Deaf Commander is not wanted?

13»

Comments

• SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    edited January 2013
    I think being deaf certainly puts a hamper on things in a game fast paced as this one. Communication is key and voice chat makes it extremely easy. However, if you are serious about being a commander I commend you but <u>you will have to work harder at it because you cannot hear your team</u>. I think letting people know you are deaf when commanding is important too and will stop some of the frustration.

You'll just have to find a server where your situation is tolerated. Public servers are best I would think.

I don't care if my commander can hear or not as long as they can see the big picture while commanding and is making sensible decisions that are helping the team gain the advantage.
  • TroubleshooterTroubleshooter Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171559Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2055440:date=Jan 3 2013, 07:41 PM:name=MrFlip)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrFlip @ Jan 3 2013, 07:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055440"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->O.K. sorry to be harsh but....IMO just deal with the fact that comm needs to be able to hear. you CAN get by without that but it's pretty important and it frustrates players when the comm can't talk/hear..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

IMO, comms just have to be good. "good" is qualitative... you can tell when they are or are not good for any given game... it fluctuates based on lots of factors, but its easy enough to know when you have a dud com and when you've got a real gem.

Being deaf doesn't mean you can't be good... and so it doesn't prevent you from winning games. Being bad and being deaf aren't linked for any particular reason. I have muted my com for being amazingly obnoxious and still managed to win games (well... be on the winning team anyway...) without much extra effort.

The point is it's not right to kick the commander just because he claims to be deaf. I will say my first instinct would be to call bull###### on that as a clear troll move, but thats what the internet does to people. The bottom line is everyone should get a shot at the chair if they want it... but being judged as bad by your players might also have something to do with how easy it is to communicate with you, and so getting ejected is one possible consequence.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited January 2013
    The second most used function in my game is the mute icon, second only to the 'c' map button. Good use of these two (and not muting people who are worth listening to) functions provides an informed yet tard free gaming experience.

I think the problem with the OP is they are deaf - not in the game but in general, thus they are a raging angry deaf human (NEVER met a deaf person who isn't psychotic with rage) and all their comm skills in the world can't help, the instant thier fingers touch the keys they start flaming. Just like posts #3 onwards here.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    edited January 2013
    starcraft 1 had this UBER great feature, which was called SUBTITLES :PPP

i used to play in complete silence, just with subtitle on,
    because then my brain havent had to to all the censor work on the audio stuff.

u dont go to a heavy metal concert do get into deep meditation and concentration,
    u go to a silent room where nothing is moving and distracting you from what you wanna
    focus on.

so, if uwe gives a little support, he might be superior because of the extra
    brain resources he can use :D

instead of telling you that there is an silent skulk coming from behind,
    he instantly drops an medpack in front of you and you know: oh, oh, i am in danger!
    and most likely you would need the healthpack in the moment you step on it :D

edit:

ah, one more thing:

are some of you interested in playing in a team with a deaf com :)?

i would love to push my own boundaries in that regard!
    how hard/soft and move- and morphable are my opinions and habits?
    what boni could i find in such an environment?
    not just meeting open and friendly people who want to change them self and
    by that change everything around em, but what can i gain for my own
    mindfulness and kindness to the world?

lets do an other community started tryout there!
  • MakenshiMakenshi Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164681Members
    @op

I played on one of your game and dced midway yesterday (khaara Veil). I played 2 games on Veil yesterday, I don't remember which one you were playing through my fever-induced headache, but tbh both comm could have done better.
    I'm sorry, but you have to be more aware to be effective at comming.
    In one game, the comm dropped overlook and cargo while 3 of us gorges went to double and ended up res starved for over a minute before the comm was able to drop there. Overlook got taken down almost immediately, and for some reason you decided to repeatedly drop overlook rather than getting us the much-needed early game upgrades.

Eventually, we secured cargo and was on my way to gorge the hive when I dced. I tabbed just before the dc and recall seeing us swimming in 123 tres. The server filled up for a few min after I dced, and it's this part I'm not sure which game you commed. In both games, I came back to jp exos. In one game, a gorge was able to ninja bile control and I joined there as a fade (res carried over the dc) and we eventually won. In the other,they had jp shotgun phasing through cargo and arcs/exos on sub. The game basically ended in a roll.

