If commanding is your thing...

13»

Comments

• MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2057410:date=Jan 7 2013, 10:22 AM:name=Amb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Amb @ Jan 7 2013, 10:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057410"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah and in 20 years I bet you'll be one of the protesters in the "ban the internet to keep the libraries open" parade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTwnwbG9YLE" target="_blank">Yeaaaa</a>
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2057417:date=Jan 8 2013, 02:47 AM:name=Pod)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pod @ Jan 8 2013, 02:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057417"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The spectator HUD is better than either commanders huds, hands down.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

and yet some people in this thread find the idea to implement the spectator UI "laughable"
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I don't think the whole spectator UI needs to be given to the comm, as far as marine comm goes anyway, like I said previously, the list of players on the left is fine, everything else is unnecessary. If you can't find your arms lab, get out please.
  • TripleZeroTripleZero Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167764Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2057138:date=Jan 7 2013, 02:32 AM:name=Amb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Amb @ Jan 7 2013, 02:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057138"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah I know that. What I'm saying is, the MACs are smart enough to know who/what needs welding but aren't smart enough to follow someone unless they received an "upgrade"?

lol...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

they had windows 8 installed and have to be upgraded to linux to work properly ;-)

Also about the powernodes. Why not simply remove the whole power node dropping thing alltogether and simply allow every marine to build a powernode whenever he wants.

It could still give a blue hologram off when theres a building present but if theres no building, its still buildable just without a hologram (to avoid confusing the newbs)
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    They'd figure out they could build it then waste their time eventually, it is ineverable, INEVERABLE.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Unrelated, but I have people mock my orders when I'm commanding.
    Any suggestions on how to rectify this?

I'm one of the few people that actually likes commanding, and apparently I'm a pretty good one(Probably due to commanding in NS1 a lot).
    <!--quoteo(post=2058120:date=Jan 9 2013, 12:39 PM:name=Frothybeverage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frothybeverage @ Jan 9 2013, 12:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058120"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unrelated, but I have people mock my orders when I'm commanding.
    Any suggestions on how to rectify this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the best solution is to just /mute, if you're showing great leadership then the majority of the team would side with you.
    My problem is people ignoring orders constantly.

You give them a waypoint, they go the other direction.
    You ask for them by name to go to location X, and they make snide comments, and proceed to try and rambo three skulks, a gorge, two fades, and an Onos.

Then they complain that you didn't give them enough medpacks.
    <!--quoteo(post=2058140:date=Jan 9 2013, 01:32 PM:name=Frothybeverage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frothybeverage @ Jan 9 2013, 01:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058140"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My problem is people ignoring orders constantly.

You give them a waypoint, they go the other direction.
    You ask for them by name to go to location X, and they make snide comments, and proceed to try and rambo three skulks, a gorge, two fades, and an Onos.

Then they complain that you didn't give them enough medpacks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

stop commanding marines, u know the majority of marine players are either green or call of duty scrubs. Just keep commanding aliens and beat the crap out of them game after game until they switch side, then you can jump on marine with decent players on your team. At least that's what I did and it worked well for me.
  • zenatsuzenatsu Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176363Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2058161:date=Jan 8 2013, 09:20 PM:name=Amb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Amb @ Jan 8 2013, 09:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->stop commanding marines, u know the majority of marine players are either green or call of duty scrubs. Just keep commanding aliens and beat the crap out of them game after game until they switch side, then you can jump on marine with decent players on your team. At least that's what I did and it worked well for me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can only hope you are joking.

<!--quoteo(post=2058120:date=Jan 8 2013, 07:39 PM:name=Frothybeverage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frothybeverage @ Jan 8 2013, 07:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058120"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unrelated, but I have people mock my orders when I'm commanding.
    Any suggestions on how to rectify this?

I'm one of the few people that actually likes commanding, and apparently I'm a pretty good one(Probably due to commanding in NS1 a lot).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have gotten some pretty rude players and blatantly ignored, so then I ignore them. Its funny to hear them rage, try to get people on their side that "commander sucked" then hear the real players come back and say "no, commander was fine, you're just ######." But typically they rage quit.

