Player attributes

whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">should there be specifications?</div>The ordinary specification of a player back in NS1 were his name and maybe clantags and the constellation/admin icons. While often being called the fusion of starcraft and counterstrike NS never really gave game related attributes or stats to a player. Everytime you join a server, you have no clue about the skills and if the players know what they're doing.

So the question is: Would the NS2 player population benefit from a system that connects more specific attributes to a player?

For example, I love to keep track of how im doing in a game, so ns2stats.org is already doing a fine job on that (thank you guys!), but sadly, it's an optional server thing gathered by some admins. Also it's completely absent of the ingame experience and based on personal research.

Ingame attributes are both loved and hated, and most importantly, they should give no advantage whatsoever to actual gameplay, but to give simple information about your fellow gamers. We're left with a thin line to build on and many topics have been discussed, but what are today's possibilities on that?

Ranks/Levels/Experience points would be the first thought:

PRO:
- Intuitive display of players experience, time invested, special skills
- Helps finding the right people for the right job, e.g. experienced commander

CONTRA:
- May rob new players the chances of experience
- May have no actual representation of skill

NEUTRAL:
- Introducing a kind of hierarchy
- Takes away randomness and forces you into a category

It's no question that many players enjoy to have no clue about the populations remarks, but would there be indicators we could benefit from?

I'd love to hear other opinions on this matter.

Comments

• LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Always wanted a system like this, supporting.
  • VittuLimaVittuLima Join Date: 2012-12-25 Member: 176227Members
    Would only benefit small amount of good players to boost their egos and give them "a weapon" to bash "noobs". Would encourage K/D whoring instead of teamplay and having fun with the game and fellow players. In general better the players are, more ######s they are so this would only boost this. If u play competitive u already know ur team and their skill levels. Its not hard to make this kind of plugin to ur clans server, so i hope UWE keeps this kind of crap away from regular pub game.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2059227:date=Jan 11 2013, 11:46 AM:name=VittuLima)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VittuLima @ Jan 11 2013, 11:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059227"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would only benefit small amount of good players to boost their egos and give them "a weapon" to bash "noobs". Would encourage K/D whoring instead of teamplay and having fun with the game and fellow players. In general better the players are, more ######s they are so this would only boost this. If u play competitive u already know ur team and their skill levels. Its not hard to make this kind of plugin to ur clans server, so i hope UWE keeps this kind of crap away from regular pub game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Could include a program where you can watch a replay of your games, commanding & on the ground. The program could work like you're just spectating the game.

Personally I'd love that, that way I can check where I fcked up, what I could've done there and so on, practice.

Similar to LoLReplay, those who play League of Legends.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2059227:date=Jan 11 2013, 03:46 AM:name=VittuLima)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VittuLima @ Jan 11 2013, 03:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059227"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would only benefit small amount of good players to boost their egos and give them "a weapon" to bash "noobs". Would encourage K/D whoring instead of teamplay and having fun with the game and fellow players. In general better the players are, more ######s they are so this would only boost this. If u play competitive u already know ur team and their skill levels. Its not hard to make this kind of plugin to ur clans server, so i hope UWE keeps this kind of crap away from regular pub game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You are constraining the system to K/D etc. This is false. Those are details. A system that would built upon that would fail immedaetely. This is about, if and how players can benefit from it. It's not about going the personal play style. It's not about information that boosts your ego, but makes you more definable for a gameplay role, so you can scoop the maximum of your possibilities as player.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    Maybe another option, to go with 'Rookie', like 'Veteran'. Players can select it after losing the 'Rookie' tag.