About the upcoming assist points

_Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited January 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">(score system)</div>Sadly the facebook post that announces this hasn't much of information about it. Overall I'm happy that this will be finally addressed. Score may be not this important anyway, but if it helps even a tiny bit to get more players playing gorge, it is good.

But now about the implementation: Will it be a standard +2 for every heal spray? <b>I think a very fair system would be to give points for health: damaged / repaired / build / healed. Maybe health / 100 = points.</b>

This is much better than this "last-hit gets the kill" or "one lucky dude gets the points for the building". It sure is not perfect either. (There needs to be points for parasite or placing hydras and stuff) but it is much better than having a system that is mainly based on luck. To make the UI not cluttered, the "+X" would only pop up when an entity is killed / built or not healed / welded for 3 seconds.

I just think if they add assist points with the next patch anyway, they could fix the whole score system to a much better representing one. What do you think?

Edit: I will add an example for clarification.
If you and 3 marines shoot at an onos and the onos dies. You made 598 damage so you get 5.98 points. The other marines get points respective to the damage they did to the onos. The gorge that was healing the onos, gets points for how many health he has healed at the onos.

Comments

• SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    I agree with the basic principle outlined above.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited January 2013
    I strongly agree with giving points for healed/welded/dealt Damage rather than for arbitrary points on finish/kill.

I played quite a few rounds as gorge where we win and I have like a 15-2-1 score despite of having built 2 hives and several other buildings as well as healing countless onos HP. Of course often times as a gorge you get ridiculous amounts of points for biling a marine base (hello, turrets :D ) but the whole healing thing is highly unrewarding.

Also if I chew 2500 HP on a RT and right before killing it there comes another skulk taking the 15 points for killing it the whole thing feels kind of unfair. Of course I dont eat rts becuase of the points I get but still ... If there are points they should be distributed in a fair, not completely luck based way.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Care about points why?
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    Why? Oh, its some psychic reward system triggering mambo jambo in the brain. Don't hurt your little ignorant one with such useless thoughts. I mean, it isn't even this time consuming developing such a system. But who cares.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058333:date=Jan 9 2013, 07:58 AM:name=Jekt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jekt @ Jan 9 2013, 07:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058333"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Care about points why?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree, however, as long as there is a "points" column on the scoreboard, it should accurately reflect actions that benefit the team beyond "killing things" because NS is about way more that "killing things".
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118911Members
    I think it was a long time coming. Now it just remains to see how many points for heals. +2 for topping health off? Or +2 for 100 health...guess we shall see.

I used to gorge a lot of matches, but sI started finding building hives tedious, demands of hey gorge heal me, and thankless players. Buti know the role the gorge plays so I will gorge it up if no one else is. I also thank my healers. =}
  • natedawgy7natedawgy7 Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72586Members
    meh I usually get first if I am gorge anyways. I'm supposed to have 5x everyone's score now?
  • AshTraiAshTrai Join Date: 2003-04-27 Member: 15878Members
    The scoring system as a whole needs to be addressed imo. Support roles getting points absolutely needs to happen but as others have stated, having people "steal" points off u for getting the last bite on a structure or for being the last person to begin construction just b4 completion needs to be addressed.

I've seen FPS mods go from pure k/d scoring systems to a points system before and the points system was ALWAYS more representative of what actually transpired in game. You could immediately tell who was just frag-stealing or that the guy on 0-20 k/d was actually your best player cos he wrecked so many people that teammates managed to cream afterwards as a direct result.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Don't forget an option to disable score pop-ups in the middle of the screen!
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Assist points for welding, healing and protecting others\buildings really need to be in the game. I will help these people get the personal resource points they deserve and need.
  • AkelAkel Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176380Members
    IMO the game is about playing as a team to defeat the other team. So there are 2 different score options: you win, or you lose.

Really don't care about who did the most usefull actions. Then someone building a base is less important than someone who makes kills? And what if some heroic suicide action turned your tables, making you winning the game, then who gets the points for that? No score system will reflect everything correctly.
  • AshTraiAshTrai Join Date: 2003-04-27 Member: 15878Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058371:date=Jan 9 2013, 09:26 AM:name=Akel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Akel @ Jan 9 2013, 09:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058371"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->IMO the game is about playing as a team to defeat the other team. So there are 2 different score options: you win, or you lose.

Really don't care about who did the most usefull actions. Then someone building a base is less important than someone who makes kills? And what if some heroic suicide action turned your tables, making you winning the game, then who gets the points for that? No score system will reflect everything correctly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's no reason the scoring system cannot be fixed to better indicate the contributions made by individuals to the team.

imo, the scoring system needs to be adapted to ignore kills but rather, for example, 100 damage inflicted to players = 2 points, 1000 damage inflicted to buildings = 2 points, same for healing/building etc.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I agree you should get a damage score, but also keeping the old kill score. It's just such a traditional stat, would feel meh to see it go.