So if you get snooty players, ignore them and let them suffer for their ignorance and lack of team play.
    <!--quoteo(post=2058184:date=Jan 9 2013, 03:23 PM:name=zenatsu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zenatsu @ Jan 9 2013, 03:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058184"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can only hope you are joking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

not a joke at all. I only comm'd aliens after the xmas sale knowing that all the scrubs will be stacking marine, and they did. After a severe 2 weeks beat down they either switched to aliens (hoping for some wins) or left NS2 all together.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    <!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i>For Marine comms:</i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<i>* Show ARCs' firing range even when they are not deployed; also allow comm to direct ARCs to fire at specific targets </i>
    <b>-No opinion, since there may already be a method of showing the firing range.
    </b>
    <i>* add follow/patrol command for MACs</i>
    <b>-This would be nice, after all the current MAC bugs are worked out.
    </b>
    <i>* allow marine comm to queue multiple ARC/MAC purchases, also allow comm to cancel a purchase in progress</i>
    <b>-This would be convenient, hopefully not too convenient (causing balance issues).
    </b>
    <i>* pre-drop all the power nodes for marines to build at the start of the round. Power nodes cost 0 res to drop and cannot be destroyed by Aliens, making the comm to double click to bulk drop power node is totally unnecessary and plain annoying.</i>
    <b>-No, because of pub play. Pub players will build every single one. Maybe as a server option. </b>

<i>* a more intuitive way to beacon: when you select an obs to beacon, it always ports the players to the nearest CC. So why not just let the comm click on a beacon-available CC on the minimap to beacon instead of keybinding individual obs?</i>
    <b>-I don't like it. It makes it too easy, in my opinion.</b>

<i>* allow marine comm to cancel a beacon in case of an accidental click, the alarm should stop the second it's canceled, team can still be punished with no res refund</i>
    <b>-I don't like it. Beacon is like a big red button. Pressing it is the point of no return. Part of commanding is making the hard calls and dealing with consequences. </b>

<i>* paint a red patch on the minimap every time a marine structure is attacked, the same way when alien cyst is attacked. Also add a loud warning alarm when a structure in a "tech point room" is attacked, similar to the alien hive scream.</i>
    <b>-There have been some bugs attack warnings/messages/etc. If those are fixed, then it's fine as it is. A big red patch makes things too easy for the commander and the team. Also, the large blinking command chair icon, on the map(s), should tell any marine their CC is being attacked; the nice big CC health bar should tell them too.</b>

<i>* allow marine comm to drop scan, med/ammo spam directly onto the minimap in the lower left corner</i>
    <b>-I'd like this, but not sure if the devs want something like this. Right now, comms can't scan in certain areas of the map; scans only work on ground were marines/aliens can walk. I dunno if there is some other issue.
    </b>
    <!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro--><i>For Alien comms:</i><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<i>* make drifter say "the enemy approaches" when hostiles are within its line of sight (same way the SC worked in NS1 v1.0)</i>
    <b>-I don't like it. Too easy, people need to use their map.</b>

<i>* allow comm to direct hallucinations to do fake attacks on marines/structures</i>
    <b>-I don't like it. It would cause balance issues, imo.

</b>
    <!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro--><i>For both comms:</i><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<i>* when comm selects a structure/unit with an assigned keybind, he should be able to hit that keybind again the 2nd time to instantly move the screen to its position.</i>
    <b>-I like it.</b>

<i>* show players' names on the large minimap so the comm knows who's at where</i>
    <b>-I like it. I desperately want something like this.
    </b>
    <i>* implement the <a href="http://media.moddb.com/images/articles/1/108/107716/auto/NS2_Insight_v10_800x526.jpg" target="_blank">spectator dashboard</a> to give the comms a better picture on the state of upgrades (who's sick of asking their team 'what upgrade did we lose?')</i>
    <b>-I like what it's trying to fix. It's really more of an alien pub issue; when nobody communicates. The Khamm can still hop out of the hive and check.</b>

<i>* a more intuitive way to ping the map: middle click pings a sword which symbolises attack, right click pings a shield which symbolises defend, get rid of those useless alien pings such as "heal here" and "mist there", no one uses that crap. Also make comm's ping a different colour to player's ping.</i>
    <b>-I like "make comm's ping a different colour to player's ping". Everything thing else is unnecessary, in my opinion.
    </b>
  • AshTraiAshTrai Join Date: 2003-04-27 Member: 15878Members
    <i><blockquote>* Show ARCs' firing range even when they are not deployed; also allow comm to direct ARCs to fire at specific targets

* add follow/patrol command for MACs

* allow marine comm to queue multiple ARC/MAC purchases, also allow comm to cancel a purchase in progress</blockquote></i>Yes!

<i><blockquote>* pre-drop all the power nodes for marines to build at the start of the round. Power nodes cost 0 res to drop and cannot be destroyed by Aliens, making the comm to double click to bulk drop power node is totally unnecessary and plain annoying. </blockquote></i>No. Causes new players and stupid ppl to construct each as they go past them, including the hall way nodes. I can't think of any reason i'd ever want to build EVERY power node in the first place.

<i><blockquote>* a more intuitive way to beacon: when you select an obs to beacon, it always ports the players to the nearest CC. So why not just let the comm click on a beacon-available CC on the minimap to beacon instead of keybinding individual obs?</blockquote></i>No. I dont really think it's necessary. There are better things to devote dev/coding time to.