Regardless, in both games, the comm never talked. I never heard those threat and expansions that you say you spam all the time. Even if I am the one missing them, if I, who already knew the comm is deaf, am not able to make use of your cues, you can be sure the rest of our team is doing their own thing (well, relative to you, we did have a few active guys on mic). Finally, there were quite a number of dubious decisions made with the repeated Overlook drop with marines present leading up to the stockpile of res we had before I dced.
  • Napkin2Napkin2 Join Date: 2013-01-01 Member: 177006Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2055479:date=Jan 3 2013, 01:00 PM:name=Makenshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Makenshi @ Jan 3 2013, 01:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055479"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i am really lazy to type to make thing clear at this moment. Yes, i remember those games last night. That match was devastating for us, Our skulks were doing horrible job. They suck at targetting and they end up staying in camos most of the times. Bad times, Inexperienced players. Hey, at least, we are all learning? lol, i dont think i was bad at that, It's just our players weren't doing job very well. ###### happens.4

Edit: I will comment more when i get back from lunch...
  • TSADroneTSADrone Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173807Members
    edited January 2013
    I have no problem with a deaf commander. I'd take a commander with fast reactions over the ability to hear mic chat any time. You can easily become better than 95%+ of pub commanders by just keeping on top of things.
  • waflzwaflz Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158459Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2054517:date=Jan 1 2013, 09:11 PM:name=Napkin2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Napkin2 @ Jan 1 2013, 09:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054517"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->sure, what can i do for you? just fu your mother? sure, will do<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep Trolling

(Marine dont have time to type ###### when they are shooting skulks, unfortunately you are adding a disadvantage to your team)
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055191:date=Jan 3 2013, 04:23 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Jan 3 2013, 04:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055191"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't recall him claiming to be an incredible comm. I had the impression he's trying to learn to comm. For a good comm to take a communication handicap after already developing all the tactical and mechanical abilities they need to do their job well is one thing... for a comm to learn how to do it from square one with a handicap the whole time is another thing entirely. How is he supposed to get better at it if no one lets him practice?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->won many matches, i knew i am talented to do great work at commanding. Even, Alien commander's orders are so much easy<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

His first post . . makes it sound like "I am a good comm but this game is flawed for use by the hearing impaired." . And while he is correct to a certain extent, it sounds like his experience of being ejected was one that any decent comm would have avoided, even without sound. His approach should have been "Hey I'm just learning to comm, but I find it difficult to learn since I can't hear, how about some accessibility options for deaf users?" Instead we have 4 pages of dribble.
  • PimpToadPimpToad Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166005Members
    Deaf commander not wanted? Well sometimes I don't feel like playing commander so go ahead.
    Do I want a deaf commander? Well I prefer someone who can listen to voice chat as that's why I have a mic to begin with.
    Will I petition for an eject if the comm isn't listening? Hell yes.

Sorry to say but your condition is a detriment to evenly contested games.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    If I were you I'd just let the team know you are hard of hearing and if they need meds/ammo/orders then teamchat y and you'll know to hit spacebar.

It would take literally a half of a second extra and 90% of marine->comm (not comm->marine though) communication issues are solved instantly once you get above average at commanding.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2055582:date=Jan 3 2013, 03:40 PM:name=joederp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (joederp @ Jan 3 2013, 03:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055582"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->His first post . . makes it sound like "I am a good comm but this game is flawed for use by the hearing impaired." . And while he is correct to a certain extent, it sounds like his experience of being ejected was one that any decent comm would have avoided, even without sound. His approach should have been "Hey I'm just learning to comm, but I find it difficult to learn since I can't hear, how about some accessibility options for deaf users?" Instead we have 4 pages of dribble.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol, don't start this... You are missing something, scroll up and read again.

If your too lazy to recheck it, ill quote it anyway...

"Otherwise, In Aliens' side, almost everyone rush down and busy zerging over marines and it doesn't require them to do something for a commander. Of course, indeed, i made clearly that i am unable to hear. they don't mind since i do great work. So, i did; won many matches, i knew i am talented to do great work at commanding. Even, Alien commander's orders are so much easy."

Look.... I was talking about Alien's side, dumb. I explained i was doing great at commanding in Aliens' side where they don't depend on commander that much.
  • fat catfat cat Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164696Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited January 2013
    i have no problem with commanders not having a mic, its not really necessary to winning a game. Not sure why your facing so many problems.

