:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm somewhat confused by this. Can how something that is supposed to be portable and discrete be too small? And as for limited, it'll run most games just fine based on the specs atm (albeit without full bells and whistles as you'd prefer), and from what Valve have been saying post announcement I strongly suspect the retail model will be a damn sight more powerful than the prototype at CES.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's too small more because the smaller you go, the worse the heat envelope becomes; less space for cooling, air that is moved through has to be pushed faster, and therefore more loudly... looks like they're using a 60mm fan at most, which is going to get ridiculously loud under heavy use. Additionally, while billed as being 'upgradable', you have to buy the modules from that manufacturer, for your specific model.
    Compare that to a proper HTPC build; about the size of an original-model X360, but with 120mm fans at 800rpm (aka: almost silent) and using off-the-shelf parts that can be replaced/upgraded using completely bog-standard parts.
    I have no doubts that you could easily bring in an HTPC build under a grand that would outperform the Piston with ease, and be quieter at the same time. And about the same size as any of your other home A/V components.

...mostly as I've been pricing out parts for the last week or so on an unrelated HTPC build.

<!--quoteo(post=2060123:date=Jan 13 2013, 11:56 AM:name=WhiteWeasel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteWeasel @ Jan 13 2013, 11:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060123"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just put le there 'cause is sounded french and fancy since I thought the steam box was a cool idea, i didn't know it was a bad thing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not bad, just a Reddit-ism. Explaining the responses.
    ...though seriously, 'french and fancy'? No. Saw someone else doing it elsewhere, and decided to mimic them? Well, that's how it's spreading to other social media sites, so a lot more likely.

<!--quoteo(post=2060218:date=Jan 13 2013, 05:02 PM:name=Aldaris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aldaris @ Jan 13 2013, 05:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060218"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No it won't be, but desktops are large and loud on average, i.e not something I want in my living room vaguely near my tv. And as I and Monkfish have pointed out, this is just the prototype and people are basing the price of the steam box on the Xi3. Just be expecting Valve to bring out something with more power for a lot cheaper basically.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A standard desktop? Yeah. They aren't built to minimize the noise envelope as far as possible. But if you build with that in mind, it's more than possible to put one together that's effectively silent... and if you REALLY toss in money, can build a completely fanless unit (though that one is significantly pricier, at any given performance tier).
    I'm looking forward to seeing what Valve come up with on offer. But if it isn't good enough? Can always just make your own, with a little know-how.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks good but not sure I would be spending my money on it