<i><blockquote>* allow marine comm to cancel a beacon in case of an accidental click, the alarm should stop the second it's canceled, team can still be punished with no res refund</blockquote></i>No. If comm is stupid enough to accidentally click it, live with the consequences. I can't say i've ever accidentally beaconed people and i've comm'd hundreds of times.

<i><blockquote>* paint a red patch on the minimap every time a marine structure is attacked, the same way when alien cyst is attacked. Also add a loud warning alarm when a structure in a "tech point room" is attacked, similar to the alien hive scream.</blockquote></i>You get 'structure under attack' warnings. Hive screams are comparable to "command chair under attack!" warnings. Fine as is imo. If you as a commander choose to ignore the warnings then that just differentiates a good commander from a bad one imo.

<i><blockquote>* allow marine comm to drop scan, med/ammo spam directly onto the minimap in the lower left corner</blockquote></i>hmmmmmmmmmm i'm not sure about this. You can't be that accurate with the minimap since it's so small so often stuff u drop wouldn't get used/seen.

<i><blockquote>* make drifter say "the enemy approaches" when hostiles are within its line of sight (same way the SC worked in NS1 v1.0)</blockquote></i>No. That would get very spammy very fast.

<i><blockquote>* allow comm to direct hallucinations to do fake attacks on marines/structures</blockquote></i>. Have to say that i haven't really used hallucinations thus far so i can't comment on this idea as to it's worthiness.

<i><blockquote>* when comm selects a structure/unit with an assigned keybind, he should be able to hit that keybind again the 2nd time to instantly move the screen to its position.</blockquote></i>Agree!

<i><blockquote>* show players' names on the large minimap so the comm knows who's at where</blockquote></i>Yes! I would even go as far to say that this should be given to the players as well (particularly Marines) when viewing their map as well. It is infuriating trying to tell some1 ahead/behind u to try and team up cos u don't know who it is!

<i><blockquote>* implement the <a href="http://media.moddb.com/images/articles/1/108/107716/auto/NS2_Insight_v10_800x526.jpg" target="_blank">spectator dashboard</a> to give the comms a better picture on the state of upgrades (who's sick of asking their team 'what upgrade did we lose?')</blockquote></i>I've seen this suggested many times and i'd be surprised if it didn't get implemented at some point. I would say though, that the tech block is a bit large and obtrusive as it is currently in spectator mode. I really like the long display that's shown on wasabione's twitchtv streams as it covers far less of your screen. I dont think u need the other stuff in that pic as comm but the tech bit centre bottom really needs to happen though!

<i><blockquote>* a more intuitive way to ping the map: middle click pings a sword which symbolises attack, right click pings a shield which symbolises defend, get rid of those useless alien pings such as "heal here" and "mist there", no one uses that crap. Also make comm's ping a different colour to player's ping.</blockquote></i>Hmm you are right with the alien ping things...i've only ever used the 'attention' and 'expanding here' ones.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058336:date=Jan 9 2013, 08:05 AM:name=AshTrai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AshTrai @ Jan 9 2013, 08:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058336"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><i><blockquote>* pre-drop all the power nodes for marines to build at the start of the round. Power nodes cost 0 res to drop and cannot be destroyed by Aliens, making the comm to double click to bulk drop power node is totally unnecessary and plain annoying. </blockquote></i>No. Causes new players and stupid ppl to construct each as they go past them, including the hall way nodes. I can't think of any reason i'd ever want to build EVERY power node in the first place.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Additionally, too many newb aliens try chomping these ghost power nodes and since they can't be destroyed, they become a distraction. If they are to be pre-dropped they should "blink out" like other ghost structures when hit by an alien.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2057395:date=Jan 7 2013, 09:52 AM:name=Amb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Amb @ Jan 7 2013, 09:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057395"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This phenomenon still continues today. You have people who disapprove the use of GPS and e-reader because "why do I need that stuff when I can just read a real map/book?". Remember when the first iPhone came out so many people bashed its UI because it didn't have a physical keypad? Five years on, who's still making smart phones with physical keypad today?

Sorry to sound harsh but I have no respect for nay sayers, they are the ones who are always holding back great innovations in the tech industry. I remember a great quote from Steve Jobs when he was asked in an interview on people's inability to type proficiently on QWERTY keyboards and how he plans to solve that problem, he simply replied 'Death will eventually take care of everything'<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't use a Sat Nav because a) I don't need it b) I HATE IT when cretins who rely on their sat navs go middle lane driving because their sat nav tells them to get into the middle or right lane at a motorway junction, when they should be travelling in the left lane unless overtaking (I'm in the UK by the way!). The number of idiots slowing down our motorways because they blindly follow their sat nav's instructions rather than using their eyes and brains is terrifying.