Even if your deaf, it doesnt mean you cant be a good commander, just too many supremacists out there that think otherwise.
    <!--quoteo(post=2055743:date=Jan 3 2013, 08:17 PM:name=fat cat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fat cat @ Jan 3 2013, 08:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055743"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i have no problem with commanders not having a mic, its not really necessary to winning a game. Not sure why your facing so many problems.

Even if your deaf, it doesnt mean you cant be a good commander, just too many supremacists out there that think otherwise.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I took one of an advices from helpful players in this thread which i kept my secret while commanding as "staying silent". It worked. Dont start to think i'm frustrating constantly lol. If it does, i'd be out of my freaking mind.

######, i'd like to close this thread since few advices have been very helpful at the moment.
    Hey Mods, Can you close this thread please?
  • TripleZeroTripleZero Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167764Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    First OP, work on your attitude and stop insulting everyone who doesnt post what you like to hear. Especially stuff like "fu your mother" ... just dont do it. I reckon the whole topic just makes you rage because youre feeling like some kind of second class player. Hell if i were deaf and i would get ejected because of it, id probably be really mad too.

Second, Not using a Mic and being not able to hear other people talking does give your team a disadvantage, its simple as that. If the enemy commander is good and coordinates his team properly (which is simply next to impossible by typing) You will always loose if the teams are atleast a little bit balanced in terms of skill.
    Also the players need to be able to speak to their commander, and when youre standing at the front line blowing skulk heads open you dont have the time to type. It also makes you completely useless for that duration (you cant move, cant build) which is bad.

Third, Some games do simply benefit greatly voicechat, and NS2 is one of it, especially when youre the commander. Its already hard enough to work with commanders who dont have a mic, but a comm that cant hear me or others talking ? thats just bad mate.

Now im not saying Deafness renders a victory impossible when you command or makes you a bad commander or anything, but as i already stated above when the teams are balanced and their commander is good it will be a loss with a >90% chance.

My recommendation for you is, command alien when theres no good commander with voip around, and never command marines (sorry but marine commander simply needs voip)
  • nikodimus86nikodimus86 Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163188Members
    Napkin2 you should definitely continue playing this game as marine and alien commander. Let other people react how they wan't to the fact that you are deaf. The fact that you are deaf does not make your skill any lesser, it makes your wins even greater when you win. :D
  • nikodimus86nikodimus86 Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163188Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055795:date=Jan 4 2013, 07:31 AM:name=TripleZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TripleZero @ Jan 4 2013, 07:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055795"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My recommendation for you is, command alien when theres no good commander with voip around, and never command marines (sorry but marine commander simply needs voip)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't belive you just told Napkin2 not to play so he would not spoil you your fun. This is a game. So what if you lose. I agree it is frustrating when playing with commanders who don't listen. But that is because they don't know what to do. This guy wants to learn how to play and give his marines the support they need to win. I am sure that playing with him as cmd would not be frustrating. You on the other hand I am not so sure.
  • TripleZeroTripleZero Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167764Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2055883:date=Jan 4 2013, 12:37 PM:name=nikodimus86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nikodimus86 @ Jan 4 2013, 12:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055883"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't belive you just told Napkin2 not to play so he would not spoil you your fun. This is a game. So what if you lose. I agree it is frustrating when playing with commanders who don't listen. But that is because they don't know what to do. This guy wants to learn how to play and give his marines the support they need to win. I am sure that playing with him as cmd would not be frustrating. You on the other hand I am not so sure.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So you think its fair to spoil the fun of the rest of your team ? If you loose due a silent and deaf commander on the marine side where teamwork is absolutely essential, it is not fun for anyone on the marine side.

Same goes for rookies who command on normal servers when they dont have even a little clue what to do, because they dont give a damn about their team and couldnt be arsed to watch the tutorial or play on a rookie friendly server.

In that case tho that is their own fault because theyre idiots, the OPs disability isnt his fault naturally.

Anyways, that was my opinion on the topic which i gave, i dont expect everyone to agree because theres alot of people like you who dont care whether they win or loose.

PS. i am an experiencied commander mate, im sure you would not be frustrated.
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    just keep commanding if you enjoy it, ignore jerks who flames you and if you get kicked out from chair, live with it, afterall, it's only public game and everyone should have their fun there.

i understand why people don't want deaf commander, it's only natural, on alien side it shouldn't be even a problem, but on marine side teamwork is much more essential.

basicly you can give orders by writing, but you can never be AS efficiant as commander with mic who communicates with their team.