Server Browser improvements

CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
edited January 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
<ul><li>Most filters should have three states.

Currently the filters work only in an on/off fashion. You can choose to hide all rookie servers from the list, but there is no state that allows rookie players to see only rookie servers.
Same for modded servers. I personally have come to a point where I don't want to play on vanilla servers anymore due to a lack of useful mods. But I can only choose to not show any modded servers at all at the moment.

.</li><li>Favourite servers should be in a separate tab.

The separate list for favourite servers would allow to have update functionality for that list without having to query the master server at all. The current server list also slows massively down to like 10 fps once it fetched about 250 server entries from the master server, until it completed the query. This would help to work around that problem.

.</li><li>The user should be able to stop the master server query prematurely.

Due to the issue mentioned above, it would be nice to stop the master server query once you found that you have all the servers you are interested in loaded in the list already.

.</li><li>Option to filter by player number.

It should be possible to specify a minimum and maximum amount of supported players for servers. Personally, I don't want to play on any servers with less than 16 players, but also not on any with more than 20. (An exception being some custom gamemodes that don't require the RTS part of the game)</li></ul>

Comments

• KazelKazel Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175939Members
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited January 2013
    <ul><li>Server history: A tab of some kind that keeps track of which servers we have recently been on. Makes setting favorites, returning to game recently left, and avoiding returning to a server you didn't like much easier.</li><li>"un"favorites: As simple as a red heart in place of the green one by clicking the button one more time with no additional modification to load order (same as a normal non-favorite server). This extremely simple feature would help to avoid re-joining servers with bad rubberbanding or other issues.</li></ul>
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    I think the most important feature for the server browser would be access to it in-game. This would allow you to tentatively search for better servers without leaving your current one.

<!--quoteo(post=2059802:date=Jan 12 2013, 12:37 PM:name=sotanaht)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sotanaht @ Jan 12 2013, 12:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059802"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><ul><li>Server history: A tab of some kind that keeps track of which servers we have recently been on. Makes setting favorites, returning to game recently left, and avoiding returning to a server you didn't like.</li></ul><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes this. You usually find you want to set a server as a favorite <b><i>after</i></b> you join it and its hard to recover which server that was without a history.
  • EldrazorEldrazor Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162982Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    All of these suggestions are great, and especially the server history, three-state filters and player number boudaries sound excellent.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2059450:date=Jan 11 2013, 06:19 PM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Jan 11 2013, 06:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><ul><li>Favourite servers should be in a separate tab.

The separate list for favourite servers would allow to have update functionality for that list without having to query the master server at all. The current server list also slows massively down to like 10 fps once it fetched about 250 server entries from the master server, until it completed the query. This would help to work around that problem.</li></ul><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Easily solved by toggling the "favorites" filter, doesn't really need an extra tab.

Also now that I think of it, server history could be accomplished by adding a column for the date and time you last played on that server. Simply sort the server list by that column to see your history, no tab required.

I still want the Unfavorites, there are too many servers I can never play on for me to keep track of on my own.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2059802:date=Jan 12 2013, 09:37 PM:name=sotanaht)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sotanaht @ Jan 12 2013, 09:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059802"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><ul><li>Server history: A tab of some kind that keeps track of which servers we have recently been on. Makes setting favorites, returning to game recently left, and avoiding returning to a server you didn't like much easier.</li></ul><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

UT2004 actually allowed to favourite a server right from the in-match menu.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    bump. Please add a history tab!