Gauss Rifle

deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
edited January 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">new marine weapon</div>the Gauss rifle is available from the prototype lab and costs 25 resources. Its a high powered charge weapon which delivers a powerful blast of energy. High damage weapon that requires a hold down charge to fire. Longer the fire is held the more damage will be delivered when you rleease the trigger. The weapon also fires through aliens and structures hitting everything in a straight line of trajectory.

Good example of this type of weapon is the one from HL minus the Gauss jumping and fast firing alt fire.

Comments

• upperdemoonupperdemoon Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163147Members
    gonna be honest with ya, it sounds too OP to me.

And besides, EXO's are already getting railguns, which sounds similar to me.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    with having to charge to fire the fire rate would be drastically slower than a shotgun, so it might not be as OP as your thinking. Also hold the charge to long and it will kill the person firing itwhen it explodes in his hand.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    What does this bring that Marines are currently lacking?

A single shot, skill based, higher life form-counter? Marines are supposed to work together to bring down higher life forms. One Marine shouldn't be able to.

A more powerful weapon? Marines have 3 levels of offensive upgrades, shotguns and grenade launchers. Not to mention Exosuits*. Weapons 3 is already plenty powerful.

This doesn't bring anything that wouldn't be detrimental, other than "oh new toy."

No matter how: slowed the charge, scaled the output down, drawbacks implemented... in the hands of an experienced player, this would be incredibly OP. A smart Jetpacker could solo Onos, wipe out Alien harvesters and Upgrades at a much quicker pace and probably take down a Hive. If you limited the weapon enough to make it viable and not over powered, you'd have to limit it enough to make it completely ineffective. It's inherent strengths are such that they go against the grain of this game and the intended marine style of play. Too much to overcome from a balance perspective.

*Exo's are getting the rail gun. I know little about it, but I'm sure it's going to be, at least somewhat, similar.

Also, you're thinking of the "Tau Cannon", from HL1.
    ve. The depleted Uranium-235 ammunition is shared by the Gluon Gun. The Tau Cannon is also known by many as the Gauss Gun, as many of the Half-Life game files refer to the weapon as the ‘gauss’
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    No, the Exos are already getting something similar, neither do the Marines need another weapon.
    edited January 2013
    how you know they will work similarly? devs posted anything on them?

what do marines need then? another exo?

personally i see less of a need for railgun equiped exos than marines equipped with gauss rifles, once exos come out in full hives go down extremely fast already.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2058839:date=Jan 10 2013, 01:29 PM:name=deathshroud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (deathshroud @ Jan 10 2013, 01:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058839"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how you know they will work similarly? devs posted anything on them?

what do marines need then? another exo?

personally i see less of a need for railgun equiped exos than marines equipped with gauss rifles, once exos come out in full hives go down extremely fast already.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They don't need anything, lol.
    so you dont want any new content other than maps?
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2058839:date=Jan 10 2013, 07:29 AM:name=deathshroud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (deathshroud @ Jan 10 2013, 07:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058839"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how you know they will work similarly? devs posted anything on them?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> I know nothing more than you do, in that regard. Other than the fact the gun's name is "railgun" and it's going on a large weapons platform. So your guess is as good as mine.

<!--quoteo(post=2058839:date=Jan 10 2013, 07:29 AM:name=deathshroud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (deathshroud @ Jan 10 2013, 07:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058839"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what do marines need then? another exo?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Nothing off the top of my head. NS has never been about large content updates with new weapons and toys. They've added a few things here and there, removed a few things, but otherwise fine tuned the core of the game. That may seem dull to some extent, but NS has always relied on it's intrinsic strategic gameplay with all of it's nuances and subtleties rather than a large variety of toys.

Also, that being said, because of the complexities of balancing not only a FPS with asymmetrical teams, but an RTS hybrid also, adding in a variety of weapons increases the frequency of problems by far.

I'm not saying UWE isn't going to add more weapons and toys. I have no idea. I'm just voicing my thoughts on it.

<!--quoteo(post=2058839:date=Jan 10 2013, 07:29 AM:name=deathshroud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (deathshroud @ Jan 10 2013, 07:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058839"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->personally i see less of a need for railgun equiped exos than marines equipped with gauss rifles, once exos come out in full hives go down extremely fast already.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> Exos are only effective right now because of chaotic, unorganized way pubs are played combined with low player skill. When the average Joe gets a better, it'll become extremely obvious how useless and costly Exo's are. A problem Devs are probably trying to patch to some extent. Onos > Exo, JP > Exo, W3 > Exo.