If there will be a damage score, for the love of Steve do not show the points you get from damage on-screen like the rest. Draw damage + points filling your screen when you empty a clip into an Onos. Ehhh.
  • TroubleshooterTroubleshooter Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171559Members
    edited January 2013
    Not every player is a team player... and removing scores isn't going to magically convert them. Having a score system broadens the appeal of the game to a certain demographic, but I'm not sure how that helps the overall community of core players.

Still, what's good for UWE is ultimately good for us, as it means more investment in the game from the top down... and all you have to do is put up with cyst-murdering ADHD marines looking to boost their score from time to time.

Coming from BF3 I can say that the worst thing that can happen is that you start tracking lifetime points totals or stratifying the players by some exploitable scoring system. I've already had to deal with one no-name alien player that went ONOS 8 minutes into a match and then never died again while we struggled to defeat a marine team that was putting up a hell of a fight. His KDR was more important than hitting the damn powernodes in key locations, and more than once we lost ground because he didn't have any strategic thought beyond getting a sweet screen shot of his score at the end of the round... which we would doubtlessly have posted in some thread here at some point to prove some unrelated point because he's a godly alien player I guess.

I play for the team win, I do like being top of the board too.. but I don't prioritize my score, I just like it when the game reflects that I did a good job in some measurable way to players who didn't track my every movement around the map. But I've won lots of games just by being a perpetual nuisance to the enemy without racking up much score but presenting an un-ignorable threat. No one will ever know of my heroic idiocy, and the players farming my corpse for points will look like they were doing a far better job winning the game regardless of the fact that they were losing ground the whole time they were chasing me around. There's no way for a game to track that kind of behavior or assign value to it... but the win at the end of the round is what really counts in the end to me.

Ultimately, scores motivate certain behaviors by attaching incentives to them. Rather than one player covering a doorway to stop the enemy while a team-mate engages in some score-generating activity, everyone will hump the scoring activities at the risk of falling behind on the scoreboard which risks the team objective for the personal one. I'm just worried this kind of thing could get traction in NS2...
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058416:date=Jan 10 2013, 12:11 AM:name=Troubleshooter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Troubleshooter @ Jan 10 2013, 12:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058416"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not every player is a team player... and removing scores isn't going to magically convert them. Having a score system broadens the appeal of the game to a certain demographic, but I'm not sure how that helps the overall community of core players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    contradiction.
  • TroubleshooterTroubleshooter Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171559Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058419:date=Jan 9 2013, 05:12 PM:name=Lofung)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lofung @ Jan 9 2013, 05:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058419"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->contradiction.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ESL?
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
    Assists makes sense in the pub world since score and points are a priority.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=2058344:date=Jan 9 2013, 10:31 AM:name=MMZ_Torak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MMZ_Torak @ Jan 9 2013, 10:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058344"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree, however, as long as there is a "points" column on the scoreboard, it should accurately reflect actions that benefit the team beyond "killing things" because NS is about way more that "killing things".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->^^This.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Still, people who weld/heal beacuse they know they have to do it in order for their team to win are much better than those, who do it for points.
    I don't always go gorge, but when I do, I'm the best gorge in the world.
  • Brad_RBrad_R pandas | brad Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8273Members, Constellation
    edited January 2013
    Stat for people to feel good about who can't kill things.

Glad we got that fixed asap.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Awesome they're implying we will get 236 next week. Either way score does not matter as long as you win but getting credit for doing these things is never a bad thing since you can have a competitive support player who wants to be on top of the team for doing what they do best. And then you got the other obsessive people that play games for points/kills so leaving them in is never bad as you can cater to a wide range of people. At least this game forces you to engage and not wait around with a sniper rifle like most other games.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    There is already a server mod that does assist points. If you put any damage on a target and it dies you get 1/2 of the normal amount of points, so for a skulk you get 2, gorge you get 3, fade you get 10, etc... I don't really see what the difference is though, score doesn't always dictate your contribution to the team. Comms get no points, someone who spends most of their time defending or calling things out don't get points. All they really reflect is mostly how good you are at combat.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Lol at dissing a points system, may as well just play friendlies, never keep score in the NLF, etc etc.

Some people exist only to complain and use valuable resources feeding their complaining face.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2058333:date=Jan 9 2013, 04:58 AM:name=Jekt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jekt @ Jan 9 2013, 04:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058333"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Care about points why?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've no idea. It's a team game. You can have all the points in the world, but if your team loses, that means failure.