And I guess Steve Jobs was right, death really did take care of everything...
    <!--quoteo(post=2058188:date=Jan 8 2013, 10:36 PM:name=Amb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Amb @ Jan 8 2013, 10:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058188"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->not a joke at all. I only comm'd aliens after the xmas sale knowing that all the scrubs will be stacking marine, and they did. After a severe 2 weeks beat down they either switched to aliens (hoping for some wins) or left NS2 all together.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same thing can be said as a marine. If you have a good team that stomps aliens. you can only comm that same marine team, having the aliens rage-quit or join up marines.

it really dose go both ways.
    <!--quoteo(post=2058605:date=Jan 10 2013, 09:52 AM:name=zenatsu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zenatsu @ Jan 10 2013, 09:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058605"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Same thing can be said as a marine. If you have a good team that stomps aliens. you can only comm that same marine team, having the aliens rage-quit or join up marines.

it really dose go both ways.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that's correct, except it was impossible during the xmas sales period as all the greens were stacking marines.
    <!--quoteo(post=2058606:date=Jan 9 2013, 02:54 PM:name=Amb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Amb @ Jan 9 2013, 02:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058606"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->that's correct, except it was impossible during the xmas sales period as all the greens were stacking marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    People are still stacking marines, and nobody coms.

If I make the mistake of comming(I'm told I'm good at it), they start waiting for me to load before joining the game so that I'm forced to com.
    If nobody gets in the chair, I feel obligated to do so.
    <!--quoteo(post=2058683:date=Jan 10 2013, 12:38 PM:name=Frothybeverage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frothybeverage @ Jan 10 2013, 12:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058683"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People are still stacking marines, and nobody coms.

If I make the mistake of comming(I'm told I'm good at it), they start waiting for me to load before joining the game so that I'm forced to com.
    If nobody gets in the chair, I feel obligated to do so.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sometimes I like to comm, other times when no one will comm and I just don't want to, if they tell me to I tell them to f*** off and I go find some res nodes to kill. I'm fine with the game ending if NOBODY wants to comm, I'm not going to be forced to do something I don't feel like doing "for the good of the game". They can do it themselves.
    I don't like losing, so I'll comm if nobody else will.
  • ebag-alphaebag-alpha Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178430Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058338:date=Jan 9 2013, 02:15 PM:name=MMZ_Torak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MMZ_Torak @ Jan 9 2013, 02:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058338"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Additionally, too many newb aliens try chomping these ghost power nodes and since they can't be destroyed, they become a distraction. If they are to be pre-dropped they should "blink out" like other ghost structures when hit by an alien.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But than you have an even greater problem, because the newbie aliens will "kill" all the pre-dropped blue-print power nodes, thinking they do something good with that.
    All it will be doing though, is give away the alien spawn to the marine com instantly.
    I'm pretty sure though, that the new players will learn pretty quickly that they can't kill the blue-print power nodes and move on. Only problem with that may be that they might then think they can't kill any other blue-print as well. Thinking of it though, this might not be so bad, because it's way better to wait for the marine to start building and than kill him and the building, than jumping through the blue-prints (because they get all the res back this way).
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2058683:date=Jan 9 2013, 07:38 PM:name=Frothybeverage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frothybeverage @ Jan 9 2013, 07:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058683"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People are still stacking marines, and nobody coms.

If nobody gets in the chair, I feel obligated to do so.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I love comming, and I would rather have the seat open for me to take then have someone else do it. Granted there are games where I want to FPS a little but im twice as good as commanding then I am at FPSing.

<!--quoteo(post=2058900:date=Jan 10 2013, 11:57 AM:name=ebag-alpha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ebag-alpha @ Jan 10 2013, 11:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058900"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But than you have an even greater problem, because the newbie aliens will "kill" all the pre-dropped blue-print power nodes, thinking they do something good with that.
    All it will be doing though, is give away the alien spawn to the marine com instantly.
    I'm pretty sure though, that the new players will learn pretty quickly that they can't kill the blue-print power nodes and move on. Only problem with that may be that they might then think they can't kill any other blue-print as well. Thinking of it though, this might not be so bad, because it's way better to wait for the marine to start building and than kill him and the building, than jumping through the blue-prints (because they get all the res back this way).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess I am just really good at watching my players move around the map. I nip at the noob players saying "Dont hit the blue powernode it dosnt do you any good, move on" or throw down random tips to people like "Wait for the marines to build a building, its better to leave a blue building alone because the marine comm has already spent the res." This is a slow process to teach greens, but they are listening to you.